SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:44 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
LOW Brother.

High glue setting on my gun make the foam looks like it encountered the blood from the 'Alien" movie

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:22 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I'm jealous. Where I'm at it's flat as a pancake, I would love to do some slope soaring.
i am feeling pretty sorry for u joe, that's a lousy flying field outside your front door

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:28 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
i am feeling pretty sorry for u joe, that's a lousy flying field outside your front door

chuck.
Yeah, good point.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:41 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post

chuck.
Yea, especially when all of the snow drifts have melted. As in 24/7/365!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
I am really curious how some of these models would behave with stabilators instead of elevators. I know the F35 flies very well with stabs.
Perhaps it would solve some of the built-in trim issues of elevators on some models.
I have another spare AMX airframe I think I will give it a try.

just have to add - slope soaring looks like a lot of fun! may have to try it some day.
The real BaE Hawk .. which is the foundation of the T45 actually has all-flying stab's ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
I think it'll be awesome to see someone mod the horizontal stabs to be fully functional stabilators. I would give it a try if I had an idea how to keep them against the fuselage and be rotational.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:34 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
448 Posts
I had done that. I still hated the way the plane flew. It still wanted to pull up on power increase and dive towards the ground in high bank angle turns.

You can easily fit a single bearing tube across the fuselage just above your thrust tube. The bearing tube will go through the molded exhaust ducting.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:57 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I had done that. I still hated the way the plane flew. It still wanted to pull up on power increase and dive towards the ground in high bank angle turns.

You can easily fit a single bearing tube across the fuselage just above your thrust tube. The bearing tube will go through the molded exhaust ducting.
But then you need to find a way to maintain the anhedral ... unlike the full size - I don't think there is any advantage on the model.

I built a Depron F15 ... plan showed all moving stabs ... I modified to fixed stabs and elevators. Flew just as well and easier to build.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Do you have any pics of the mod and where can I get a single bearing tube? I just think it'll be more realistic then what we have now.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:54 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
I use hot glue. Easy removal

+1 on hot glue. Lo temp of course.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:37 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,357 Posts
RC Lander have starting making their 70mm hawk with an all-flying stab's option.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
Preferably low to avoid damaging the foam surface, but with experience you'll determine when to use Hi. For example apply the glue to the non-foam surface such as the servo case/edf housing first to give you a little extra time for positioning and adjustment.

Yes it can be used for assembly. I used it on my F-35 wing roots and vertical (slanted?) stabs. The F-35 runs with stock motor and a 4S battery, it seems like a real rocket to be and I haven't had any problems with the hot glue joints.
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try it out as soon as global warming catches up to my area again.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:22 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Of "Stabs" and Stuff

Sometimes in the model community we get off on a tangent trying to describe nomenclature for components or features of things technical or aeronautical. Partly due to the influence of Chinglish and mistakes by well meaning but uninformed folk, that snowballs in these threads and on YouTube and I suppose elsewhere.

A "stab" is short for stabilator for instance. A stabilator is an all-moving horizontal tail surface. So, saying something like "an all-flying stab" or "free-floating stab", ect., is redundant. A "stab" is an all-flying surface.

Then there are the long awaited "Unboxing Videos" from your favorite hobby supply speaking about the "main wing" and "tail wing" and "drop hinge flaps" and... it doesn't seem to end. Ain't no such critters, just bad terminology. They are simply and correctly the "wing" and the "horizontal stabilizer" and "split flaps", and so forth.

Planes like the P-51 and P-40 have spinners but the doo-dads on a Corsair, T-28 and P-47 are not. They just have a prop hub and the bulbous thing in the middle is called a dome or prop dome (it's part of the hub assembly). So too, those neat shock absorbing struts on some models are starting to be called "oleos". Oleos are much more complex metered air and oil filled shock absorbers. All of the model struts are actually simple spring struts, they are not "oleos".

China may hold much of our debt, but we should not succome to being a Chinglish speaking community. Just sayin'.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
448 Posts
I didn't take any photos or videos of my T-45 with the full flying stab. By that point I was so fed up with the plane I was literally crossing my fingers hoping it would crash into irrepairability. But alas it was a tough flying dumpster of a plane!

I used scraps for the bearing tube and pivot rod. You can maintain the anhedral by first gluing the stabs into the fuse and then twisting a sharpened brass tube through nice and slow like. The pivot rod was actually a carbon tube. I had glued it in so that it fully protruded from the upper stab surfaces, which I then sanded flush and used light weight drywal spackle to fill the open areas.

If you like your T-45, please ignore my banter, as it's just an opinion. I think the stab mod would be worth your trouble.

Pardon my
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Chinglish
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:21 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
A "stab" is short for stabilator for instance. A stabilator is an all-moving horizontal tail surface. So, saying something like "an all-flying stab" or "free-floating stab", ect., is redundant. A "stab" is an all-flying surface.

Ted
I beg to differ. A "stab" is generally taken as short for "horizontal stabilizer" i.e. the fixed surface to which the moving elevator is connected.

Thus, the terms "all flying stab" or "free floating stab" or "flying stab" are all correct.

That being said, William Shakespeare once opined that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Use whatever terminology you desire, as long as effective communication takes place.
cmd is online now Find More Posts by cmd