Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Most of the good bottles now days have a way to keep a clean tip. It's so much easier to use than other glues...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
I got to where I avoid CA like poison, because the shelf life is so terribly short...way shorter than any other type of glue. Every bottle of CA I have ever gotten has gone into the trash 3/4 or more full...hardened and unusable. What a waste. So for a "CA substitute," I usually use Gorilla glue or hot glue.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:31 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,738 Posts
T-33 assembly...first problem...

Started dry fitting components and the aileron servo slot is not deep enough. I'm using HXT900 but it is too thick as in it protrudes beyond the wing skin by about 2.5mm. Do I have a defective wing or are others seeing the same thing when using typical 9 gram servo? Is the stock JPower servo typically thinner?

I dry fit the HXT900 into the T-45's aileron servo slot and the dept is just perfect.

I recall in one of these JPower 50mm threads a conversation about servo or control arm snagging and someone posted a pic of their arm shaved back to minimize problem but can't find it now...
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:19 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,738 Posts
Look at my growing tree!!! Feed it credit card and it will blossom more planes

This is my method of keeping things neat, else I'll be in trouble with the wife and not be able to acquire more. I have a tree for my warbirds also but those are much bigger planes so much bigger tree. I'll do a micro tree as soon as the 30mm show up.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
I got to where I avoid CA like poison, because the shelf life is so terribly short...way shorter than any other type of glue. Every bottle of CA I have ever gotten has gone into the trash 3/4 or more full...hardened and unusable. What a waste. So for a "CA substitute," I usually use Gorilla glue or hot glue.
I keep my CA in the refrigerator. There's a bottle there that I bought in 2008, and it's still flowing. Certainly helps to tighten the cap real good, too.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post

This is my method of keeping things neat, else I'll be in trouble with the wife and not be able to acquire more. I have a tree for my warbirds also but those are much bigger planes so much bigger tree. I'll do a micro tree as soon as the 30mm show up.
Like the little plane carrier!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
738 Posts
OK, My T-33 is all together. Fan rubs slightly, after a run up I could see some scuffs. I checked the CG and with the included battery stuffed all the way up the nose, it is tail heavy. I figure 50 mm is 2 inches back from where the wing leading edge meets the fuse which is barely in front of the aileron servo wire. Right now mine balances about a 1/4 inch behind the wires. Have you guys been balancing at the 50mm or are you finding a slightly more rearward CG works better. Just seems like where the 50mm mark is is too forward.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Let me check it later and I will let you know. I always tend to have slightly tail heavy planes....
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:46 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,738 Posts
skylane,
All of my EDFs have balanced way fwd of where aerodynamic logic would have it which is around 25% of the chord length from front. Something about scaling the EDF planes down changes things.

My prop warbirds has c.g. at the logical spot.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
Skylane
my t-33 was also tail heavy with the lipo all the way in the nose so i taped a 1/4 oz lead weight to the front of the battery and it now balances perfectly on the 50mm mark.. placing the weight on the battery allows me use other bigger lipos without the need to move weight around
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post

Very nice!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
OK, My T-33 is all together. Fan rubs slightly, after a run up I could see some scuffs. I checked the CG and with the included battery stuffed all the way up the nose, it is tail heavy. I figure 50 mm is 2 inches back from where the wing leading edge meets the fuse which is barely in front of the aileron servo wire. Right now mine balances about a 1/4 inch behind the wires. Have you guys been balancing at the 50mm or are you finding a slightly more rearward CG works better. Just seems like where the 50mm mark is is too forward.
Balanced mine right at the 50mm mark..Flew perfect..
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post

I also took a good amount of foam from the wing to make sure when the wing was mounted, it didnt distort the shroud at all. This was a wemo that I put in it, But I am sure yo would want to do the same on any fan..When you look down the tail of it while screwing it in you can see it depress..I just kept taking foam until it did not do it..Hope this helps
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
All the pictures I've seen of the L39 (without landing gear) don't have the foam landing skids glued onto the underside of the wing beside the servos. They are a little unsightly but surely you guys that aren't using them are tearing the aileron hinges, ripping off the horns or breaking the plastic servo gears on landing? Bad design really. Seen a few models like this. The horns should been ontop of the ailerons for low wingers.
DominicM is online now Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,570 Posts
I glued mine on but keep snapping the damn things off! Where I fly is several inches of grass that doesn't get cut much so there's big clumps of grass clippings laying around. As a result I don't think they are actually doing anything for me other than snagging on landing, I have yet to have an aileron servo problem with either my L-39 or T-33
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche