SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,662 Posts
Plus GG it's a mess ! Hate the foam up. On the hot water treatment for bringing foam back to shape, what I do to prevent alligator skin is run the back side of a cold spoon over the area. Works like a charm.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
Never!

Should I use foam safe or epoxy or what? Obviously I'm gonna need some reinforcing too.
Hot air or water to straighten out areas of foam ... short stubs of cocktail sticks to bridge joints and keep aligned while Epoxy (5 min) sets ...

I would advise AGAINST strengthening as this creates more damage further into the structure in any future crash.

As regards the F16's ... often I read that UP elevator trim is needed for straight level flight if CoG is set at recc'd or slightly fwd. My 70mm is no different as well.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,650 Posts
As for the F-16. I've built 6 (7 maybe) Phase F-16s at up to 173 mph.

Yes, up elevator trim..... even the big one.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Plus GG it's a mess ! Hate the foam up. On the hot water treatment for bringing foam back to shape, what I do to prevent alligator skin is run the back side of a cold spoon over the area. Works like a charm.

-Hawk
So when you remove foam from boiling water all you do is take a ice cold spoon to it and the alligator look goes back to normal?? i did boiling water trick last night and i put in microwave a couple of times to dry it out so i could glue it together,,but i have lots of gator skin...no biggie as this is a learning plane and has been fixed over 6 times and still crashes just as it did when it was brand new! lol
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined May 2010
1,839 Posts
I put the gorilla glue in microwave so it comes out of bottle like hot maple surup and it is very messy sticky over expanding crap...now i use rubber gloves..but let me tell you every piece of epo and epp foam i ever mended with this glue never came appart....and i crash and fix more then anyone else here and yes plane keeps breaking ,but never on the GG seam...Yes it does make a mess of your model and it must be grinded cut and sanded and painted if you want model to be pretty...but it holds very well for me...But maybe there is a superior CA glue out there i may like to try because i prefer finding the best product for the job..
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
i just started setting up my SkyAngel 50mm F-86. the fan shroud was so distorted....the fan wouldn't even turn ??? i finally got it out of the plane, it was actually egg shaped ??? now gonna have to find another fan unit. i took the fan off to check the balance..... do they not even care anymore what they ship out ???
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,650 Posts
Try putting a Wemotec microfan it. Probably the best quality, most efficient 50mm EDF available.
This goes for the HET motors as well. Only quality.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined May 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i just started setting up my SkyAngel 50mm F-86. the fan shroud was so distorted....the fan wouldn't even turn ??? i finally got it out of the plane, it was actually egg shaped ??? now gonna have to find another fan unit. i took the fan off to check the balance..... do they not even care anymore what they ship out ???
Its a hit or a miss as far as fans go i guess...I was lucky and mine was balanced and trouble free...even after over 10 successful crashes the fan is the only thing that never broke... Just a thought maybe if you removed fan and used some tape wrapped around outside of tube to get back and hold the round shape,,,its very thin plastic...as long as blades don't hit you should be good
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:50 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,957 Posts
how to make the stock fan useable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
15min of work and you'll have a pretty good fan:
sand off some of the blades (especially off the longer one :-) to get more clearance
take off all blobs of glue etc. from fan shroud and the foam it's going in
put 1-2 drops of oil on the motor shaft / bearing
mount fan unit in without or only minimal glue, and when tightening the screws of the fan hatch run to motor to hear when the unit is squeezed and clarance getting too small.
You'll be fine then
These 50mm EDFs are awesome, great value, and beautiful IMO, but definitely NOT plug-and-play (except if you're VERY lucky - and the longer blade on the rotor is from the mould, not an accidental issue of some units)
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
thanks guys for the tips !!

got the fan balanced perfect...it was...WAY OUT OF BALANCE..

will try to get the fan shroud back to round, and try again
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Tip for GG.
Pour in a mixing cup and add a touch of water.
Stir and let sit.
When it appears expansion has slowed, use normally.
The pre-expansion eliminates a lot of mess and cleanup.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,114 Posts
my take on the gg , it's unbeatable in some situations . for ill fitting joints w/ missing bits ect it's the best. just know up front it's not pnp glue. i wet all the parts , use a cut down acid brush to spread the glue, get the parts in position as best as possible , then continue to reposition as the glue foams. i always wear disposable gloves and have the denatured alcohol at the ready. once the glue is done foaming i just let it be and cut and sand down later. the good thing is if u get it to foam w/ the water , the resulting expanded glue is softer than the epo, so it sands w/o damage to the surrounding airframe.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Where can I get the F-22 or Hawk airframe kits? I might go for one of those is my F-16 repairs are un-airworthy.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Where can I get the F-22 or Hawk airframe kits? I might go for one of those is my F-16 repairs are un-airworthy.
come on, just get some water to boil (almost) and soak the parts in there, or pour the hot water over the compressed parts (from a kettle, e.g.)
The foam expands almost to the original shape, you dry the parts and glue them back on using CA. That's the beauty of EPO.
More 50mm jets are always a good thing, though, and the airframe kits allow for individual solutions:
HK has airframe kits, I tend to find them by searching for "mini", and then filter the search for Planes ARF.../ Replacement parts.
Only in International Warehouse though. Shipping has gone up...
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
www.hobbyb.com
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320