HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Mmm fact 1 "you'll crash this within your first few flights"........uh wrong mine flew great and still is 100s of flights later........fact 2........uh wrong mine is still stock and going great.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
There's always those that cannot accept they fail ... they blame the model, the radio ... anything except themselves.

I've been at this over 40yrs and I reckon I can only count on ONE hand the crashes not my fault. I'm not afraid to admit it ... whether it's poor installation, poor flight set-up, poor flight ... it usually comes down to US not the model.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
There's always those that cannot accept they fail ... they blame the model, the radio ... anything except themselves.

I've been at this over 40yrs and I reckon I can only count on ONE hand the crashes not my fault. I'm not afraid to admit it ... whether it's poor installation, poor flight set-up, poor flight ... it usually comes down to US not the model.

Nigel
Well said...Planes fly just fine until the humans get involved and mess things up! LOL
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
and if it is the models fault , it's really my fault for not looking into it's faults first

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Old ignorant post. Deleted.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Last edited by bunkx9; Mar 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Ignorant post #2 deleted.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Last edited by bunkx9; Mar 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
well u get what u pay for here. i would never recommend one of these to a " new to edf / non builder"

but for me i have never paid more than $45 for a airframe w/motor and fan on any of these , add a $10 esc and $8 for servos and some TIME and u have some pretty cool lil jets.

whats a habu , $280? is it better out of the box ? yep! is it a ugly flying brick ? yep !

is it better for the nube? yep! teho and yrmv.

chuck.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Exactly ... the design is that she should sit with nose down about 5 degrees with standard gear in ...
Some people start playing with incidence etc. thinking this is wrong - but it is DESIGNED in ...

My CoG is more likely about 30mm with the packs I fly with ... and she's a real babe ... glides in well ... smooth flight ... loops, verticals ... no problem.

To be honest - ditch the 800 LiPo and give the poor girl a decent size pack !! My maiden was with a 3S 1800 25C pack and she flew great.... yes she had about 25gr tail weight added.

See my youtube channel : "solentlifeuk" for the maiden video ...
I also bought 1600mah packs and I gotta add down trim to keep the nose up.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
Dav3UK, I'm not going to say or instigate anything, or respond to your forthcoming rebuttal; but 100s of flights later ON STOCK is pretty far fetched. I'm sure others will come to your defense on this with their affirmations. But, respectfully, I'm not buying it.
Well I try to log all my flights...I know its sad but I do.....I now have a handy iPhone app RCLogbook.

I have 6 3s lipos I use just for my F9, I charge all 6 and go flying. I only fly this at my local beach away from houses as its quite noisey and dont want to lose my nice parkfly site I usually use.

My logs show I have flown it on 18 separate days, along with other models as well because at 4 mins a flight it dont last long. That equates to 108 flights that have been recorded.

18 trips to the field isn't a lot is it?

I only use 3s so dont overstress any of the stock stuff.

The only mods I have done is make sure the fan was balanced and not rubbing and install a thrust tube.

I have a PZ P51 stock that got 300 flights before the motor packed up.

My Dynam Catalina uses 2700mah lipos and I have 10 of them so it will usually get 10 flights of around 10-14 mins when i go flying for the day. Thats a year old and has been out on 26 days this past year.

I have been flying for a long time so tend not to crash models that much anymore, usually only the 3d stuff close to the ground so I get a lot of use out of them.

Also the days of spending every last spare cent on planes and stuff have gone now I have kids, mortgage, and a wife......so I look after my stuff better than I did 30 years ago when eveything was expendable.

One of the great things that has happened over the years is the switch to cheap light electric models that can be flown in small parks etc. The downside is that a lot of people go it alone with no help and advice, choose the wrong model to start with and end up with expensive lawn darts. Thats the price the model world has had to pay unfortunately.

I was happy to buy the F9 as small chuck in the trunk kind of plane and have been happy with it. Would I get another....no.......but not for the quality reasons. These EDF planes are just too noisey for my local park and other sites I use. Until a couple of weeks ago I had worked night shifts for 4 years and therfore had every DAY off this was great for my flying as with kids in school and wife in work I could sneak off here and there for my 'fix' and that has meant all my planes have had some serious stick time in the last 4 years.

They are cheap and cheerfull 'China' models that fit a niche that has been created by all of us wanting cheap, exciting, unusual planes. Quality isnt the best and in some cases seems missing altogether, the forums are awash with tails of woe with chinese cheapies. Most of these are designed and produced real quick with I will bet very little product development to keep the price down. but in amongst them are some good models, the Dynam Catalina is a great example, the new Durafly Sea Vixen is fantastic but again to much noise for my sites, I like the PZ stuff as its reliable and fairly good quality.

My other passion is slope soaring and some of the models and kit I have used is up ther in the $1000s so am used to both ends of the scale and both have their place.

So whilst I agree with you dissatisfaction with some of the quality of these cheap models please dont question MY integrity, I spend time most days on here trying to be as helpful as possible and speak only from experience. If my experience differs from yours then it doesnt make me wrong....just different.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
In spectacular fashion my maiden didn't go well to put it nicely. I strongly urge any F-16 owner to go for at least 65mm. I was right at 60mm after adding weight and needed 3/4 up elevator to fly level, could barely pick the nose up and after deciding to abandon the maiden, lost it and it went straight in, lawn dart style. I remembered to replace my divot for all you golfers out there.

She will fly again. I thoroughly enjoyed the 90 seconds I had. Might I add that all of you trying to increase the speed of these models she probably be committed to an insane asylum.

Stu.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Slovakia, Veľký Krtíš
Joined Dec 2006
676 Posts
I made some more details after maiden flight...
pajlotmato is offline Find More Posts by pajlotmato
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,021 Posts
My F/A-18 is my oldest of these little jets. It has way over 3000 flights by now and had the stock servos up until about 2 months ago. My L-39 has stock servos as well and it is still going strong. And my AMX has stock servos in it. No issues there as well. You do get what you pay for most of the time but I am a thorough preflight person so I catch most things before they become an issue. Serovs are cheap as are ESC's.....My ESC's are $13 and most are over 2 years old now... What sucks to me is buying Eflite stuff for more than triple that cost and seeing them go up in smoke... To each their own but I have zero complaints about any of this stuff because I know what I need to do to keep them gong how I want!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
agreed , u can spend much more and still have a lousy failure rate.

chuck.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
In spectacular fashion my maiden didn't go well to put it nicely. I strongly urge any F-16 owner to go for at least 65mm. I was right at 60mm after adding weight and needed 3/4 up elevator to fly level, could barely pick the nose up and after deciding to abandon the maiden, lost it and it went straight in, lawn dart style. I remembered to replace my divot for all you golfers out there.

She will fly again. I thoroughly enjoyed the 90 seconds I had. Might I add that all of you trying to increase the speed of these models she probably be committed to an insane asylum.

Stu.
Thats an easy repair! You can have that back in the air in an hour or so! Don't give up on it!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Thats an easy repair! You can have that back in the air in an hour or so! Don't give up on it!
Never!

Should I use foam safe or epoxy or what? Obviously I'm gonna need some reinforcing too.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver