HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,042 Posts
L-39: no need to change the motor IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajlotmato View Post
I maidened my L-39 Albatros today...My setup: inrunner motor...
Superb paintjob, great smooth flying (and good filming!)

Also, I would think that getting the fan to balance would be easier using an inrunner. Performance-wise however, it doesn't seem to be a step up from the stock motor - here running the same fan, but not as nicely balanced. You can "hear" that they have around the same max RPM - excuse the non axial rolls etc., it was the very first flights, and aileron differential and pilot thumbs not set up properly

L-39 50mm 6-blade first two flights (3 min 37 sec)

And I would think that the L-39 would fly pretty similarly bone stock, i.e., using the stock rotor. I just changed to the 6-blader in this case because I ruined the 5-blade rotor when I sanded it down a bit (it never fits as there are some longer blades etc.)
I am flying on very new 1000mA lipos, so with run-in 1300mA performance would be slightly better (but it's good enough for my taste).

great model, absolutely recommended (and looks much better in the livery of the Chechoslovak aerobatic team that Pajlotmajo did!)

I would reconsider the motor choice however, I checked the specs of the inrunnder Pajlotmato is running: 5800kV, rated for 13A max, and at 290W WOT as he states this motor must be VERY inefficient and will probably burn when outside temperatures rise. The Sky Angel motor rated at 4300kV draws around 18A, that's more like 200W and heaps more efficient, and great thrust. For more speed a nip-tuck or thrust tube would be needed for higher efflux...

PS: Some may have noticed that this is the airframe only version from HK, no stickers - I am using the motor and ESC from another Sky Angel jet, so they are "stock" in that sense.

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
Slovakia, Veľký Krtíš
Joined Dec 2006
682 Posts
This is the L-39 Albatros from acrobatic group BIELE ALBATROSY that I was inspired...
pajlotmato is offline Find More Posts by pajlotmato
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Man took the plunge and bought a few planes ( AMX, F-9, T-33) in the past few months.
Thought it was time to order some motors (3).
Hope you got the 6000KV in stock Don.
Larry

PS Forgive me for not going through the multi open and closed threads on these planes but any insight on them would be most helpful to me. Post # or link would be most loving.
What Batteries do you all have the most luck with.
I bought a bunch of Sky lipos and they did not last worth a hoot.
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Last edited by SPEED-E-FLYER; Dec 08, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Very cool, I live in usa...Do they ship from china? how long do they usually take to deliver using air mail which is $28 for 2 shy angel air frames... thx for the link
They ship from HK and from what I remember, took a couple weeks. I've ordered a few times and in each case, was pleasantly surprised how quick it arrived. Maybe because I was used to waiting a month from other places.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
I maidened my L-39 Albatros today, outside temperature -5°C, wind calm, perfect for maiden flight...

]
Nice choice of paint jobs....
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:34 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,779 Posts
Quote:
I maidened my L-39 Albatros today, outside temperature -5°C, wind calm, perfect for maiden flight...It is EXCELENT FLYER, I LOVE THIS JET

Very nice L-39.

I need one. Another "little" chance to do the "Wild Child" scheme.

efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Dec 09, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:48 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Are the bottom mounted control rods any issue on the L-39?

I like slow, floaty landers so I'm thinking of going with T-45, F9F and L-39.
Sound like a winner? Are there any equal or better? (have the Screamer)
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:14 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,042 Posts
L-39 pods to protect control rods

The L-39 (even the airframe only kit) comes with coloured EPO pieces to glue next to the control rod for protection. Might cost some speed but I guess it's worth it.
I might have gone without because I put in 5.7g MG servos from HK which are really strong.
First I had wanted to change the rods to the upper side but I am running a CF spar in a groove above the servo in each wing half which was blocking this option (see last attached pic, I just cut a groove in the center panel line of the wing, put the 3x1mm CF spar in, and thin CA just gets sucked in).
I think the Sky Angel solution should work fine although purists might object because you can see it in the air (cf. the video of mine a few posts back from which I took the attached stills)
Really easy plane, the L-39. The F9F is more difficult to set up, I went for a reduced tailplane incidence etc. - but the L-39 is really easy. And if you don't move CG further forward from the recommended spot (I am actually a bit aft of that) it will glide and slow down nicely.
cheers
Clemens
Last edited by mopetista; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:28 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED-E-FLYER View Post
Man took the plunge and bought a few planes ( AMX, F-9, T-33) in the past few months.
Thought it was time to order some motors (3).
Hope you got the 6000KV in stock Don.
Larry

PS Forgive me for not going through the multi open and closed threads on these planes but any insight on them would be most helpful to me. Post # or link would be most loving.
What Batteries do you all have the most luck with.
I bought a bunch of Sky lipos and they did not last worth a hoot.
of the models u listed i have amx and the f9f . i also have the wicked wemo6k combo. it's just my opinion but the weight of the battery needed combined w/ the increased weight of the motor and wemo fan dont work well w/ the f9f . it went very well but would not slow down for landing w/o tip stall. i have a bunch of these different models and the empty f9f sits as i am not impressed. that being said , stock ,kept light , it might be ok.

the amx is small and sleek and has been lots of fun w/ the stock fan well balanced and clearenced w/ a30amp esc on 1000/ 4's . must be in the 80+mph range w/ unlimited vert and disappears quick. again my opinion but weight seems it would be an issue w/ the wemo system here and is not needed. it could work but set up as mine is it will rip around at 1/2 throttle due to the lighter weight.

the larger / more wing area planes in this line really benefit from the power available w/ the wemo combo and mine is killer in the screamer which has at least twice as much wing area as the amx.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,237 Posts
Anyone have any info on the A6? I know it looks kinda cartoon with those intakes but it is an airframe I haven't seen often. I think w/ the 6 blader and 4S it could have potential? Who has one, lets hear about it. I may grab one just for kicks....
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
of the models u listed i have amx and the f9f . i also have the wicked wemo6k combo. it's just my opinion but the weight of the battery needed combined w/ the increased weight of the motor and wemo fan dont work well w/ the f9f . it went very well but would not slow down for landing w/o tip stall. i have a bunch of these different models and the empty f9f sits as i am not impressed. that being said , stock ,kept light , it might be ok.
I used the stock motor and fan on 4s in the Panther and it's great! A very nice flyer.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:55 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I used the stock motor and fan on 4s in the Panther and it's great! A very nice flyer.
there u have it! no thrust tube, joe?

chuck.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,042 Posts
Light planes slow down better: F9F...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
...the empty f9f sits as i am not impressed. that being said , stock ,kept light , it might be ok.

the amx is small and sleek and has been lots of fun w/ the stock fan well balanced and clearenced w/ a30amp esc on 1000/ 4's . must be in the 80+mph range w/ unlimited vert and disappears quick. again my opinion but weight seems it would be an issue w/ the wemo system here and is not needed...
+1 on both the F9F and the AMX, I fly them light, and they can be flown quite slow and are really easy to land w/ stock setup 3s 850mA. Sure they can handle more weight, but you will have to fly them faster, it's a general rule that a heavier plane needs more lift, therefore a higher angle of attack at low speeds to generate that lift, and it is therefore more prone to stall, so the stall speed is higher.
Two things make life easier and should be mentioned: Aileron travel should be REALLY small on the F9F, or you might have a maiden looking like this

F9F Panther 50mm EDF 3s first flights (5 min 34 sec)

But all went well, you can see the very first landing, slow and easy. You'll also see how nice it flies, both fast and slow, and more than enough power for big air aerobatics...

EDIT: The F9F will benefit from a thrust tube. That was too much work for me, so I did a nip tuck, but since you can only do that the easy way on the sides and the bottom, there is now a bit of upthrust, neceesitating a mix of throttle on elevator (at WOT there is 6% down elevator or so). It will fly nice but a bit slower with the huge stock exhaust.

Concerning the AMX, I only recently went back a lot w/ CG, and it became a much more docile plane to fly - showing that it's still not tail-heavy but rather correctly set up. You can go all the way back on the CG range specified in Joe's great CG and data thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480110

The AMX then will be easier to start, will be more agile, and will slow down better for landings. AND still be even a bit faster WOT because there is less uptrim necessary as with the CG too far forward (had to correct elevator neutral position a few clicks after changing the CG, so it's noticeable).

cheers
Clemens
Last edited by mopetista; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,187 Posts
agreed on the aft cg on the amx , i am easing mine back , so far so good . also fwiw, mine is on tailerons only and very nice, simple.

chuck.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:41 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,042 Posts
how does the AMX roll on tailerons only

+1 on the tailerons, much easier to set up (just pin ailerons on neutral, just don't mount the rods connecting the servos to the ailerons). And it will drop less in the turns since the two ailerons don't go UP when you go up with the elevator in a turn.

The only question is whether the roll-rate will satisfy you. For my taste, the AMX is doing fine (here still with CG close to recommended, now much further aft)

AMX 50mm EDF tailerons agile and axial rolls (1 min 20 sec)