HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
Guys, I think it varies by whether the power systems are African or European. It's a simple question of weight ratios.
lomce-what is offline Find More Posts by lomce-what
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
green flyer,

quote;
This means that systems should only be directly compared with the same exhaust diameter. You can do two things:
- look at the Watts needed to get the same thrust in both systems, or
- put in the same power (Watts) and look at the difference in thrust

quote:
Generally the fan factor stays about the same over the power ranges we use, it is the motor that varies the most, generally dropping efficiency as watts increase.

again, only compare at similar power levels.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
Slovakia, Veľký Krtíš
Joined Dec 2006
679 Posts
Here is my modified L-39 Albatros with Slovak Air Force color scheme...My power setup: I used inrunner motor http://www.himodel.com/electric/5828...F130-2030.html from HiMODEL and I fitted it to this EDF: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4501 with Turnigy Plush 30A ESC and battery Turnigy nano-tech 3S 1300 mAh 35-70C which perfectly fit to the front of the fuselage under canopy, RTF weight 380g but more than 290W of power...video soon...
pajlotmato is offline Find More Posts by pajlotmato
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajlotmato View Post
Here is my modified L-39 Albatros with Slovak Air Force color scheme...My power setup: I used inrunner motor http://www.himodel.com/electric/5828...F130-2030.html from HiMODEL and I fitted it to this EDF: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4501 with Turnigy Plush 30A ESC and battery Turnigy nano-tech 3S 1300 mAh 35-70C which perfectly fit to the front of the fuselage under canopy, RTF weight 380g but more than 290W of power...video soon...
Looks awesome!!! This is one of the cleanest airframes in the series and on stock power it flies great. Anything over 200watts and this little plane comes alive! Mine has over 400watts and is fast but still slows down really nicely too!! You are gonna love it!
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
quote:
Generally the fan factor stays about the same over the power ranges we use, it is the motor that varies the most, generally dropping efficiency as watts increase.

again, only compare at similar power levels.

chuck.
Thanks, will do. I used Don's formula on several points on my video to see if the K factor varies, and its pretty consistent. The thing with my test runs is because I'm nervous to run it at full throttle for too long, when I plot the graph I only get a very small section of the curve. But hopefully its long enough to ensure K doesnt vary too much for a given system.
Anyway I will start quoting K values from now on, lesson learned

Next task, to swap the Turnigy set up into the F35 and see if it does any better, and hopefully reveal just how badly ducted the F22 is.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,837 Posts
African or European? Like a swallow? --------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
i just recieved my Mig15. i noticed one or two of the blades are rubbing on the housing ! is there a way to get the fan out so i can balance it....without ripping the whole fan unit out ? it's glued in there pretty good
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:30 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,022 Posts
rip it out by pulling gently, it will come off, the glue is a bit flexible.
then scrape off all glue from shroud and on the foam in the plane, and put it in without or only with minimal rubbery glue, the soft shroud is easily deformed, and then the blades scrape even after sanding the longer ones (and a bit of the others) down...
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:29 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
rip it out by pulling gently, it will come off, the glue is a bit flexible.
then scrape off all glue from shroud and on the foam in the plane, and put it in without or only with minimal rubbery glue, the soft shroud is easily deformed, and then the blades scrape even after sanding the longer ones (and a bit of the others) down...
Many of the 'rubbing' edf blades on these 50mm's are due to that horrible blob glue they use to secure the unit in the duct. All seems fine until you fit the hatch and close up .... then those blobs deform the shroud ...

Good mod is to remove all that glue as 'mopetista' says and just refit without .. or the thinnest smear of glue. I in fact use no glue on any of my 50mm's .. the hatch etc. holds it fine. With the lip sitting in the groove - it stays aligned fine.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
480 Posts
I've posted it before but I low temp use hot melt glue. All it takes for removal is some rubbing alcohol and nothing gets damaged.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:38 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
Here's an "Off Topic " post for all you Red Arrow BAE Hawk fans out there. You know who you are. My son maidened his 90mm Fly Fly Hawk today .The maiden went super smoothly except he couldn't use the retracs cus the nose gear would turn and bind .
Maiden flight BAE Hawk
20121130 1247 (0 min 0 sec)
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:55 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
mopetista, solentlife..thanks for the info ! noticed also that the motor is attached to the unit with both mounting screws on one side (instead of across from each other) causing a large gap between the motor & mount on one side. think that it why it was scraping
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:16 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
gotta love that quality control
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:38 AM
Slovakia, Veľký Krtíš
Joined Dec 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Looks awesome!!! This is one of the cleanest airframes in the series and on stock power it flies great. Anything over 200watts and this little plane comes alive! Mine has over 400watts and is fast but still slows down really nicely too!! You are gonna love it!
Thanks...I hope it will flies great...I will share maiden video...
pajlotmato is offline Find More Posts by pajlotmato
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:45 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Here's an "Off Topic " post for all you Red Arrow BAE Hawk fans out there. You know who you are. My son maidened his 90mm Fly Fly Hawk today .The maiden went super smoothly except he couldn't use the retracs cus the nose gear would turn and bind .
Maiden flight BAE Hawk
http://youtu.be/ufu-oJ4tSRE
Nice flying and its a really pretty plane too!! Once you get the gear sorted out it will be even better!
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33