SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The HK is based on the SAPAC version and is slightly bigger / heavier than the Lanyu. I have the Lanyu and it flies really well. For $29.99 as a kit + shipping it's a steal.

Mine has the Turnigy 2815 4200kv EDF motor
Stock fan as supplied
70A ESC - too big for normal use - I suggest a 50A is better.

I modified from front mount elevator servo to two small separate servos at rear so helping balance larger LiPo .... I now fly her with a 4S 2700 Zippy Compact .....

Forget the wheels ... put a 2200 3S in her .... she'll fly nice.

There's a thread by me with videos etc. here on RCGroups and also on Wattflyer ... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67178

Nigel
Thanks for that Nigel. You hand launch it on 3s no problems?
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:41 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
Thanks for that Nigel. You hand launch it on 3s no problems?
Yes ... she goes of straight as a die with a 3S 2200 in her ... Factory spec is a 1300 - but that will give a very short flight and also limits the amps into the motor. But she'll launch on a reasonable 3S ....

Before you fly her ... fill that nose cone with spray foam or other to prevent it shattering on first landing !

I must admit that I'm not a goood self-launcher and prefer another to do it for me ... my guys give a good shove to my T45's as you see in my vids. I also like my catapult launcher as I get consistent results whatever the model ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
I got one of those HK 5000kv motors too, couldnt resist the cheap price, plus my confindence in high tech inrunners got a bit shaken.
When I get some spare time I'll be mounting it in a stock JPower housing with a cut down Lander 53mm rotor. It came with the 3mm shaft mounted and the 2.3 mm as a spare.

Nigel you neednt be scared of cutting down a plastic rotor, its easy-peasy, much easier than swapping motor shafts. It neednt even involve any cutting, you could just file it down. Simply use a shaft and drill a hole in a piece of wood for the shaft and a marker at the right distance, and mark off how much blade you want to get rid off. Or many other methods of marking off. My first Lander rotor actually came with a faint marking line for 50mm already on the rotor blades, I simply used a razor and shaved down the blades by hand (however the spare rotors from HK dont seem to come with this marking on the blades). It was balanced just fine despite my crude cutting. The only problem comes with mounting the rotor, I am using a standard M5 prop adaptor for a 3mm motor shaft from Robotbirds, it fits the rotor perfectly. The only mod that needs to be made is to thread the silly domed rotor cap to M5 so that it threads onto the prop adaptor. I still need to go get the M5 tap tool.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1982

I cant guarantee it will give better performance, but it should lower amps and thats enough for my purposes, as I'm sticking with 850mah 3s batteries 45c, since my weight is staying below 400g
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Nov 22, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,999 Posts
Hi Green ...

mmmm interesting ... My concerns about working on rotors is that I have had 2 shatter under test ... one resulted in cuts to my hand that looked like a buzz saw had been at it. I've also had a rotor lose a blade while mounting .. the base of the blades is a weak point on many.

So lets say I'm going to trial a mod'd rotor - I need a link to an international supplier for the most suitable to fit the 50mm shroud ... the rotor as well.

(This'll please Joe ... )

Nigel
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:22 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,999 Posts
Anyone tell me about this one ?

http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...b-b17b80c294f2

I don't see any mention of the diameter - I can only assume that the model Id having 50 in it may mean it's a 50mm ?

Nigel
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,564 Posts
yeah...i tried modding a 70mm fan for my F-16....didn't act right at all. even after balancing it ? these are very picky
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:37 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,999 Posts
Further ... now read that the HK alloy EDF's are the Lander units ... and I've also read some pretty poor reports about them - especially the 4S unit.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nigel
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:51 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Only the first batch of the 4S version had problems. My 2nd batch (V2) has held up well.

On the 3S version, I had about 2 failures. One of them was my fault. I thought it was a 4s plane and flew it on 4s. I have 3 or 4 other 3S units that are still holding up.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Hi Green ...

mmmm interesting ... My concerns about working on rotors is that I have had 2 shatter under test ... one resulted in cuts to my hand that looked like a buzz saw had been at it. I've also had a rotor lose a blade while mounting .. the base of the blades is a weak point on many.

So lets say I'm going to trial a mod'd rotor - I need a link to an international supplier for the most suitable to fit the 50mm shroud ... the rotor as well.

(This'll please Joe ... )

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

I was curious too, experimenting is almost half the fun for me, and so far I like it.
This is the rotor I used, I have 4 of them now (but only 1 installed and working so far).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EDF_Unit.html
The first cut down rotor is fitted in the shroud of the 6-blade 50mm like you are using. It hasnt broken so far, even when the inrunner failed catastrophically the magnet fell off jamming it instantly. Seems to be made of stronger plastic than the JPower 5-blade rotor, but I cant say if its as strong as the 6-blade.

I think the issue with the Lander 50mm edf set is that the motors are a bit weak. Even my 3s motor 43g is weaker than my other 30g inrunner.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Quote:
Anyone tell me about this one ?

http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...b-b17b80c294f2

I don't see any mention of the diameter - I can only assume that the model Id having 50 in it may mean it's a 50mm ?

Nigel
Tim started a thread on that one I believe here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771199

He told me that his intent behind this design was that it would be a replacement, higher performance fan for the 50mm EDFs. I hope to have one in early December and we will try it out in one of our favorite Sky Angels!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,999 Posts
Just uploading a couple of vids .... the 50mm T45 with my set-up and the Lanyu 64mm.

The 50mm had the ET V3 Speed sensor fitted but I'm wondering if some crud may have got in the tube from a previous landing ..... anyway generally it agrees with the doppler at over 130kph.

The doppler does give a rogue reading of 185 later in flight - but I discount that. It was obvious in the flights that my 4S 1600's are shot after used for testing my Evil Twin Parkjet. So new LiPo's are needed. Sio given they are shot and not delivering normal power - 140kph seems fair for a good pack with my set-up.

This is the vid link - but be prepared that it may still be uploading when you try to view ...

T45 50mm on slight crap 4s 23-11-12 (0 min 0 sec)

Nigel
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
ESC placement

Should the ESC on the F-16 be in the airflow from the intake or is it ok to be just behind (and under) the canopy (just running stock 3S)?

Still waiting on my lipo shipment to arrive so I can maiden her.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
Air,

Mine dangles in the intake without a problem.Connector from esc to lipo stays taut enough for the wires not to be blown back into the fan.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Am I going to run into overheating issues if I keep it under the canopy?
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
As long as there's vent holes in the fuselage to provide airflow through the cabin. It should be ok.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20