SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I did, but it was no where nearly as pronounced as it is in your videos. I was using the stock power system on 3S. I theorized it was from the intake being lower than the model's CG.

Other than that quirk, it flew like a dream for me. My ailerons were working independent of the elevators.
Just thought about the intake too: it's below CG, and (that's my hunch) it can only get air from the sides and from below, the top opening is blocked by the fuse. So the nose gets sucked down a bit. Also that effect will be felt more with a rearward CG, just that "the lever is now pulled from the front, not the rear". That would explain why it's more pronounced on my F-16 than on yours.
I guess I'll just get used to it.

You had servos in the wings for the ailerons?
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Nov 15, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
You had servos in the wings for the ailerons?
Yup, although it isn't really shown, here's how it flew:

Skyangel Mini F 16 50mm EDF (4 min 43 sec)
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Where did you guys get the 50mm f16? I was thinking of maybe making my first custom set up. Not sure what I'm gonna get yet. I do have a spare 50amp ESC. I'm kinda looking at the new 10 blade hobbyking edf unit. Anyone have any motor ideas? I'm still fairly new so I'm not exactly looking for a 100mph jet.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
Yup, although it isn't really shown, here's how it flew:
WOW - fantastic flying, and what a sound! You must have balanced the motor, too, usually balancing the fan is not enough (my AMX sounds like that, and that was luck because none of the others do despite balancing the rotors). Plus with the way the rotors are tightened onto the shafts, I could not do the "clock method" the easy way, trying out different positions of the rotor to find the sweet spot. You have some advice on that, or is it taking off the rotor completely, and getting it on the locknut at a different angle?

Anyway, your F-16 flies great!!! Might put some aileron servos in as well.
Do you find yourself using the rudder much?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Clemens,
+1 on the elevon set up. I also have a 64mm Phase 3 F-16 and that's hpw she's setup but they have a large surface area. Might take your advice and pin the aielrons on my Jpowers F-16 to see she performs. Figured the ailerons would provide axial roll capability.

-Hawk
The spoileron set up works awesome when done right! The plane flies better when you use it the way that they have it set up...But you need to tune it...here is mine ripping it up...

Ray's Mini F-16 50mm EDF (JPower/Sky Angel) - Doing its "Thing" (3 min 36 sec)

I use the linked controls but make all the trims with the tail. the ailerons are always flat on the wing meaning that they are always inline with the wing when none of the controls are being moved. I still need to do a vid of this set up on my other planes. My F/A-18 is the same...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
Quote:
WOW - fantastic flying, and what a sound! You must have balanced the motor, too, usually balancing the fan is not enough (my AMX sounds like that, and that was luck because none of the others do despite balancing the rotors). Plus with the way the rotors are tightened onto the shafts, I could not do the "clock method" the easy way, trying out different positions of the rotor to find the sweet spot. You have some advice on that, or is it taking off the rotor completely, and getting it on the locknut at a different angle?

Anyway, your F-16 flies great!!! Might put some aileron servos in as well.
Do you find yourself using the rudder much?
Thanks! I balanced the motor can by itself then the rotor attached to the motor using the cell phone method. To maintain my balancing efforts on the assembled unit, I marked the can and rotor (while assembled). Every time I put the rotor back on, I realigned the marks back together.

At first I hardly ever used the rudder, until I learned how effective it was in high alpha flight. It was also good for initiating those nice Top Gun-like barrel rolls! The rudder didn't seem to much for coordinated turns. But I think the F-16 is such a clean design that it doesn't need rudder in the turns, especially if it's always haulin' donkey.

I just reread your request for balancing advice. I used weight additions in the form of lead tape and CA. Just rotating the fan by itself to find the smallest amount of vibration can only do so much. Of course, the quest for a perfect balance is a huge undertaking in itself. I tried, but mine still had room for improvement.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,092 Posts
thanks for the great advice, Whiskey and Gooniac, will implement most of the ideas (better balancing, rudder) in new builds since I don't want to mess with the F-16 too much anymore (it's not stored in my house), except probably try the coordinated linkages and always trim on the rear lenghts (tailerons), keeping the servo positions always the same. Now that it's flying ok I pretty much know the correct position of the tailerons, so it shouldn't be that much fiddling
cheers
Clemens
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,583 Posts
Quote:
EDIT: Video just posted. Here some information (since I cannot delete the post completely)

dynamically balanced, 3300kV inrunner, for 4s, 27A, more than 600g thrust claimed. 98g weigh
Turnigy 5000kv 2610
6 blade HK fan
Stock shroud
4S 1600 35C

No tubes or other modifications to the T45 ducting ... other than seal the hatch to stop air leaks with tape.

over 700gr thrust measured and video'd ... see my Youtube channel.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:04 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,739 Posts
Whiskey / Gooniac,

Some really nice flying ! Plan to head to the field tomorrow with mine. Was tto windy to re-maiden the Katana today. Basically, I chickened out cause I was there alone and wanted an assistant to hand launch and video while I could focus on wrestling with the wind. Always like to have as much as I can going my way on these events.

Anyone flying with the 850mah 4S Nano that says it's 90 C ? (850 x 90=76,500/1000=77 amps ) Is my math fuzzy or is this saying that the battery is capable of drawing 77 amps?

So if this battery could supply 77 amps, is reasonable to say that 14.8 volt x 77 ampswould produce 1,140 watts ? Wow ! Something ain't right !
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Is my math fuzzy or is this saying that the battery is capable of drawing 77 amps?

So if this battery could supply 77 amps, is reasonable to say that 14.8 volt x 77 ampswould produce 1,140 watts ? Wow ! Something ain't right !
Those numbers are unrealistic, the advertised rating is extrememly optimistic. That rating means that it supposedly can supply a 77 amp draw for brief periods without damage. The reality is that it wouldn't happen anyway due to voltage sag. The heat generated by that kind of current would kill the lipo fairly quickly.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Those numbers are unrealistic, the advertised rating is extrememly optimistic. That rating means that it supposedly can supply a 77 amp draw for brief periods without damage. The reality is that it wouldn't happen anyway due to voltage sag. The heat generated by that kind of current would kill the lipo fairly quickly.
Thanks Joe, I kind of figured so but was amazed that HK would have the gaul to call out 90C right there on the side of the battery. Even half of that is stretch. Ran up the throttle on the Katana with it and it does have some zippidy doo dah. Will hopefully see how it performs tomorrow.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,739 Posts
[

Side of my Katana
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,232 Posts
agreed on the 90 c pipedream . if i can get 20c continuous to 3.8 v at rest w/o heating over 100f , i rate the battery very good.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,550 Posts
anyone currently flying the 50mm Mig-15 ? i'm flying the T-45... just like the Mig-15 for my next 50mm edf
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
anyone currently flying the 50mm Mig-15 ? i'm flying the T-45... just like the Mig-15 for my next 50mm edf
Yep, love mine.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320