SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Mike,

I think Hobbyb has the early line on new Jpowers Skyangel releases. I went with the combo version w/out motor and bought the Don's Wicked 4800kv setup. Looks like it's sold out for now. Banana and Toysonics carry some of the others in the series.
I'm just more of a PNF buyer right now. I haven't gotten into putting together my own edf combos just yet. I still want to build on my flying skills before I start going for speed or playing around with different combinations.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
A good combo worth trying out. A fellow flier at my field had an AEO 50mm 8 blade fan hooked up to the stock Skyangel motor on 4s. Less than 19amps draw and just under 300 watts with a lot of thrust! It was in his Screamer and it was much more than 1:1 thrust to weight! I think that may be the best combo that I have seen thus far! Very efficient! It flew great too but even at half throttle it was pretty fast! My have to get some 50mm 8 blade fans to try out....
That setup is working very well for the screamer. Low amp draw, high thrust and good sound. It did take some modification to the AEO housing. The screw holes are just a hair too close together. I used a dremel and a cheap diamond cylindrical bit that just fit into the hole to remove some material toward the outside of the mount, making the holes more of a slot. I didn't have to remove muich material. Just a little bit. It could probably be done with a small round file too. And since the AEO motors mount differently, as has been pointed out in this thread, it does take a fairly long screw to attach the motor (2.5x10) and the rotor is 8mm away from the front bearing, but if it is balanced, it doesn't seem to be an issue. The AEO rotor adapter does fit on the J-Power motor threaded shaft snugly enough, although I was worried about that at first. I was very happy with how this worked out.

You may want to note however that I had made a second combo unit to put into another of my 50mm jets and that one isn't balanced or has a bent shaft, I'm not sure. I'm going to have to take a look at that one to see what is going on with it. Maybe it jjust needs to be balanced, but the one I put in the screamer is working great.
Tom77 is offline Find More Posts by Tom77
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Stupid question guys. I took the plane out today and on my 2nd flight the ESC acted up again. BUT WAIT!!!!! Now this flight I forgot to set timer and I set it about a min into flight. Around 3 1/2 min I heard the motor slowing down and then I knew the same thine as happening as last time. Last time I did the same exact thing with the timer and it limited the motors rpms but I still had full control of the control surfaces. Now does the stock ESC have a function like the champ where it cuts off the motor if the volts get too low that way you still have enough battery power to control the plane as it lands? When I checked the battery voltage it was sitting at 3.3 volts. Now I usually don't go past 3 min and that leaves 3.7 volts in the battery. So if it does maybe I don't have an ESC or BEC problem maybe it's just a safety feature. What made me think the ESC burned out is because after I got the plane out of the tree all control surfaces and motor weren't responding. So maybe the battery was just too low at that time. Another thing is battery placement. I have my battery shoved almost to the elevator servo and with some weight in the back it finally almost levels out but is still a little nose heavy. But in flight it acts tail heavy and just wants to fly straight up. I have a lot of down elevator to try and keep the nose down. Does this mean I should forget about my cg reading on my cg machine and just take that weight off the back and put the battery in the battery slot in the nose? For weight in the back I have a nickel and penny double sided taped to my vertical stabilizer.

Heres where my battery is at now:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352827957.123868.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 93.3 KB
Description:
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
Now does the stock ESC have a function like the champ where it cuts off the motor if the volts get too low that way you still have enough battery power to control the plane as it lands? ]
Yes. It's called low voltage cutoff (LVC). On my FAQ thread, you'll find how to program the ESC including low voltage cut features..... depending on where you bought it from. If it's from HK, you're on your own. You can try some of the other's program versions and see if they work, no guarantees.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480110

If you lost power to the flight control surfaces, that's not due to a low voltage cutoff. The LVC only cuts motor power.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Ok thanks. Thats what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if it was equipped with it or not. I don't think I'm gonna try and program it or anything cause it cutting out at 3.3v a cell is reasonable. I don't want to run the batteries down too much anyway. What I don't understand is their both rated at 40c but come down warm.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks. Thats what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if it was equipped with it or not. I don't think I'm gonna try and program it or anything cause it cutting out at 3.3v a cell is reasonable. I don't want to run the batteries down too much anyway. What I don't understand is their both rated at 40c but come down warm.
let me explain the 40c thing............ they lie.

or should i say they stretch the truth. all the 40 c continuous rating means is the battery wont blow up and or light on fire used at 40c , maybe.

the realistic numbers for some kind of reasonable cycle life are about 1/2 of the printed . if u have a 40c 1000 and use it at 20amps or , 20 c and u use 100% of the rated capacity its a 3 min discharge. so 40 c discharge would be ~ about 1 min w/ o hurting the battery, not very realistic anyway.

chuck
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Last edited by chas650r; Nov 13, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
So what's a reasonable flight time on a 1000mah 25c battery? It'd help to know so I can set my TX timer so I'm not landing at LVC.

My other planes I try to land with 3.8v/cell (storage) so I don't have to charge them.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
So what's a reasonable flight time on a 1000mah 25c battery? It'd help to know so I can set my TX timer so I'm not landing at LVC.

My other planes I try to land with 3.8v/cell (storage) so I don't have to charge them.
well that depends on a lot of unknowns . imo your 3.8 at rest is perfect after the flight , that's what i shoot for w/ 3.7 being the absolute min .

so i start w/ a low # on the timer and land and check , adjust from there. typical for my flight style is 2.5 to 3.5 minutes on all of my jets ,depending. i see good battery cycle life this way.

chuck.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Thanks for the helpful tip chas650r. I'm sorry for all these newbie posts but I am very new to the edf part of the hobby and airplane hobby as well. I honestly haven't used an electric vehicle since the 90s. I've been into the nitro trucks and cars since. So I thank you guys for helping me along.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,313 Posts
glad to help, and believe me u are ahead of many just knowing how to test min cell voltage. battery management is a big part of this.

chuck.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Quote:
Stupid question guys. I took the plane out today and on my 2nd flight the ESC acted up again. BUT WAIT!!!!! Now this flight I forgot to set timer and I set it about a min into flight. Around 3 1/2 min I heard the motor slowing down and then I knew the same thine as happening as last time. Last time I did the same exact thing with the timer and it limited the motors rpms but I still had full control of the control surfaces. Now does the stock ESC have a function like the champ where it cuts off the motor if the volts get too low that way you still have enough battery power to control the plane as it lands? When I checked the battery voltage it was sitting at 3.3 volts. Now I usually don't go past 3 min and that leaves 3.7 volts in the battery. So if it does maybe I don't have an ESC or BEC problem maybe it's just a safety feature. What made me think the ESC burned out is because after I got the plane out of the tree all control surfaces and motor weren't responding. So maybe the battery was just too low at that time. Another thing is battery placement. I have my battery shoved almost to the elevator servo and with some weight in the back it finally almost levels out but is still a little nose heavy. But in flight it acts tail heavy and just wants to fly straight up. I have a lot of down elevator to try and keep the nose down. Does this mean I should forget about my cg reading on my cg machine and just take that weight off the back and put the battery in the battery slot in the nose? For weight in the back I have a nickel and penny double sided taped to my vertical stabilizer.

Heres where my battery is at now:

Attachment 5301274
ESC should have a low voltage cut off but I do not think the ESC in the 50mm EDF do. As a couple months ago I forget to reset the timer and I was using a Nanotech battery I banked into a turn then motor cut out then half second later it just drop out of the sky on to Tarmac (new plane time). When I check to battery it said 6.6volts after than I do not think the red ESC have a LVC or it is not activated.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
ESC should have a low voltage cut off but I do not think the ESC in the 50mm EDF do. As a couple months ago I forget to reset the timer and I was using a Nanotech battery I banked into a turn then motor cut out then half second later it just drop out of the sky on to Tarmac (new plane time). When I check to battery it said 6.6volts after than I do not think the red ESC have a LVC or it is not activated.
That really sounds odd. Mine seems to shut off the motor at 9.9v. Or at least it did the last two times. Maybe you have a bad ESC?

Bad sadly it was late afternoon right before dark and I lost orientation on the plane. I thought the plane was going up but really it was coming down. I pushed the stick up to bring the nose down and instead I went into a slow and low inverted flight, by the time I realized where it was headed it was too late to pull back or roll so I just stayed in it hoping for the best and it slammed into a tree. Found out how to get the wings off! Lol fuselage was untouched but the vertical stabilizer was ripped off and the main wing was broken in three pieces. The plastic on the canopy was broken as well. I guess it's a learning experience since this is basically my first edf. My 30mm f86 really didn't make it off the ground. Well on to hobbyking to order the kit version. At least I can move the control rods above the wing this time cause before my crash I stripped one of the aileron servos from a fast landing.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Don,t give up on her!!! Abit of epoxy and hot glue and she,ll be good as new! (like a few of mine - maybe not)
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
I would try but I'm missing half of my vertical stabilizer. I'm thinking now of just getting another ARF version and that way I'll have some extra parts for anymore mishaps. Plus I'm looking at getting a couple hxt900 servos. Out of the box the stock servos would start twitching every once in a while. I don't know if that was cause I limited their movement to 50% or what but they only did it when I moved the right stick all the way to the left or right.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,175 Posts
What an awesome day to fly yesterday!! It was 68 degrees and next to no wind! Got to fly the fleet of 50mm's and ran into Micromantis while I was out there. He had his new Screamer out there with Don's Wicked Wemo 6000kv set up ON 4S!!!!!!! Words can't describe how well this thing flies and how insanely fast it is!!! I was able to get some stick time with this little beast and then shot this video....

Skyangel Screamer 50mm with Don's Wicked Wemo (2 min 35 sec)
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33