HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:22 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
Do I need to get the program card for the hobby wing 40amp ESC?
No ... but a card suited to the ESC you have is a great little tool ...

I use the Turnigy card as I use only Turnigy / Hobby King stuff .. the Mystery I also use on some gear is non card suitable - so that gets done by the throttle stick method.

But be careful to make sure the card you buy is correct for the ESC you have ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,485 Posts
Quote:
I got this after moving the battery back so looks like I'm gonna have to cut out some foam.
Attachment 5293918
The T45 as per manual should balance with slight nose down angle ...

Here's mine on the 'hook' I use ..

Here's the metal plate I use to balance her for heavy LiPo's ..

Cut in half and each part side of fin with self-tapper screws and double side tape. Bit of white packing tape over top and only see it when close up.

Here's the 1800 3S pack it balances :

I now have the packs further back - having pushed the RX under the front of the servo area. I removed the foam wall there. The plates at rear are still there ... and I will remove later when I change to 2 rear mount elevator servos instead of the single front one.

To those that consider adding CF in the front ... pls don't. It's much better tio have a more spread solution such as this after removal of foam :

A thin plate of balsa that supports and spreads load ...

But as I say earlier ... my battery packs now are further back and longer - so they completely fill that space back to the servo mount. Rx is a 8ch FrSky pushed under the front servo mount wall.

Nigel
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
@nigel my only problem with your way of getting the ESC out is I CA'd her in there pretty good so I have a feeling when I try to remove it, it's gonna take some foam with it. I hope not too much but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,523 Posts
i'm using a 1000mah 3S 30c batt. on my stock 50mm T-45. just seems like it dosen't have enough power to fly ? long runway takeoff....won't get in the air. hand lauch @ full throttle......just goes into a belly landing

i can fly....this has got me baffled a little
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:05 AM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
KC, maybe a silly suggestion but have you set the high throttle point. A mate couldn't get his 50mm Mig 15 to get off the back end of the curve, I asked about full throttle setting, we checked it and zoom, fun flying for the rest of the morning. Another mates T45 hand launches well but not a real startling climb out on stock elecs.
Hope you get it sorted, Dave.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:32 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i'm using a 1000mah 3S 30c batt. on my stock 50mm T-45. just seems like it dosen't have enough power to fly ? long runway takeoff....won't get in the air. hand lauch @ full throttle......just goes into a belly landing

i can fly....this has got me baffled a little
I am surprised my T-45 hand launched fine on 1000mah 3s Turnigy blue. A slight under hand toss at about 20degree up angle. It is one of the easiest planes I have hand launched.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:59 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,485 Posts
Quote:
@nigel my only problem with your way of getting the ESC out is I CA'd her in there pretty good so I have a feeling when I try to remove it, it's gonna take some foam with it. I hope not too much but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
OUCH !!

When you replace it .... try my trick .... a cocktail stick pushed through fuselage side to other side ... trapping the ESC in place ....

Nigel
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Yea ill have to do that when I get the new ESC. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
If you still have the heatshrink on you can cut off the heat shrink from the top and remove the electronics. Since the glue is attached to the heat shrink, so by removing the heat shrink you get the ESC out. All that'll be left is some heat shrink that was glued in.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Very true I never thought of that. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Anyone know if the stock ESC has a safety feature where it shuts down if it gets too hot? Cause now it works and my plane responds.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know if the stock ESC has a safety feature where it shuts down if it gets too hot? Cause now it works and my plane responds.
Many do, not sure if the stock one does or not. Evidently it does. I would not fly the plane with that ESC unless you bypass the internal BEC and install a seperate BEC.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Well I already ordered a hobbyking 50amp ESC so I guess I'll just switch it out. I really don't trust the stock one. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that one. Anyone let their planes sit for a certain amount of time before the next flight? I waited about 5-10 min in between each flight. Flew WOT at the most 20-30 sec (going against the wind) and I'm using a 3s battery. I'm not understanding why my battery was coming down pretty warm and my ESC got that hot that it shut down. I mean it is in the inlet in front of the motor so it has to have air moving over it.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,689 Posts
Mike,

The 50amp esc will solve your problem.Not sure about the little 2mm plugs though. I do recall experiencing an esc shut down on the T-45 w/ the 30 amper. Helpless feeling.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,315 Posts
I also have toasted three 30 A ESCs in ( oddly enough) the T-45. 2 resulted in crashes and 1 smoked on the ground. I think all were on a 4 cell li-po.
NO MO 30A for me .1 time oops, 2 times double oops 3rd time I guess I'm a slow learner .
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41