SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,756 Posts
metalguy,
With the MiG, it seems weird to force my brain to know that it's o.k. with this plane to toss very level or even slightly down. I've had many crashes from slightly up angle toss.

Love the classic looks of it once airborne though.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
metalguy,
With the MiG, it seems weird to force my brain to know that it's o.k. with this plane to toss very level or even slightly down. I've had many crashes from slightly up angle toss.

Love the classic looks of it once airborne though.
It's only recent years that the launch at pitched up angle has become prevalent. For many years - it was normal to launch straight level or with slight down angle - to allow model to gain flying speed ....

Put it another way ....... if you test glide a model before committing to flight (how many do that now ??) - no way will you pitch up at launch - it would be a useless test ... so you launch flat ot slight down to see the glide of the model.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
It's only recent years that the launch at pitched up angle has become prevalent. For many years - it was normal to launch straight level or with slight down angle - to allow model to gain flying speed ....

Put it another way ....... if you test glide a model before committing to flight (how many do that now ??) - no way will you pitch up at launch - it would be a useless test ... so you launch flat ot slight down to see the glide of the model.

Nigel
that being said, i have launched at least 50 different models in the last 40 years and this is 1 of the weirdest ever.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
that being said, i have launched at least 50 different models in the last 40 years and this is 1 of the weirdest ever.
I have most of the Jpower Jets, and there are several of them that require this. The Mig-15, F9F and the A-8 all require that level flat push or it results in a pitch up and stall. All the rest can be tossed with a slight upward angle. I can't comment on the F-35 and A-6, those two aren't in the hanger yet.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,957 Posts
launching the MiG-15

I don't know - mine is very light (850mA Nanotech 25C, front weight removed, light RX), and with the tailplane incidence reduced it launches easily, and flies great.
My advice would be to keep it light, there's plenty of thrust stock on 3s, here's a launch, and an entire flight, lots of loops, slower flying etc.

MiG-15 50mm stock entire flight plus bonus loop (5 min 8 sec)

Still my favourite 50mm jet, love the classic looks as well

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
with the tailplane incidence reduced it launches easily,
That's the difference right there.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
821 Posts
I had the same experience with the 35mm Mig 15. Had a few funny launches any upward angle launch resulted in stall and spin. Luckily the 35mm jets are so light they usually suffer no damage from a bad launch over grass. Admittedly this one was a bit tail heavy too, with a euro coin taped under the chin it launches much better.
This one also has a slightly bent right wing which makes it want to bank left. A real challenge to fly

Mopetista, I really like the Austrian countryside, looks like a very nice place to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=j768mnkRE_4
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Oct 11, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
I had the same experience with the 35mm Mig 15
same thing here.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:57 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,770 Posts
I discovered a simple thing that gave me much more thrust on this one, which attributed to the poor launches. I had been using 1300mAh 3s 30c batteries, and they gave "just ok" performance, but when I put one of my 40-90C nano-tech batteries, it was like a new jet. (well, technically, it is new, three days old...) More power, easier launches, and plenty more authority. I too like the classic lines while its in the air. Sure brings the kids over, too. And the questions...."can I try it?" -----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
Got my Katana yesterday.....gonna get started on it tonite!! It looks really good!! May need a spar though...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on the F-16 (from HK). This will be my first EDF but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm planning on using my 3S 1300 nanos initially. Dies anyone have a photo of one in the F-16? Also, do you need to add weight to the tail to balance it?

Cheers.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,661 Posts
Airbus,

I think the F-16 might be the fastest in the bunch. One thing to be on the lookout for is squeezing your 1300 nano's in the cabin. Pretty tight quarters compared to the T-45. I had to go with a small Hyperion.

Good Luck !

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Did some experimenting with the rudder on the Katana. I'll need to do some tuning as a knife edge while attempting straight causes it to balloon paralllel to the wings. That means if you roll left 90 and add rudder, it keeps the nose up but the plane ends up flying in a left hand circle. It takes down stick to keep it straight. I might play with the flapperons and see if that will keep it straight without stick input. A knife edge pass looks really cool though! Once I get this dialed, I have to get some video.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Did some experimenting with the rudder on the Katana. I'll need to do some tuning as a knife edge while attempting straight causes it to balloon paralllel to the wings. That means if you roll left 90 and add rudder, it keeps the nose up but the plane ends up flying in a left hand circle. It takes down stick to keep it straight. I might play with the flapperons and see if that will keep it straight without stick input. A knife edge pass looks really cool though! Once I get this dialed, I have to get some video.
so it pulls to the canopy, on some of mine that i dont need to much elev i have mixed elev w/ rudder, just dont have it on on final
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Near all my models pull "up" (to the direction top of model is facing) when knife-edged ... it's only the pure aerobatics jobs I've flown that haven't. Even my Ultimate Bipe does it.

I tried a few of the models on my Reality Sim ... same ......... all needed touch of down elevator to track straight.

To be honest I do not find it surprising as the Katana is not an aerobatics machine after-all.
I think the models do it because now the models wish to pitch up is not fighting gravity with the model on its side ... being a semi symet wing format .... difficult to word ! But think you can see what I'm getting at.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife