HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester2240 View Post
Ive been looking at buying the Mig-15, how do you guys feel about that jet comparied to the others in flight performance in terms of handling and slow flying. It looks like to me it would be a relaxing flight.
As was stated, ther manufacturer molded in an up incidence in the horizontal stabs. The Mig can suffer from a flat spin and without a rudder, once it starts the spin it is pretty hard to get out. II believe it's intentionally set up to be flown nose heavy to help tame the flat spins. Some change the incidence and fly it less nose heavy, some just fly it as is. Mine balances with a 3s 1300 mAh 40C and an additional 7g of lead in the nose. Even then, the launch can be tricky. It takes a firm, flat push to get it going. If you throw it at any upward arc, it stalls and flat spins. In that configuration, it still flys fine and slower flight isn't too bad. It's a fun bird. I would imagine it would be faster and have less of a tendency to balloon if you do the incidence mod, I was just too lazy at the time to do mine.

One suggestion that I think is a much needed mod, the elevator control rods exit the fuse very close to the root of the tail. The distance from there to the elevator control horn is fairly long and I saw considerable flex in the control rods with elevator use. To me, it was unacceptable so I put a plywood brace about half way up the vertical stab and ran the control rods though there. No more flex. It was the same situation with the F9F panther. Both of mine have that mod.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Good luck with the maiden Joe.
Maiden went well, thanks!

Got a few more flights this afternoon. The rudder worked well at keeping the nose up on slow turns and it worked well on knife edges. Now I need to get more video done. I haven't tried the spoilerons or flapperons yet, I'll get to that after a few more flights to get more familiar with it.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Today i tried a 850mAh 4S 25-50C in my SkyAngel F-16 with stock setup.

I didn't understand why you guys always trying to modify you little jets. Now i understand!!!

This lipo really waked up my F-16. Now it's fast and it climbs vertical and seems it will never stop...unbelievable!!!
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post

I didn't understand why you guys always trying to modify you little jets. Now i understand!!!

This lipo really waked up my F-16. Now it's fast and it climbs vertical and seems it will never stop...unbelievable!!!

What brand lipo did you use? The F-16 has such a small battery tray, I would like to see what you used that fit.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
The maiden flight of the Katana was a success. Considering how conservative I went with this setup, the performance was better than expected. I didn't want to fly a lead pipe so I built it light, the payoff was a great dead stick glide and ample power for decent speed and vertical performance. I didn't test the rudder or the flaps yet, I was a little unsure of what to expect on this model as there are very limited flight reports so far. My wife had a little trouble following it, there will be another video to follow for the rudder and flaps evaluation. For now, I'm pretty happy with it considering there was some supposed negative feelings about the model. For a sportjet parkflyer, I consider it a win. So don't fear guys, even with a lower power setup it works just fine.

Once the initial rounds of testing are complete, the power will be upgraded for furthing pushing of the envelope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4J9s8MBBBw

here's the full review:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22936281
Looks good! Mine should be here tomorrow if all goes well and I will get started on it when it gets here.

Quote:

It can be made to work with a little extra work. I use a 4s 40c 1000mah pack in mine and did have to do a little bit of foam removal to get it in there. But not much. It all depends on how badly you want it
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:24 PM
That will simply buff out
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i just purchased a Skyangel T-45 with the 50mm setup. went to maiden it today, it will simply not get off the ground, even with a long take off. i am using a 3s 1000mah batt. (850mah was the recommended). i took off the landing gear, tried to hand launch...just seems like it don't have enough power to fly?

any ideas ? tips?
I have the same model and I am using 1000mAh 3S 25C battery in the plane

Seems to have more than enough power for hand launch and get about 3 mins of flight from this but the batteries get quite hot so need to upgrade

It is hand launched and while it needs a little time to get on the step it flys fine

Looking to move up to a 35C - 40C battery as the 25C is getting too hot

Very nice plane to fly and gets quite a few comments from people passing by
Boofhead is offline Find More Posts by Boofhead
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:

What brand lipo did you use? The F-16 has such a small battery tray, I would like to see what you used that fit.
I use this lipo : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18200

I removed just a little foam under canopy with a dremel tool. About 1/8'' to 3/16'' is enough. Anyway my canopy had never fitted correctly. It has always been a gap between fuselage and canopy.

I also fit a 1300mAh 3S 20C. Longer flight time but not the punch of the 4S.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:43 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
If you would like longer flights, this one fits easily in the F-16 :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21341
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:57 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
695 Posts
After watching the Thunderpower vs Nanotech test on youtube (even thought it wasnt properly done) I couldnt resist the low price and got a couple of Nanotech 850's. I cycled them 5 times at 2C discharge 1C charge, and all I can say is I am very happy with the increase in performance. Good vertical, more speed, and battery is not as hot as Hyperion 850 after flight.
And the motor is really loving the lower amps from the Lander rotor, comes down luke-warm, no need for cooldown throttle after flight.

JPower F35 50mm with Turnigy Nanotech 850mah 3S 45C (3 min 14 sec)

green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:58 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,333 Posts
Quote:
I use this lipo : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18200

I removed just a little foam under canopy with a dremel tool. About 1/8'' to 3/16'' is enough. Anyway my canopy had never fitted correctly. It has always been a gap between fuselage and canopy.

I also fit a 1300mAh 3S 20C. Longer flight time but not the punch of the 4S.
When modifying foam areas - a trick that I use is to do it with a soldering iron. Make sure room is well ventilated though !
Using a soldering iron does not remove the foam, but melts it and creates a strong skin. That skin will take epoxy / double side tape much better than straight foam. It also means that some of the strength remains ... instead of being cut out and removed.

The reason your 1300 20C is lacking - is the 20C ..... if that was a 25 or higher C rate ... flight would be much better.... assuming you could get the heavier pack in.

I looked at the F16 but shied away when it was obvious that serious modification would be needed to gain the power / speed I would want.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

The reason your 1300 20C is lacking - is the 20C ..... if that was a 25 or higher C rate ... flight would be much better.... assuming you could get the heavier pack in.

Nigel
The reason my 1300 3S 20C is lacking - is not the 20C, it is the 3S.

My fan will never spin as fast with a 3S that it'll do with a 4S. Direct link between lipo's volts and motor's KV. Yes a higher C rating can give more current but will not give more RPM.

Correct me if i'm wrong...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Quote:

My fan will never spin as fast with a 3S that it'll do with a 4S. Direct link between lipo's volts and motor's KV. Yes a higher C rating can give more current but will not give more RPM.

Actually, the higher the discharge rating, the higher the voltage supplied under a given load. If you run your fan up on a 3s 20C, your voltage under load might be 11.7 volts. The same test performed with a 40C lipo may show 12.0 volts under load. So there will be a small increase in motor rpm. The higher discharge rating packs tend to hold a higher voltage right up to the point that they drop off. There are also comments that because EDF flyers tend to use the higher throttle levels, the higher discharge lipos get pushed even more and flight times are actually a hair shorter due to the extra power being realized.

You are correct though, 4s voltage will give considerably more rpm.
RPM per kV is a direct relation.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:
Actually, the higher the discharge rating, the higher the voltage supplied under a given load. If you run your fan up on a 3s 20C, your voltage under load might be 11.7 volts. The same test performed with a 40C lipo may show 12.0 volts under load. So there will be a small increase in motor rpm. The higher discharge rating packs tend to hold a higher voltage right up to the point that they drop off. There are also comments that because EDF flyers tend to use the higher throttle levels, the higher discharge lipos get pushed even more and flight times are actually a hair shorter due to the extra power being realized.

You are correct though, 4s voltage will give considerably more rpm.
RPM per kV is a direct relation.
Thank you Joe for those infos.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,333 Posts
Quote:

Sorry ... should have worded better. I know you stated 3S and 4S and no way do I mean that 3S could perform like the 4S ....
What I am on about is the low C rating of 20C does not allow the battery to supply the amps the motor wants. This reduces the WATTS overall ... so motor labours harder to spin up the rotor.
LiPo's volts and KV in an ideal world be as a multiplier - but in fact it doesn't happen. The lesser power from your 20C will have volts sagging under load ... rpm less etc. Give it a better C rated pack and volts under load will be better ... giving you a crisper responding motor even if not significant extra rpm.

That's my point. Sorry that I missed out saying not 3S vs 4S.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
695 Posts
Sorry, me again. It was a mad weekend, I managed to fly every day and all sort of crazy stuff happened I just have to post it.

On Saturday I tried the Nanotechs for the first time and was amazed how good they were. Sunday was sunny and calm so I had to fly some more. On the 9th flight of the F35 towards the end of the flight the fan suddently stopped. I had full control of surfaces so I glided down with no drama.

(I'm begginging to think 9 is a cursed number for me, I crashed my umMig 15 on its 9th flight).

Here is the emergency landing, nothing exciting.
JPower F35 emergency landing - motor failure (0 min 47 sec)

The resined magnetic nose is really proving its worth, undamaged after digging into mud, and popping off to save itself it a harder landing.

I thought it was a failed bearing, but later I found the motor had shed a magnet!
I found this relly odd, the fan was balanced, the motor ran cool (on previous flights) the rotor was still in place, the bolts didnt undo themselves or anything like that.

I still had the 4600kv 20mm (43g) inrunner from the Lander alloy fan, I worked all day yesterday to install it in the Haoye housing with the cut-down lander rotor.
Tested it Monday morning with a Nanotech 850 and was pleased with the results considering that same motor could only produce 288g thrust with the JPower 5-blade rotor, and the same with the 6-blade Haoye rotor.

Lander 4600kv inrunner from alloy fan + rotor cut down to 50mm in JPower clone housing
Thrust--Amps-----Volts----Watts--WOT time elapsed
323g----14.96A---11.36V---170w---0s
304g----14.25A---11.04V---157W---10s

So I installed it in the F35, now its getting a bit porky at 390g

I waited for the rain to stop and went out to try it out, still flies very nice, although I can feel the extra 12g right on the tail from the heavier motor. Also the Neutron did have more thrust, but hey-ho what can you do. Hopefully they will replace it at reduced cost.

Here is one of the flights with the Lander motor & rotor (haoye 50mm housing).
Unlike the Neutron this motor is hot (but not too hot to touch) after a flight.
Apologies the cheap keychain cam is a bit tempramental and decided to cut out a minute into the flight.

JPower F35 with Lander 4600kv 20mm inrunner & rotor from Lander 53mm Alu fan (1 min 7 sec)

Thats it for now, bad weather on the way, probably no flying for several weeks.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer