SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:30 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
I am going to finish what I started, despite the end result being a hybrid.
The flat turn has happened; it’s possible but the drag cost is absurd; turning a big rudder one way and aerolons the other! The plane otherwise flies very well and mixing the rudder and aerolons the same way gives a good flattish turn anyway. It cruises well and quite flat and behaves well in quite light or stronger thermals (today). It was a delight in the dead calm evening floating around the field. It has a lot to recommend it to someone with a thermalling (and building) bent.
I have enjoyed these; the pleasure of making a pure wing – no fuselage in the way or nose or aerolons to cut in – one can concentrate on it; the rest is attached very simply or detached and changed in minutes. So apart from the technical and aesthetic pleasure there is the ease of experimenting without detracting from the integrity of the wing.
The wing tips are a blend of wash out, dihedral and a small amount of reflex? And seemed to work extremely well; it’s nearly impossible to stall, let alone drop a wing tip – without wing fences.
Depending on the air it flies well with a very light (360mah 3S) battery or one three times heavier. It’s essential though to have a motor that stops the propeller for the glide. I am using fine bead wire (tiger tail) to turn the rudder and the 4mm carbon tube seems quite rigid enough. I will do a papered version for flying in stronger wind.
Thanks for all the input guy’s.
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,666 Posts
It is cool lookin'. A lot of fun, trying out your own ideas, ain't it?

It's interesting, reading these forums on a rainy day. Here we have a great example of someone carving a new design from scratch, and somewhere else we read where someone isn't flying because they're waiting for a set of foam tail parts to arrive from China.
dayhead is online now Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
mmm now that I see your pics on detail, you have a horizontal stabilizator :P strange addition for a FW, maybe you need to check other profiles

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Indeed!But please read the thread in detail to see how and why I arrived at this "hybrid".
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:54 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but a Flying wing with boom, and tail feathers (both vertical and horizontal) is not an hybrid it is indeeed a standard airplane

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea