SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:13 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Here's what I did for the wing ribs on the outer panels. Maybe not totally accurate, but good enough for this model. I started by defining the outer edges with some filler up against 2 layers of fineline tape. This creates the illusion of a bit of a well. Then using some supercoverite cut in roughly 1/8-3/16" wide strips I ironed them on to form the ribs. Next using some canopy glue through a needle I made the stitches and finally covered the with some iron on pinking tape. The final stitched rib just under 1/2" on roughly 1" centers. I'm debating leaving it like this until color or putting one coat of primer and sanding it to fill the weave a little. Either way the process is a little time consuming...and I still have the bottom of the wing, rudder, and elevators to do...
strictlyscale is online now Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Great work Sean , top gun quality !!!!
Really nice !!!!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:51 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Thanks Lou...i wouldn't go that far, but it should add some more interest once painted, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
Thanks Lou...i wouldn't go that far, but it should add some more interest once painted, etc.
I sorry but your work is excellent.
I'm glad your posting your progress for the rest of us. TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Man how did I miss this thread!!
Sean, I know I always kiss your butt, but I'm serious you have so much talent.. I thank you for sharing your secrets with us. I would have never guessed that this plane could look like this...

That tail wheel...dude... I would have never in a million years tackled that, you made it look easy and fast. Pappy! Wow he looks great...

I'm going to go jump up and down on my P-51 now...

Now I want to buy this plane... thanks bud..like I need another plane

Hey by the way that looks like a Hacker A-60 I have one in my 30% extra with a 24x12 prop on 12s 30c 5000 and it makes really good power... 4200 watts.
It makes the DA 50 look like a toy... it rips out of a hover... so you will have great power!

any way .... great great work!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:16 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Thanks for checking in Ron! ...now the pressure is on.

Also, thanks for the vote of confidence on the motor choice. I'm aiming to go with 10S, should still have plenty of power.

Got the stitching other wing panel finished today (only the top of the wing so far). You can see the pitot tube in place. It slides into a brass tube in the wing which has a pin soldered in the rear of it. That pin engages a slot on the end of the pitot tube so it stays vertical.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:19 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Also got the top of the elevators and both sides of the rudder 'stitched'. The alum access panels are cut from flite metal. I like to use scrap-booking punches for these. You can see the 3/4" punch on the bench. If you've ever tried to cut a perfect circle in flite metal you'll know why a punch is so much easier.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
89 Posts
Sean i really enjoy following this thread . But i'm curios about your weight limits...With all the extras what do you think the final weight will be
Zeph
Zephyr7 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr7
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,935 Posts
Sean , its funny I remember unpacking my corsair (at the time it was KMP) . This is my fist KMP and before I was bashing CMPs at the 1/3 the cost .KMP was selling for aprox $459 plus retracts .
CMP was $179 to $249 .
While I was impressed with the out of the box KMP quality , i was disappointed in the lack of details in the tail , wing ect . All the details your adding .
Remember at the time we were really sold on "KMP" was so great , so much better lol , my air scoop on the wing is backwards lol , so much for full price hahah .
Great build !!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr7 View Post
Sean i really enjoy following this thread . But i'm curios about your weight limits...With all the extras what do you think the final weight will be
Zeph
Well, I was hoping to be around 22 lbs which is where this model seems to end up with gas power. I think I'll be over that by a pound or so, we'll see.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:31 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Sean , its funny I remember unpacking my corsair (at the time it was KMP) . This is my fist KMP and before I was bashing CMPs at the 1/3 the cost .KMP was selling for aprox $459 plus retracts .
CMP was $179 to $249 .
While I was impressed with the out of the box KMP quality , i was disappointed in the lack of details in the tail , wing ect . All the details your adding .
Remember at the time we were really sold on "KMP" was so great , so much better lol , my air scoop on the wing is backwards lol , so much for full price hahah .
Great build !!
Lou, I remember seeing a picture somewhere of the scoops being in backwards...as well as the numbers on the landing gear covers being upside down on early kits.

I'm not going much further with any more surface detail. I agree with you the covered surfaces looked a little naked so I've added some addtional details to the top of the surfaces. The bottom I'll likely just leave as it, maybe add some shading with the airbrush but that's about it. I need to get some color on this thing and get it wrapped up!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Getting closer to color! To check for any glaring issues I sprayed the model with a light coat of aluminum klasskote. Sanded it down this morning and looks pretty good. Stuck at home today due to snow so aiming to get some rivets on (going to give dry transfers a go and see if they still stand out after the color is on). Just got word that daycare is closing early so I have to get cracking before going to get the kids.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
I want a week off to play with planes...lol
that will never happen, nice to dream....even if we could have a freak california snow storm to lock me in my shop ..

looks great man! I'm like you almost all my prop planes have hacker and I'm getting worried about this AXI in my TF P-51... it's the only one I've had. I bought it along time ago I hope it works well

if not I'm ripping it out for a hacker, hacker makes great motors and I love the cooling fans on the back perfect for a warbird with little airflow

I want to do a corsair someday, never had one, yet

get lots of work done!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:50 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Here's a picture of the rivet sheet from ProMark, as well as some applied to the stab. What do you think...should I try to duplicate every row, or just a decent representation as shown so far? I'm thinking if you add every row it will look too busy. Any thoughts? I may shoot some blue on it just to see if they show up before I do the whole model.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
....even if we could have a freak california snow storm to lock me in my shop ..
You don't want snow, trust me. It seems every time I log on here I see you guys out flying! Guess the summer is your building season?!