HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
Woke up to a little snow this morning, so thought it was a good opportunity to reschedule a meeting and finish painting up Pappy. May need to dirty him up a little more but for now I'll leave him like this and see how he looks in the finished model.

Anyone have any good color pics of the cockpit on the corsair? Don't want to add a ton of detail, just would like to get the colors close. Looks like it's mostly flat black and and an interior green.
strictlyscale,

Where did you get Pappy? Looks awesome.

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:43 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
strictlyscale,

Where did you get Pappy? Looks awesome.

hk
Thanks HK! He came from Lyle at Best Pilots.

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_weblog/

I have one of his Bob Sweeney pilots and that's equally as nice.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HK! He came from Lyle at Best Pilots.

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_weblog/

I have one of his Bob Sweeney pilots and that's equally as nice.
Nice. Thanks for the info. Did you paint pappy yourself?

I've got a Hangar 9 60-size... I'm thinking of sticking pappy into it.

hk
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:12 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
Nice. Thanks for the info. Did you paint pappy yourself?

I've got a Hangar 9 60-size... I'm thinking of sticking pappy into it.

hk
Yes, I painted him with artist oils and enamel model paints. He may be a little large for the 60 size corsair, in fact he's too large for mine but I hope I can fake it a little.
Afterall its just a sport model.

SPECIFICATIONS:
• 1/5 scale
• Weight 4 oz.
• Dimensions:
Seated Height - 6 1/2”
Elbow to elbow Width - 4 1/8”
Butt to Heels - 6 1/4”

I have learned that most of the model manufacturers base their scale on the wingspan but other parts of the model are a different scale! For instance, the TopFlite Giant Scale Mustange, is fairly scale looking, and claims to be 1/5 scale. But the cockpit is 1/6 scale long and 1/4 scale wide!
Last edited by strictlyscale; Jan 15, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,865 Posts
Sorry Ira Kepford fans, the refinish has started...

Aim to get some surface detail added this week.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:34 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
oh man i cant wait to see what you do with the scheme on this one.....knowing your work, its going to be un believable.....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:15 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I painted him with artist oils and enamel model paints. He may be a little large for the 60 size corsair, in fact he's too large for mine but I hope I can fake it a little.
Afterall its just a sport model.

SPECIFICATIONS:
1/5 scale
Weight 4 oz.
Dimensions:
Seated Height - 6 1/2
Elbow to elbow Width - 4 1/8
Butt to Heels - 6 1/4

I have learned that most of the model manufacturers base their scale on the wingspan but other parts of the model are a different scale! For instance, the TopFlite Giant Scale Mustange, is fairly scale looking, and claims to be 1/5 scale. But the cockpit is 1/6 scale long and 1/4 scale wide!
You did a fantastic job painting pappy.

Thanks for the dims on him... You're right. Looks to be WAAYYY to big for my .60 size H9 Corsair. Wish they would do a 1/7 scale version.

hk
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
Sean , there is a post in RCU for free rivits done with adhesive strips , look for it in warbirds , you may still be able to get in . Look for g-pete he would probably want to see them on your plane .
Also your dead on with the scale of arfs , my CMP Fw190 is 1/6 scale , yet the fuse can accomidate the SisT canopy that is 1/5 scale lol .
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,865 Posts
Lou,
I was just trying to work that step out. All the free ones are spoken for. I may use some dry transfers before the color coat. I have a few sheets from promark I may try.
I really don't want to burn them all in. It looks like the corsair is made up of flush rivets and screws. I hope to be finished the priming and filling efforts wednesday to start some surface detail on thursday.
Have you started yours?...not that the snow is melting anytime soon....
While I'm posting, anyone have any good close up shots of the rib stitching on the wing, rudder, and elevator? I have the aero detail book, but anything beyond that?
Also, does anyone have the new SAM publication Corsair book? How is it?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
I have not started yet , I changed jobs after 13 years , good news is more money but ... as always more responcibilty lol , bigger job , more pressure hahah .
Just got my motor mount , have the pilot same place as yours but not pappy , so I am all set . I have simply been buying time tinkering with smaller planes while waiting for the mount .
I just received my riviots but there going on my 73"Fw190 , that is ready for rivots , and final paint . That was a major bash from sierra retract , full scratch build interior ect , I really need to get building
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:35 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Lou,
I was just trying to work that step out. All the free ones are spoken for. I may use some dry transfers before the color coat. I have a few sheets from promark I may try.
I really don't want to burn them all in. It looks like the corsair is made up of flush rivets and screws. I hope to be finished the priming and filling efforts wednesday to start some surface detail on thursday.
Have you started yours?...not that the snow is melting anytime soon....
While I'm posting, anyone have any good close up shots of the rib stitching on the wing, rudder, and elevator? I have the aero detail book, but anything beyond that?
Also, does anyone have the new SAM publication Corsair book? How is it?
Sean,

Send me an email and I will send you some very high res pictures of the stitching and whatever else you need. Didn't I send you a CD of Corsair pictures a while back?

Regarding surface detail, much of the Corsair fuse is spot welded so there is not much in the way of rivets to be seen. I can provide you with laser cut rivets, dzus fasteners, screw heads, hatches, etc. if you need them. Let me know and keep up the great work. The Corsair is going to be a beauty for sure!

PS - I've got an ESM Bearcat waiting on the shelf which is going to get much the same treatment as your Corsair. For us "detail freaks" I think ARF bashing has really opened up all kinds of new avenues and I enjoy it very much!
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:31 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
Sean,

Send me an email and I will send you some very high res pictures of the stitching and whatever else you need. Didn't I send you a CD of Corsair pictures a while back?

Regarding surface detail, much of the Corsair fuse is spot welded so there is not much in the way of rivets to be seen. I can provide you with laser cut rivets, dzus fasteners, screw heads, hatches, etc. if you need them. Let me know and keep up the great work. The Corsair is going to be a beauty for sure!

PS - I've got an ESM Bearcat waiting on the shelf which is going to get much the same treatment as your Corsair. For us "detail freaks" I think ARF bashing has really opened up all kinds of new avenues and I enjoy it very much!
Chad,
Thanks for checking in on this one! You did send me a CD some time back and I just can't seem to locate it....nor can I locate any of my R/C CD's...that's what I get for cleaning up last year! I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.
I'm not too worried about achieving a high level of detail. Afterall, it will all be painted over. I started putting on a few panels today in FM to create some definition. Regarding the rivets and welds I have three options as I see it to keep things moving:
1. Burn them in with some brass tubing,
2. Use some tiny glue dots out of a hyperdermic needle,
3. Use some pro-mark dry transfer rivets right before the final paint color.

I'm leaning toward number 2 for speed...any thoughts?

I couldn't agree with you more about using the ARF as a good base to add some more scale detail for a nice model. This will be the third I've done and for an Anti-ARF guy out of principle a few years ago that's saying something.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,463 Posts
Sean,

I used vinyl stick on rivets underneath the paint on my Hellcat and they look pretty good. Of course, burning them is always good too. I laser cut a stencil from cardboard when I burn rivets which really speeds up the process as there is no need to mark out where they will go. Just lay the stencil along a panel line and start burning. I'd be happy to make you some stencils if you want them but I get the feeling you'd rather not wait for them! I'm sure whatever you do it will look great. If you need some high res pics of the stitching, or anything else, just send me an email and I will send the pictures.

TTFN!

Chad
cvnkv@aol.com
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:05 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
Sean,

I used vinyl stick on rivets underneath the paint on my Hellcat and they look pretty good. Of course, burning them is always good too. I laser cut a stencil from cardboard when I burn rivets which really speeds up the process as there is no need to mark out where they will go. Just lay the stencil along a panel line and start burning. I'd be happy to make you some stencils if you want them but I get the feeling you'd rather not wait for them! I'm sure whatever you do it will look great. If you need some high res pics of the stitching, or anything else, just send me an email and I will send the pictures.

TTFN!

Chad
cvnkv@aol.com
Chad, you're right I want to keep moving on this thing. It would be nice to get some color on it before this thread hits the 60 day mark. I found the pics, I had saved them to my Aviation portable hard drive. phew! I will PM you on an item for the Corsair you may have....