Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:02 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Next step was to get the dummy radial fitted. I moved the motor back as far as I could to get clearance on the radial, without having to cut away the front of it. This is one of the downsides of the construction of electric motors, and for the larger ones that need to be mounted front and rear. You can see in the pics that some relief is cut in the rear to clear the large mount. One good thing is that the mounting of the motor is very solid.

Not sure if you can see it but with the motor moved back the shaft won't protrude far enough forward to mount the prop. To resolve this I'm using a Great Planes Collet Prop Adapter 8.0mm to 3/8x24 to push the prop farther out from the motor. As the prop is tightened down the collet will tighten against the extisting threads. I figure with some sleevinng loctite and the fact that the collet is aluminum there should be plenty of bite to keep it on the shaft.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXMSG7&P=K

The picture shows an old 1-1/4" dia b-style tru-turn hub spinner. I did buy a 1-1/2" hub but it looked too large on the model. I'll likely get a new one to replace the one on there as it looks quite worn....unless of course I wind up painting it.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:15 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
In keeping with the goal of putting as much of the weight as forward as possible, I wanted to mount the lipos (2x 3S 910 mAh in series for 6S) for the sound behind the firewall. I also need to make the batteries removable so they can be recharged outside of the model (about every 3rd or 4th flight).

I made a tray out of composite board to strap the batteries to. Using some scrap board for spacing, I made a 'plug' receptacle that is glued to the back of the firewall for the board to plug into. It's held by a 1/4-20 nylon stud back in the fuselage with a large nylon nut that screws on hand-tight to hold it in. Pics aren't too clear but hopefully the idea comes across OK.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Finished off the dummy radial after if was trimmed to fit inside the cowl. I used some of the parts from the Williams kit, but then added some of my own parts to make up for the ones that are lacking. For example there is some sort of collector ring behind the pushrod covers. I used a pce of airline ca'd in place before the rods were added and painted steel. The spark plugs were carefully drilled out with a 1/16" bit for the plug wires. I used some elastic thread for the wires with a little plastic tubing to attach it to the air line ring. The thread was painted black. The radial was painted mostly with an airbrush, with some details painted with a brush. Turned out pretty nice, then it's hidden inside the cowl.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:30 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Once the cowl was permanently mounted it was time to give some attention to the rest of the engine compartment. In these pics you can see:

- rx on/off and charge switch.
- air fill valves for the retracts (installed) and canopy (need to get another fill valve still, it's the brown line hanging out in the picture).
- The ESC plugs into a jack on the firewall behind the motor. This is so that it can be easily unplugged to download the data off it if needed (easier than unplugging it from the rx).
- The square red button is the sound module on/off.
- Main lipos connnected in series via mc5 plugs.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:30 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,762 Posts
gOOD MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! sean.....your work BLOWS ME AWAY!!!!!!!! that is some of the sickest scale work iver ever seen......and im not even trying to kiss butt.....freakin awsome.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:40 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Thanks Brent. Hope I can do justice to your favorite aircraft. Started painting pappy today, should have him finished tomorrow. Need to tweak the eyes a bit...at the moment I can't tell if he's really tired or stoned. Lol.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:34 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Sean I got a question for you, I picked up a replacement canopy for my p-51 from Tomas at VQ warbirds. Its all clear and needs to be painted. Should I paint from the inside or the outside. I know the car guys paint there's from the inside and it comes out real nice. My canopy has a crack in it, and I have been dragging my feet about it! Btw your work is amazing, the coloring on the radail engine is real nice!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:47 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,762 Posts
paint from outside, but start with flat black or interior green, not only will this give your silver paint a background, youll see that color from the outside.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:54 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
I agree paint on the outside. Once glued on mask it off (3M fineline tape works well as does electricians tape) then lightly sand the exposed areas. Paint then remove the tape.
Thanks for the comps on the corsair and checking in.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:10 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Thanks guys, gonna get around to it my next day off.
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:56 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Woke up to a little snow this morning, so thought it was a good opportunity to reschedule a meeting and finish painting up Pappy. May need to dirty him up a little more but for now I'll leave him like this and see how he looks in the finished model.

Anyone have any good color pics of the cockpit on the corsair? Don't want to add a ton of detail, just would like to get the colors close. Looks like it's mostly flat black and and an interior green.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:10 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,888 Posts
dont know if the colors are correct

But I hope it helps
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,888 Posts
Sean , great job !!! I been following every step , I received the hacker , the batterys , the castle ESC , I have all my servos , retracts ect , all i need is my motor mount .
So far no responce from hacker on my backorder !!!!

I have to say the batterys are giant !!! , I can not belive the weight of these things , there my largest set as this is all new to me !!!
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:36 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Thanks Lou. Bummer about the mount. After being strung along for a couple weeks being told they were in customs I cancelled my back order and picked one up from Espirit. Turns out they aren't in stock at the moment but you may want to call and see if they expect some soon.
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=4646
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Got more done on the F4U, including getting all the systems operating including the sound as well as making new landing gear front door covers. The ones in the kit were warped badly in the wrong direction. Also made a pitot tube for the wing and cut the holes for the guns. Wish I had of blocked up the rear of the trailing edge a bit before joining the wings together, but it should still be OK. I'll post some pics later in the week.

In the meantime, here's a couple pics for the color scheme I'm going to duplicate. Pretty simple really. Interesting that some of the stars have white bands and some don't....I'm sure people will think I screwed up.