HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Played around with some styrene tubing to mock up some exhaust pipes. Looks a little rough at the moment, but should look good once painted.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:44 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Next step was to reinforce the cowl with some carbon cloth and mounted the kit supplied cowl ring. Using some #4 sheet metal screws the cowl is mounted from the inside. Later this may change, it will depend on what is needed for battery access.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:47 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
The reason to reinforce the cowl is add strength and hold the cowl shape as I cut out the two large access hatches. Here are some pics with the hatches cut out but not yet mounted. The carbon cloth really adds nice strength to the parts.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:55 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Cowl flaps now hinged. Because the bottom of the flap isn't flat (it curves) I couldn't use traditional door hinges. I wound up using a pce of yellow nyrod with music wire inside it. Still need some aeropoxy reinforcing and to clean up the appearance a bit, but it feels very solid.

You can see with the flaps open the generous amount of room it affords.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:15 PM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Flew like a champ with the new paint job

More of this F-6F (7 min 30 sec)
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Here's a couple pics of the dzus fastener closing mechanism for the cowl flaps. The springs are mounted to the bottom of 2 pcs of G10 laminated together. It's not a good picture, but I added a ply rib over the G10 plate.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
What is a good source of the ESM Hellcat or Corsair these days? How about the rotating retracts?
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:43 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Try VQ Warbirds and pick up the Sierra Precision gear. I'm not sure the stock levels but Tomas is usually pretty responsive.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:09 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Sean great work , excellant ideas !!! Where do you buy your carbon fiber cloth?
Seems like a better idea vs fiberglass .
As far as the actual trays for the betterys did you figire that out yet ?
Also , did you dremil the cowl or hand cut with nife ? the line(gap) is very small and that is very good
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:35 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Sean great work , excellant ideas !!! Where do you buy your carbon fiber cloth?
Seems like a better idea vs fiberglass .
As far as the actual trays for the betterys did you figire that out yet ?
Also , did you dremil the cowl or hand cut with nife ? the line(gap) is very small and that is very good
Thanks Lou. The cloth I get from here:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...x2+Twill+Weave

Even just getting 1 yd at a time as it does go a long way.

I cut the cowl using a 'thin' wheel on the dremel tool. Today I'll go back in and fill the gap a little after putting on a backing strip. As it stands now it's a little wide for my liking.

I haven't looked at the battery trays yet, as the motor needs to be located, as does the dummy radial. Once those are in then I'll know exactly what sort of room I have to work with. I'm thinking they may go in and sit at an angle somewhere between vertical and horizontal.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Created a dust storm today in getting the motor mounted and cut two holes in the firewall to slide the packs in. The packs have to go in at an angle which is why the hole is higher than the height of the pack. I'm still thinking whether I want to lay the packs on a tray horizontal or maybe make a tray follow the insertion angle and leave the packs at that angle. Here's some pics.

I also expect that I'll need to come up with some sort of prop extension to move the motor and front face of the mount backwards to clear the dummy radial engine. This may take some more thought, but it will have to wait until the new year as the holidays are taking over now for the next week and a half.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:21 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
wow sean , I figured the packs could fit in the cowl , but it seems so tight that it looks impossible . I did see it done in one video but man does that look tight .
Excellant work , I will be getting my motor on 12/28 according to my tracking , also ordered the same mount ect and the castle you suggested
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:23 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Ok , stupid me , I missed the last two pics , excellany , they look like they can sit upfront , great job
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:40 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
First, Happy New Year everyone!

Haven't done much on the Corsair due to the holidays, should get more done this coming week.

Did make up a couple battery trays for the flight packs in the cowl. They slide in and are held by a single 3/4" wide velcro one-wrap. The rear of the back is held in place against some 1/2" triangle stock.

I had bought an FTE dummy radial but wasn't crazy about the lack of detail of it so with a gift card from Santa I picked up a williams radial kit from Tower. A lot gets cut away but it should look good once painted and installed.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:54 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,828 Posts
Time for an update on progress.

Decided that the most logical place for the ESC is under the motor, close to the motor and the batteries. Made a tray out of composite board that the ESC is strapped down to.