HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:48 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Build Log
ESM 74" F4U Corsair

After the recent success with my conversion of the TF P-47 ARF to electric power and refinishing it with some added details and new colors I thought I'd do the same for the Corsair. Having always wanted to get one it seemed like the ideal time.

I didn't see much in the way of build conversion here for this model so I figured I'd start a new thread.

The model as marketed is: 58" Long, has a 74" wingspan, 6.7 sq ft wing area, and claims to weigh 15 lbs ready to fly. After reading of other's experiences with this model its safer to put it in the 19-22lb range, with gas or 4-stroke IC power being the popular choices.

I'm going to go with a Hacker A60-14L on 10S in mine, starting with a 22x12 APC e-prop. If clearance looks to be an issue, I should be able to swing a 20x12 3-blade prop without too much difficulty.

I have a number of modifications in mind and as I progress I'll share them, but in the meantime, if anyone has any constructive experience to share about the model please don't hesitate to share.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Last edited by strictlyscale; Jan 28, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:10 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,520 Posts
it is a very nice looking kit. ive seen one up close, and its very nice. dang though...18-19 lbs!!!! :O the BH 70" which is a tad smaller is only 13. its those dang china glass layups! it is a gorgeous model though, and im sure your british scheme will look cool! just remember....the british corsairs has clipped tips...but im sure you knew that!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:16 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Yeah, the weight does seem high, we'll see. I'll weigh all the components and report on that, as well as being very concious to get the weight as far fwd as possible.

I'm aware that the british (fleet air arm) corsairs had clipped tips. Some of the very early ones didn't however. But...are you sitting down?...I'll likely put this one in american colors...seems more appropriate. Besides, I can't have all my models with 2-tone camo and sky finishes...haha
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:29 AM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Very interested in watching your progress on this model.

ESM seems to always underestimate the weight of their kits. Like your Corsair, the ESM Hawker Typhoon is listed around the 14.5-15lbs, but anyone who has built the model has a flying weight of between 18-20lbs.
The good news is the added weight doesn't affect the flying characteristics of the model. Hopefully this will be tue for the Corsair also.

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:11 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Peter, i agree, from what I've seen of the model and reports I've read it appears to handle the weight quite well.

I've added up all the components from the kit i'll be using, including the sierra precision retracts and struts and it comes to 10 lbs 4.9 oz. Still need to add all the control items, wheels, motor, pilot, etc etc...just under 20lbs seems like a realistic estimate RTF...however I aim to add sound so I may be up in the 21lb neighborhood...

Here are a few pics.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2009
89 Posts
I to am very interested in your progress. I will be watching to see how you mount the motor,batteries, and esc because of the CG problems with the ESM planes
Zephyr
Zephyr7 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr7
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:09 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,520 Posts
it is a pretty sweet looking bird!!!!!!! ill have to do one some day...
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,767 Posts
I want to start mine with you at the same time , there is a great post on RCGroups , the battery box is on the firewall along with the ECS , no added weight is needed as a result .
Flight video is posted and its a great flyer !!!
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:57 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Lou, I saw that video and am looking at doing something similar, although I don't like the idea of removing the prop and cowl everytime to access the batts. Have a couple ideas on how to tackle that.
Hope you start yours soon too, please feel free to post here.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:16 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,767 Posts
Thanks Sean , I am going to start on Friday , will return back from a business trip .
Do you feel the Hackers are worth the money , I like the look of the info on there web and the power seems incredible .
Will we get 8 to 10 minswith a hacker and 10s as you suggested ?
Its not the cash as much as will I gain the benifit going up from the eflight to the hacker , also thinking maybe go with a three blade prop vs two
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:29 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Thanks Sean , I am going to start on Friday , will return back from a business trip .
Do you feel the Hackers are worth the money , I like the look of the info on there web and the power seems incredible .
Will we get 8 to 10 minswith a hacker and 10s as you suggested ?
Its not the cash as much as will I gain the benifit going up from the eflight to the hacker , also thinking maybe go with a three blade prop vs two
Lou, in all honesty I've only used Hacker motors in my prop models. They have given me NO reason to look for alternatives. The customer service from aeromodel has been top notch and for me that's been worth the cost. Not only do they answer the phone with knowledgable people, but when I crashed a model they replaced the shaft and fan very quickly and at a very reasonable price IMHO.
I fly with 5000mah packs and easily can get 10 mins on a light sport model. 8-9 on a heavier model is very realistic to expect. Typically my flight times on my p47 is about 6-7 mins and I used just over 2ah per pack.
My motor should ship next week once the mount comes in so in a couple weeks I should be able share how it fits.
Enjoy your trip and start posting your progress. We live close enough that we should aim to fly together one of these days...when the weather warms up. In May??
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:02 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,520 Posts
any ideas on what scheme your going to do? most marine corsairs were beat to death....EXTREMELY worn out....im talking like....1/2 paint sand blased off, 1/2 touch up paint mismatched colors....hand painted insignias....some were pretty bad. the navy corsairs were quite a bit nicer...unless beeing floown from land strips like the marines.....

im partial to the factory fresh all blue corsairs....shows the gorgeous lines of the airplane well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
Yeah, the weight does seem high, we'll see. I'll weigh all the components and report on that, as well as being very concious to get the weight as far fwd as possible.

I'm aware that the british (fleet air arm) corsairs had clipped tips. Some of the very early ones didn't however. But...are you sitting down?...I'll likely put this one in american colors...seems more appropriate. Besides, I can't have all my models with 2-tone camo and sky finishes...haha
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:46 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,767 Posts
Gary , that would be great , I work in Northest Phila so I make the ride everyday , not bad at all .
I may follow your lead on the motor but that prop scares me lol , can I go three blade , I am worried about the ground clearance .
Eletrics are all new to me with the exception of the fun 55" airfield I have been playing with . Been mostly in fuel as you know .
I will wait to see the batterys you run and if you run two or one , ect .
I like the mod on line that has both on the firewall , two trays right and left but like you think the cowl removal is not practical .
Also thinking we can build a simple drop in box , with access from the top of the fuse that sits behind the firewall but still ahead of the CG .
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:52 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the weight to much, I have there P-51D and its smaller then the corsair(71" w.s.) and it weighs about 17 lbs. and flies great. Just needs to land with power. Good luck on the build, beautiful looking model!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:22 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
any ideas on what scheme your going to do?
I have a few ideas but haven't settled on anything yet. Each one has something to offer, and something missing, you know what I mean. I'll try and settle on one and post by the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I like the mod on line that has both on the firewall , two trays right and left but like you think the cowl removal is not practical .
Also thinking we can build a simple drop in box , with access from the top of the fuse that sits behind the firewall but still ahead of the CG .
I'm thinking about making the cowl have hinged hatches on each side to allow access to batteries, rx switch/charge, air fill, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the weight to much, I have there P-51D and its smaller then the corsair(71" w.s.) and it weighs about 17 lbs. and flies great. Just needs to land with power. Good luck on the build, beautiful looking model!
Mpope, thanks for weighing in. Saw your flight video of your Mustang. Congrats! I agree that even up to 20lbs this corsair should be OK also long as speed is carried appropriately.