HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2003, 01:05 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Heavy, Ugly SS landing gear mod (but cheap, easy and very stiff)

I got tired of the stock SS landing gear collapsing during landings and touch and goes even if the landing is "greased"... It probably doesn't help that I typically have a bomb drop, a camera and use a 6 to 7 oz battery pack either.
As you can see, I took two balsa sticks, cut a groove for the lg wire and taped (strapping tape) it to the LG. To further stiffen the gear, I put a balsa plate to act as a brace for the landing gear and to further prevent the gear from bending (the plate is snug against the fuse).
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2003, 01:11 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
This pictures show..

the LG installed. You can see how the mod is braced against the fuse preventing it from bending backwards...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 01:14 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
It looks crappy, it's heavy...

but it's cheap and very effective. I was doing rough touch and goes on dirt and gravel today with no nosing over from the LG collapsing. I even tried 20 yard touch and goes (where you touch, keep the tail gear off the ground but the mains on the ground for around 20 yards and take off again) on rough dirt with no signs of flexing backwards...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 01:46 PM
europe
Joined Dec 2002
204 Posts
I have built U/c for parkfly using carbon rods 2mm or three mm and by using heat can bend and form carbon rod easier and quicker than steel wire

also its springer and much lighter than metal

I mostly use carbon rod o0r hollow tubes to replace fuslage and in another descussion there are photo and explanation of how to use carbon

Also I have used |PCB epoxy board to make U/c simply cut out the piece typicaly 6inch long by 1/2 inch wide by 1.5 mm and heat this piece up to bend it into a suitable U shaped U/C drill holes at the end for bolts 2,5mm or 3mmm and attach wheels to U/C

R/C Groups Discussion > E Zone Forums > Open Discussion > Building with carbon fiber

Stephen
heli frapper is offline Find More Posts by heli frapper