Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:03 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Build Log
Wraith V2 - A nearly indestructible FPV park flyer

I have been thinking about this for a while and now it's time to build it. Ever since I saw the video when trappy slammed his plane into a pipe and it survived I have been thinking about how much fun an indestructible plane would be.

While I have my P-38 which is designed to break apart on impact, it is a bit heavy and powerful. I want longer flight times without having to carry two batteries.

I want to keep it fairly small and easy to transport. I also want it to fly for 10-12 minutes on a single battery. The design will be a modification of my Wraith FPV plane. The Wraith is getting near the end of it's life after chopping numerous tree limbs with it's now severely distorted wing.

So this will be a glassed EPP airplane set up as a dual boom pusher. Of course there will be a hand wound GBX double to power it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:13 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Making the parts

First I needed to spec the size. I wanted something a little smaller, so I opted for a 41" wing with a central chord of 8.25" and a tip chord of 6.5". I swept the wing forward a little further to help control stalls. For the airfoil, I went with the good ole Clark Y. A good lifting airfoil that should allow it to fly well in tighter spaces.

The problem with EPP is you can spend a small fortune reinforcing it. I don't want to fly a sponge. Luckily Wal-Mart has carbon arrows on sale for $2.50 These make great booms and reinforcements. Overkill, of course, but that's ok by me.

The tail will be coroplast. One of the great things about election times is that there is tons of it around everywhere. Thanks to local politician Bob McDonnell, I got 2 giant 4X8' sheets of 4mm stuff for free! Can't beat that price. Thanks, Bob

Currently all the parts weigh 6.6 oz. However I still need to glass and cover the wing which is going to add about 4-5 oz of weight. The airframe alone will be about 11 oz or so. With battery, motor, electronics, and FPV gear, I think this one should come in at about 28-30 oz AUW. At least that's my target.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by IBCrazy; Dec 04, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:27 PM
Registered User
ashdec87's Avatar
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Can I test it? I'll see if nearly indestructible really holds true

Nice plane tho. Having a plane that you can bash around it definitely fun.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:44 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
G-unit's Avatar
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
First I needed to spec the size. I wanted something a little smaller, so I opted for a 41" wing with a central chord of 8.25" and a tip chord of 6.5". I swept the wing forward a little further to help control stalls. For the airfoil, I went with the good ole Clark Y. A good lifting airfoil that should allow it to fly well in tighter spaces.

The problem with EPP is you can spend a small fortune reinforcing it. I don't want to fly a sponge. Luckily Wal-Mart has carbon arrows on sale for $2.50 These make great booms and reinforcements. Overkill, of course, but that's ok by me.

The tail will be coroplast. One of the great things about election times is that there is tons of it around everywhere. Thanks to local politician Bob McDonnell, I got 2 giant 4X8' sheets of 4mm stuff for free! Can't beat that price. Thanks, Bob

Currently all the parts weigh 6.6 oz. However I still need to glass and cover the wing which is going to add about 4-5 oz of weight. The airframe alone will be about 11 oz or so. With battery, motor, electronics, and FPV gear, I think this one should come in at about 28-30 oz AUW. At least that's my target.

-Alex
Man do you ever sleep?? you always coming up with new stuff, KEEP it up..
Thanks Gary
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:23 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,741 Posts
While the flame wars rage on IBCrazy just chugs on and continues to do real things. Massive respect.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:02 AM
On a holiday?
boopidoo's Avatar
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
I think one of the reasons that trappys model can take such a beating is because it's a wing. A flying wing is in itself a very rigid platform with fuselage and wing conformed in one. Whenever it hits something it does it at an angle (unless it's spot on the nose).
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:41 AM
NDw
Registered User
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
I'd be very interested in seeing the glassing procedure in detail.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:51 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
great concept however the EPP and glass mix isnt advisable, the glass will impart little strength and simply crush, crack etc with the epp under it.

You need a solid foam type core to make a glass construction worth your while.

If I was you I would use laminating film, it'll make the wings etc very rigid yet under impact it'll move with the EPP without breaking up like the glass will.

cheers

Steve
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:25 AM
Crashomatic
CrashMeUp's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
The 3M90+fiber glass band over EPP doesn't break.
That said the laminating film is enough and lighter and faster to apply

I've a Zephyr with just a bit of glassing and mostly laminated, had several violent impacts and it still looks nearly pristine (except the paint )
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:28 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Look up the "RiteWing method". This uses Henry's roofing cloth and 3M 90 spray adhesive to wrap the plane in aflexible, yet tear resistant shell. I am thinking about using a reduced goop glue such as Shoe Goo or Welder adhesive as a covering instead. These will do the same thing.

I plan on glassing the thing tonight if I get the time. I will detail the procedure then. I'm still learning the best way to do it, but when the glue dries, you have an airframe that is pretty well indestructible.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:29 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
The 3M90+fiber glass band over EPP doesn't break.
That said the laminating film is enough and lighter and faster to apply

I've a Zephyr with just a bit of glassing and mostly laminated, had several violent impacts and it still looks nearly pristine (except the paint )
The right lamfilm is far superior in every way to crossweave tape.
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:33 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Look up the "RiteWing method". This uses Henry's roofing cloth and 3M 90 spray adhesive to wrap the plane in aflexible, yet tear resistant shell.
that method is pretty old hat now and again has been superseded by the lamfilm method.

If you havent tried lamfilm on epp you should, you wont be glassing it ever again
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:37 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Where do I get laminating flim? If it is really stronger, then that's the way to go. Besides, Henry's cloth is expensive. I planned to cover over the weave with covering as well. It would be nice to skip that step.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:47 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
So I think I can find lamfilm at an office supply place. I guess 1.5mil is thick enough. How do I apply it? Iron it on? 3M 90 spray adhesive? Heat gun and a sock over my hand? This is new to me, but I'm ready to try it. The crossweave worked great. If this is better, I'm going to do it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:50 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Thepasty's Avatar
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Search RCG for "Laminating Film" and "New Stuff", you'll find all the info you need. Being in the UK I wouldnt know where to get it in the U.S.

The guy who lead the way with lamfilm coined the name "New Stuff".
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Great Planes ElectriFly Yak 55 EP Nearly Indestructible FlightFlex Foamie ARF Review Jim Young Electric Plane Talk 36 Jul 13, 2011 07:57 PM
Discussion Park flyer retracts WLJayne Scale Kit/Scratch Built 6 Nov 11, 2010 08:18 AM
Question Can you use park flyer hinge tape? tmaucher 3D Flying 1 Nov 07, 2010 01:20 PM
Sold Small 4ch 2.4Ghz radio (good for park flyer) Dr Honda Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Nov 03, 2010 03:59 PM
Discussion Small FPV park flyer MorrisM FPV Talk 38 Feb 20, 2008 12:38 PM