SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:54 AM
chicago
Joined Jul 2003
100 Posts
where have all the ir transmitters gone?!

I checked everywhere online and no one seems to sell IR transmitters (exept a place in finland (requies separate tx) and didel which is way to expesive and not compatable with Ztron). Does anyone know of a place to get a ztron compatable tx?
indoor flyer is offline Find More Posts by indoor flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
They're out there somewhere ........

You dont actually need the entire Tx, its mainly the joy stick and potenitiometers that you need. The circuit board and emitters are easy peasy.
What to look for? A 100 K Ohms rotary poteniometer that rotates through the angle the joystock moves IE about 60 degrees (30 up and 30 down) Its is a good idea to have a hard wearing one too as it gets moved about alot. They come in different sizes but I am sure you could attach a big one to a small joystick somehow.

I found having a custom Tx how I want it very satisfying although Bernard says it a peice of junk held together with tape !

A joy stick from a IBM compatible game woudl probably be 100k ?

I think we can actually buy the pots and also the joy sticks but there are a little expensive so it was assumed knowone woudl want to buy one.

Mark
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:41 PM
chicago
Joined Jul 2003
100 Posts
I found some very cheap and promising joysticks at didel.com ($7) they are used with their expensive transmitters. As for the potenitiometers, circuit board, and emitters, how easy is it? seems kind of complicated. Do you have a parts list or wiring diagram of your homemade tx? is the didel system ztron compatable?
Old Jul 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Didel also sells a piggy back transmitter that is considerably less expensive. It requires a simple solder connection to the board on your regular transmitter. I think David Liu has used this setup.

uIR in Finland also makes a pigg back solution that uses the buddy chord. Do you not already have a transmitter? I think his system is compatible with Z-tron. Why not give him (Janne) a try. Air mail from Finland is pretty quick, and Janne is a good guy.

Air mail from Switzerland is also pretty fast.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jul 18, 2003 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 03:25 PM
chicago
Joined Jul 2003
100 Posts
No, unfortunately I don't have a standard tx. and the cost of the uIR/didel system+shipping+FM transmitter seems kind of costly compared to Ztron's all in one package of $40 ( if only they were still in stock.....) Mark and many others seem to think that a homemade tx is pretty simple. I would be interested to know the details of his "piece of junk held together with tape".
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:22 PM
Nottingham,UK
Joined Jan 2003
62 Posts
Same here, looked everywhere (well quite alot! ) for details on building ir tx/rx, nothing, need one for project I'm working on
and yes mark the fan works fine one powered wing buzzin around front room
Dave
dave_in_notts is offline Find More Posts by dave_in_notts
Last edited by dave_in_notts; Jul 18, 2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
I've heard that the reason the Ztron TX's were so reasonably priced is they were surplus IBM game joy sticks. When the surplus source ran out, so did the supply for Ztron. That's the problem with surplus stuff when it runs out.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:03 PM
chicago
Joined Jul 2003
100 Posts
If joysticks are the only part missing to sergio's tx system, do you think he could sell the rest of the tx so we could throw in didel's joystick?
Old Jul 19, 2003, 04:21 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
If you supply they joy sticks we can supply the rest of the circuits and emitters
What is the resistance of the Didel pots?

Would you pay 15 ($20) for a pot ?

i will see if i can find the web page on the Tx .....
I did some notes on converting an old R/C Tx to IR too, I gave it to a few interested guys but did not hear if they got it going ok?

Dave in Notts .... I made a special secret IR Rx for a jet for Ray and sent him a demonstrator APPA actuator so you better get your sidwinders tuned up.
You can borrow my Tx if you want, how much current is your fan pulling? what volts?

Cheers
Mark

ps Has anyone tried the new ginger crumble cream cookies in ASDA? There nice but I dont like ginger, how to get the ginger out?

Mark
Old Jul 19, 2003, 04:37 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Here is a wiring diagrame

http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/Txs3.jpg

I coudl make the circuit board for you, but its not difficult - its not surface mount parts like the Rx's !
I have modificed an old Rc Tx. Scrap everything except the joystick and case.
I put toggle switches on the outside for Vee tail mixing, proportional / bang bang, actuator reverese.
I use a big battry pack for good range
I have a flashing on switch so I dont leave it on by accident
I dont use a charging jack as mine used to short as set fire to the wiring - Smokin !
I was going to add some other items:
IR detector with flashing light so I dont switch on
Bring light next to emitters to make eye contract
cut out switch so I can just use on emitter for testing Rx in the house
Bernard range finder (smoke detector)

I suppose now I will need anit aircraft radar if these Su27's are going to come down from the far north Midlands ........

Mark
Last edited by aeronutz; Jul 19, 2003 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 04:54 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Yes its me again

Here is a picture of a typical three channels Z Tron Rx with Esc.
http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/ZTronRx.jpg

You can see I have chopped the case of the sensors dow to save weight. I also cut the lables out of my clothes, every little helps

This is the Rx for the 10" Corsair, the transistors for the APPA actuator are on the left where you cant see them?!?!

Rays ultra secret Jet Rx does not look like this - and thats as much of a clue as you get !

Spool 'em up

Mark the Jet jocky, south Leicester, Vampire country !
Old Jul 19, 2003, 05:29 PM
chicago
Joined Jul 2003
100 Posts
thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I would certainly by a tx(excluding joystick) for $20. I just looked at didel's site and the ohms is rated at 2x10k, 10k for each potenitiometer? If this doesn't work Im sure it would not be to hard to find something sutable. by the way, this tx will also need a rx to go with it. how much are those ztron rx's you showed in the picture? ps: does it need two sensors?
Last edited by indoor flyer; Jul 19, 2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 05:35 PM
Nottingham,UK
Joined Jan 2003
62 Posts
IR TX/ RX

Mark, How much for a complete kit, minus joystick. Complete as in TX and RX.
Hit a problem with fan! ran it round a pole using remote battery. Smoked the motor and threw another blade !! timed at 5 minutes.
Not sure if blade caused motor or motor caused blade to fail.
flanker mk1 looks like a very bad paper dart!!
Dave
dave_in_notts is offline Find More Posts by dave_in_notts