HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,222 Posts
Discussion
Epoxy Coating or other for Foam Airframes??

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on a product that would put a protective coating over a foam airframe?? I could do a real light finish glass on the foam but that is a alot of work! I have heard that there is some 2 part epoxy type paints that can be used to finish the foam and make it more durable but not sure on what brands and where to buy. Any suggestions would be great.
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:26 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Not worth the weight IMO. There is the Wowplanes sheeting that some guys use.

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,846 Posts
I use methanol for thinning down epoxy if I need to apply it with the brush. Great and cheap way to clean brushes too. It will not give you any strenghs only shiny finish, yellowing at later stage, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:10 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,222 Posts
Ahh Kelberts is always a wealth of good info That is what I was looking for! I am not too worried about the weight but I am wondering if it dries to a hard shell?
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Ahh Kelberts is always a wealth of good info That is what I was looking for! I am not too worried about the weight but I am wondering if it dries to a hard shell?
Yes it does and few coats might give you even some dint protection, try to use 30min. stuff, gives you more time and experiment with the thickness you want, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:05 PM
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Try here for the same stuff as "wowplanes", but much cheaper http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...st/styrospray/ . The only down side is there is A LOT left over if only doing one plane. I've over done a FMS Rafale, a GWS 262, used it to reinforce parts on a Jpower 50mm F-86, and have only used half! Not bad for $36!
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:08 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,222 Posts
Nice, thanks for the info, I have a small gravity feed detail paint gun, I am guessing I could shoot it with that??? What type of solvent did you use for cleanup?
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:44 PM
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
I'm not sure about spraying. The manufacturer suggests a "pressure pot" sprayer, but says a hopper will work. I think mainly they are referring to large projects though. I have only brushed it on with disposable foam brushes. It is self leveling, so as long as you don't "over stroke" it (no pun intended), it comes out fairly smooth. You can always wet sand it when completely cured. As for thinning, it is pretty thin to start with, but I don't think it can be thinned. If anything a little warmth makes it flow like cream. The solvent specified is a orange oil mix (check out the MSDS on the website). Send them a request for info on the "Stryrospray", and they'll send some data, as well as some sample materials with the stuff already applied. It can be a bear to work w/, but is petty neat nonetheless.
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed