HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Thanks all for all the suggestions and opinions. Very valuable information you provided me.
I have tossed around 3 options in my mind which I can access to in New Zealand with a reasonable price( in my budget )
- Champ
- UM T-28
- Art-Tech Cessna 182 brushless 2.4 Version 4

From all above, I am tending towards a UM t-28 for reasons such as :
-4 Channel
- Cheap but good quality
-good reviews
- cheaper to repair than some bigger foamies
- All ready assembled and aligned( trimmed possibly too !? )
- Easy to take places and can fly in small areas

Based on above factors, can I conclude I can start with Parkzone UM t-28 trojan?

Thanks
bennz is offline Find More Posts by bennz
Last edited by bennz; Dec 06, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:39 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Go for it. You'll crash, perhaps a lot, so you're better off crashing that little UM T-28 than a bigger plane. Remember to fly it 3 mistakes high .
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:51 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
champ is still a better option but go for it. make sure you buy some spare parts beforehand, just cause its a begginer 4ch doesn't make it a begginer plane.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:51 PM
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
The trim should be reasonable, but don't rely on it being perfect out of the box. Verify that all control surfaces are flat with the rest of the wing/tail surface. In particular, make sure that the ailerons are symmetrical. This will give you a good starting point, but you will probably need to make adjustments during your first flight to make it fly straight and level.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
also take off with near full throttle (ease it on don't just slam it forward if taking off from the ground) cut to half throttle while in the air though. keeps it slow and sedate but still whin power should you get into trouble. remember altitude is good.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Thanks all ! I will remember all of these and make a checklist for myself to assure I take proper steps for my first and all other flights : )

In general how well the UM t-28 is trimmed out of the box? anything I need to pay specific attention or adjust ?
Last edited by bennz; Dec 06, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
mine needed about 2 clicks of left rudder to taxi straight. everything else was fine. just make sure the surfaces are level and fly it then adjust from there.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
Thanks all ! I will remember all of these and make a checklist for myself to assure I take proper steps for my first and all other flights : )

In general how well the UM t-28 is trimmed out of the box? anything I need to pay specific attention or adjust ?
I've seen different planes with the correct center of gravity out of the box, but never one that was trimmed out of the box.

Since the plane will bank when turning whether using the ailerons or rudder to initiate the turn, you'll have a fairly difficult time deciding which one to trim. Are you fairly good at seeing how the plane is behaving, which control surface will need trimming?

You'll have to adjust the elevator, rudder, and ailerons all at once, without looking down at the transmitter. Since the T-28 is a lot faster than the Champ, you won't be able to take your eyes off it for a second. In addition, any wind at all will just about make it impossible to get it trimmed for straight flight, because the wind will make it fly at an angle into the wind. Don't confuse this odd angle for a rudder that needs trimming.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
I've seen different planes with the correct center of gravity out of the box, but never one that was trimmed out of the box.

Since the plane will bank when turning whether using the ailerons or rudder to initiate the turn, you'll have a fairly difficult time deciding which one to trim. Are you fairly good at seeing how the plane is behaving, which control surface will need trimming?

You'll have to adjust the elevator, rudder, and ailerons all at once, without looking down at the transmitter. Since the T-28 is a lot faster than the Champ, you won't be able to take your eyes off it for a second. In addition, any wind at all will just about make it impossible to get it trimmed for straight flight, because the wind will make it fly at an angle into the wind. Don't confuse this odd angle for a rudder that needs trimming.

Thanks for the advice. I might try to have the first flight some where indoor or on a day with no wind . I am familiar with trimming on the real plane, I guess important thing is try to practice trimmer on the stick before its airborne . so I don't get confused and crash it.

I will have a first flight without a rush, will try to take it high then focus on trimming so if I lose the control I have the time to take it back again.

I am thinking to paint the wing tips with red and green strips and put greet and red labels on side of the aileron controls so I know which side of the stick effects which direction. You think it is a good idea?
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:11 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
I am tending towards a UM t-28...
Only time and your actual experience will tell how this will turn out. Please keep us up to date. Some people seem to have more native ability with RC than others. For myself, I plan to get the UM T-28 after beginning with the Champ. What transmitter did you decide on?
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
Only time and your actual experience will tell how this will turn out. Please keep us up to date. Some people seem to have more native ability with RC than others. For myself, I plan to get the UM T-28 after beginning with the Champ. What transmitter did you decide on?
I am going to go ahead with the RTF transmitter, I know it is not the highest quality but for now it fulfills my needs. After a while I might get something better.

At the moment the competition is between UM T-28 and Art - tech Cessna 182 brushless 2.4 V4 ( Cheaper than UM t-28 ! ), I am evaluating the wind and weather factor to see how much trouble I will be having with UM t-28 and how many days I have to sit home not flying because of the wind? Only reason I am thinking about art tech as well is due to it's size(high wing), the price and enabling me to connect it to PC for Sim.

But the winner shall be announced soon
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:35 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
ERC J-5 trainer ................ I am also looking for a good 1st trainer. I want to start with a 3 channel for the ease of operation but thinking forward to a 4 channel for an upgrade. That a/c has adjustable dihedral as well as an easy (included) upgrade to 4 channel operation. problem is .... it is very new and few folks have tried it .. so it seems anyway. From what I have read it seems to be the best of both (3 vs 4 ch) worlds. Ideas? Input? Let us talk!!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
ERC J-5 trainer ................ I am also looking for a good 1st trainer. I want to start with a 3 channel for the ease of operation but thinking forward to a 4 channel for an upgrade. That a/c has adjustable dihedral as well as an easy (included) upgrade to 4 channel operation. problem is .... it is very new and few folks have tried it .. so it seems anyway. From what I have read it seems to be the best of both (3 vs 4 ch) worlds. Ideas? Input? Let us talk!!
Got a link to it?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
One problem I have is the limited number of RC plane we have in NZ, So the choice is very limited and if I want to buy it from US or Europe its going to be ridiculously expensive.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:07 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
I am going to go ahead with the RTF transmitter...
Ya know, if you obtain that transmitter by buying a Champ, it's like paying only $59 for the Champ airplane, and that includes a LiPo that is perfect to use as a spare for the UM T-28.

...just sayin'
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc