HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
So what have owned as a 4-ch trainer?
I used the GWS E-Starter as my 4 channel trainer. Others have started with the HobbyZone Super Cub 3 channel, and then simply cut ailerons into the wings when they were ready for 4 channels.

I don't recommend starting out with a 4 channel plane as a first plane.... but that is strictly my opinion, and nothing more than that.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:07 PM
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
So what have owned as a 4-ch trainer?
Sorry, can't help you there. I haven't flown any 4-channel planes that would be suitable for a trainer. You might take a look at the "Difficulty to Fly Rating System" sticky thread in this forum. It has a large list of planes in the first post that have been rated as to how difficult they are to fly. That will give you a general idea of whether a plane you are thinking of would be good as a trainer.

The Skyartec Cessna 182 was rated as 4.5 meaning that it is good for a beginner with an instructor. The Dynam Cessna hasn't been rated.

Looking at those planes, I can tell you that they will both fly about the same. They have a high wing, which helps with stability, but no dihedral at all. If you have a reasonable amount of hand-eye coordination, you may be ok with one of these planes, but you will want to put in LOTS of practice on a sim first if you don't have someone to help you.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:39 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
i started with a vapor and then got a playmate(similar to the champ) then a micro-t28. i can fly all very well and i love my vapor and playmate to death. they are 3ch planes and i think it was very easy to learn cause i had to teach myself. i also have no sim experience(never could still can't). the only really new thing when going to the t-28 was ground handling(took about 5 minutes) and then being soft on the controls. i flew the playmate and vapor for a good year and then got the t-28 so i had a lot of experience with them. my reccomendation would be to get the champ and then the t-28 after about 3 or 4 months. the 3ch help build a lot of confidence too which is important, along with just getting the hang of basic controls.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
i started with a vapor and then got a playmate(similar to the champ) then a micro-t28. i can fly all very well and i love my vapor and playmate to death. they are 3ch planes and i think it was very easy to learn cause i had to teach myself. i also have no sim experience(never could still can't). the only really new thing when going to the t-28 was ground handling(took about 5 minutes) and then being soft on the controls. i flew the playmate and vapor for a good year and then got the t-28 so i had a lot of experience with them. my reccomendation would be to get the champ and then the t-28 after about 3 or 4 months. the 3ch help build a lot of confidence too which is important, along with just getting the hang of basic controls.
Best post of the thread so far...
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:19 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
...my reccomendation would be to get the champ and then the t-28 after about 3 or 4 months.
A good idea IMHO. I flew the Champ for about 3 months and was ready for something with more "oomph". I jumped straight to a flying wing. It was too much of a jump. I would have been much better off getting the UM T-28 (it's now on my Christmas list).
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Well I tried a 3-ch plane ( not champ or cub ) while ago and I didn't like how it was flying. Maybe it is just me but I would like to kick start in a 4-ch trainer and focus on Sim prior to flying it.

However, all your advice is taken into the account and I guess I will benefit by listening to it : )

I wonder if there are 3channel plane which instead of Rudder they have ailerons ?I am sure there must be few , but any suggestions?
bennz is offline Find More Posts by bennz
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:50 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried a 3-ch plane ( not champ or cub ) while ago and I did not how it was flying. Maybe it is just me but I would like to kick start in a 4-ch trainer and focus on Sim prior to flying it.

However, all your advice is taken into the account and I guess I will benefit by listening to it : )

I wonder if there are 3channel plane which instead of Rudder they have ailerons ?I am sure there must be few , but any suggestions?
There is quite a few planes like that but all of them I have seen are pylon racers and hot liners. They are not beginners planes even with a flight instructor.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried a 3-ch plane ( not champ or cub ) while ago and I didn't like how it was flying. Maybe it is just me but I would like to kick start in a 4-ch trainer and focus on Sim prior to flying it.

Well, the only way to benefit from the advice is to follow it....
Old Dec 05, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Well, the only way to benefit from the advice is to follow it....

Points well taken
I am just considering the wind factor and me not having access to indoor facilities to fly the plane. So that is why I am tossing between Micro and the usual size foamies.
bennz is offline Find More Posts by bennz
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:26 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
well for beggining purposes your not going to fly in wind anyway so its not really a matter at the moment. the champ is like $90 rtf(maybe more where you are) and offers(in my mind) the best chance for a succesfull first flight without an instructor or sim. just get the plane and wait for a still day. you only need about 10 minutes just have it charged and ready. when you see it calm down get out to your front yard and thow it up. thats how i got started. had to just throw it up in the calm moments you don't have to drive anywhere and prep time is almost nothing for the micros.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:07 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Flying wing. Technically they have "elevons", but it's the same as ailerons/ elevator as far as flying goes. You can crash them over and over again without doing any damage. About the worst you can do is break a prop, but because they're pushers even that is pretty infrequent.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:17 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,005 Posts
Quote:

Benz, what channel were you not happy with? Was it a quality plane? Didn't fly or just not happy with the steering method and contro? I started with a original HZ Super Cub, 3 channel, learned by myself. Bought a T-28 3 month's after, sat on it for another month or two until I thought I had enough experience and confidance, then had good success with my 4 channel T-28. I have only used the cheap FMS simulator but flying for real is a whole different game, although the sim does help with orientation. Lot to get used to out in the field that a sim does not teach ya! Good luck to ya on which ever you decide, but as a self taught, I am glad I started with a 3 channel plane, and still had my fair share of repairs while learning.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
100 Posts
Well for what it is worth I will detail my progression in the hobby and toss in my two cents.

Started with the three channel super cub. Quickly discovered the sub par electronics were a problem. Jittery servos and the fact that a blocked prop from nosing over on landing with a bit of power still on would fry the brick in this thing in a split second. No knock on Horizon here I love there products and suspect this may be true on any <$200 three channel trainer.

Tossed in some better servos, spectrum receiver and a DX5e. Ok now have a tad of build experience and the plane fly's great. Good for learning orientation and the subtltys of useing the controls but that's about it and in my opinion an expensive rout to go for training purposes. I could have nearly achieved the same results with a $20 usb controller and FMS(free)

I then progressed to the PZ F4F four channel for no other reason than I already had batterys I could use in it. Getting use to the added speed and snappyier control response was pretty much all there was to it. Just reverted back to the way I flew the SC when I first got it, safe left hand circuits until I got use to how the plane responded.

Now if I had it to do over and given the fact that training should take place in calm winds I would opt for the micro T-28. Four channel, good crash survivability, 2.4ghz reliability and much less expensive. I could have skipped all the stuff I detailed above and bought almost four of these for what I spent on my training with the super cub and trained my thumbs for four channel flying right from the get go. During calm winds you can fly these micros almost anywhere spur of the moment and stick time is crucial when learning. There is also almost no chance of destroying someone elses property or hurting someone with these small planes. A newbie advantage for sure

But then again that's just me; I could be wrong
dizzydean is offline Find More Posts by dizzydean
Last edited by dizzydean; Dec 06, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:00 AM
Grounded, but hopeful
Bangkok
Joined Jul 2010
169 Posts
Have you considered the "buddy Box" system? With an instructor, you'll have a lower chance of crashing because if you make a mistake, the instructor can take over and recover the plane for you...

I read a review on the Thunder Tiger trainer 40 on a magazine in which the reviewer, an instructor used a buddy box system. And kids were able to already do aerobatics on the plane because of confidence that they can't crash the plane.

And electric planes too, can use the buddy box, ANY plane can. So, if you get a large electric 4ch, an instructor is recommended, and perhaps, a buddy box may help you more. But if you're going to self-train, a 3ch may not be a bad idea.

I'm in the same scenario with you right now, looking for a new plane after not flying for 3-4 years, and indecisive between a 3ch & 4ch with a US$20 price difference. Reading some of the posts above about 3ch's I might go for 3ch to save $20 as well as self-learning(I like doing things on my own ) It's up to you, do your homework, and happy flying!

Regards, Cosmic
CosmicEV1990 is offline Find More Posts by CosmicEV1990
Old Dec 06, 2010, 01:44 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:

Various parkzones are aileron without rudder ... spitfire for example. BUT really they are not beginners mchines.

Any plane can be made to use ailerons if you modify it ... cut out ailerons, hinge, fit servo and actuate.
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife