HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Thanks Bobly and Bowieb For your suggestions!

I believe you have mentioned very valuable points to me. I guess I start with a 4 channel(albeit simulator time before hand ) . I saw a Parkzone trojan 28 Micro 4 channel. I am a bit worried its too fast for a beginner like me. So I have to toss between a bigger foamy( high wing most likely) or a micro....

I haven't come across any 4ch high wing micro plane here in NZ ( Looking locally so part wise I won't face any problem ) . Anyone knows a reliable and good quality one?
bennz is offline Find More Posts by bennz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,676 Posts
I don't know of any 4 channel um high wings, but the um t-28 is not that tough to handle. It is my favorite plane for this stage in my learning curve. It will fly fairly slow as long as you have enough room it's speed isn't a real factor. If flying indoors or small area, it could be a factor. The larger t28 from parkzone is a great flyer also and will handle more wind, but again when you crash it, you break it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Last edited by bobly; Dec 02, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Well I am tending more towards the UM T28 , Read some reviews on other threads and everyone seems happy with it

I guess it would be a good choice , How slow can you fly it for learning purposes? does it hold up well in slow speed ?
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:42 PM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
If you can muster the money, go for the Apprentice
It is my first plane ( I just got into hobby and have about 6 flights on it) and i love it to death. Features such as the spektrum dx5e and dsm2 technology are really paying off. She is so gentle on low rates with 1/2 throttle, but can really give a good kick when going all out aerobatic on high rates. I have only flown an RC airplane a couple times and am already doing aerobatics on this multi purpose trainer =D
Also if you find landings scary with big planes, this is the solution. You can fully cut throttle and glide her in very precisely. I love my apprentice and would recommend it any day, I picked mine up from my hobby shop and have been obsessed with this hobby ever since.
Have fun, and good luck searching, i highly recommend this plane
*At first i thought $300 was steep as well (i am 15 on a limited budget) but it is paying off and i will continue to use this nice transmitter for my next plane, overall a great set up and well worth your money
PHEW! hope you got all that, have fun
roflmcwaffle is offline Find More Posts by roflmcwaffle
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
The problem I have is the availability of RTF models in New Zealand, and if I want to buy it from other countries I pay almost 1/3 of the price for shipping.

I guess my budget is limited too. So there are few factors I have to consider
But thanks for the recommendation , I see if anyone here has had E-flite apprentice
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:20 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,474 Posts
I learned on a 4 channel plane years ago and I still think that is the way to go. I don't think the learning curve is any worse on 4 channels than starting on 3 then moving to 4. When you are learning to fly your mind is going a million miles an hour no matter how many channels the plane is. There is going to be some bumps and dings to the plane but thats part of learning. If you start on 3 channels and then transition to 4 you start that learning process over again to a point. Only now you have to think rudder is on the left stick and your reflexes tell you its on the right.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:41 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
Well I am tending more towards the UM T28 , Read some reviews on other threads and everyone seems happy with it
You'll need a radio. The BNF version is $99. The RTF version (with the exact radio that comes with the Champ) is $129.

So... you are paying $30 for the radio.

If you buy the Champ first (always comes with a radio) for $89, you've basically only spent $59 for the Champ airplane.

Just a thought.

...on the other hand, if you buy a full range radio like the DX6i, you'll probably be glad you have the extra range with the T-28 UM.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:14 AM
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
If you start on 3 channels and then transition to 4 you start that learning process over again to a point. Only now you have to think rudder is on the left stick and your reflexes tell you its on the right.
No, it doesn't work like that. You still think "turn with the right stick". It's just that the plane turns differently with ailerons. The main difference is the switch from a slow bank and having to hold the turn on a 3-channel plane to a faster bank and not holding the right stick on a turn.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieb View Post
No, it doesn't work like that. You still think "turn with the right stick". It's just that the plane turns differently with ailerons. The main difference is the switch from a slow bank and having to hold the turn on a 3-channel plane to a faster bank and not holding the right stick on a turn.
I can't let the right stick go back to center on my 4 channel planes and hold a turn. Maybe on some planes, but none that I have. Also, rudder is used for other things also. I had to relearn how to fly the champ after learning on 4 channel. It was like starting over. I helped it some by mixing aileron to rudder on the champ so I can use the left stick for rudder also, but they still fly differently.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:38 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
You can simulate 4 channels on a 3 channel plane such as the Champ if your TX supports mixing. I have my DX6i programmed so I can use the rudder with either the left or right stick. I use left on the ground for taxing around and right in the air.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:42 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
The main reason I asked is, with no thread there is a unity of answers.
There never is, and the reason is that every pilot has different interests, abilities and learning curves. My very first plane was a 2 channel sailplane, then I went to 3 channel planes, then 4 channel sport planes. I think I would have picked it up a lot quicker had I just started with a 4 channel trainer because, for me, the "floaty" feel of polyhedral planes just never felt right. Others never even make the move to 4 channel, they love that same "floaty" feel that annoys me. Even when I was learning, flying a sport plane that goes where you point it and stays there until you point it somewhere else just felt right.

Quote:
I should add that I don't have any indoor place to fly the plane, And here in Wellington city wind is something very constant. Will a 3channel trainer be able to cope with some wind ? ( 5-10Mph ) or it is better to start with a 4 channel to learn how to control it when it is a light to moderate wind?
Depends on the plane, but you're probably going to want to consider bigger planes if wind is an issue. The micros can fly in wind, but it requires some skill. I wouldn't start out on a micro if you have constant wind. By the way I can relate to this as the wind is always blowing here! People all have their favorite trainer, but a frequently overlooked sport trainer that can handle tons of wind is the good old-fashioned flying wing. An EPP flying wing is as close to indestructable as it gets! Plus since they're flat, you can keep one in the car without losing any storage. Personally I like Acer's smaller wings, but any similar wing should do the job.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Thanks all for great advices.

What are the thoughts on Art - Tech Cessna 182 Brushless 2.4 GH ( the 3 blades prop version ) ? I know it doesn't have a steerable front landing gear ( which is a shame ) but is it a good trainer plane to start with ?

Thanks
Last edited by bennz; Dec 04, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:53 PM
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I can't let the right stick go back to center on my 4 channel planes and hold a turn. Maybe on some planes, but none that I have. Also, rudder is used for other things also. I had to relearn how to fly the champ after learning on 4 channel. It was like starting over. I helped it some by mixing aileron to rudder on the champ so I can use the left stick for rudder also, but they still fly differently.
I guess it depends on the plane. My SuperFly will stay in a bank until I manually roll out of it. All I have to do is hold a bit of up elevator to keep it from slipping into a dive. I think the P-51 has a bit of self-righting tendencies, but it is not nearly as noticeable as the EasyStar or the Vapor.

All I know is that going from 3-channel to 4-channel was very easy for me. My main problem was the increased responsiveness of the 4-channel planes. I did not have to change how I thought about the sticks much at all.

I doubt most beginners will use the rudder on a 4-channel plane for anything other than steering on the ground.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:51 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieb View Post
All I know is that going from 3-channel to 4-channel was very easy for me. My main problem was the increased responsiveness of the 4-channel planes. I did not have to change how I thought about the sticks much at all.
See thats exactly my point. If you are used to rudder on the right stick and the plane being self righting if you let go of the sticks its an issue. Bank an aileron plane over and get in trouble after changing from three to four channels whats the first thing a new flyer is going to do ? They are going to let go of the sticks and wait for the plane to self correct. The plane is going to smash itself while they stand there and watch it.

I guess I just see it as being easier to learn four new things all at once than trying learn three things and let them become reflexes and then try to unlearn part of what you are used to and throw something new in the mix on top of it.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
Can anyone give me a feedback on Art tech plane I mentioned above. Someone has a good deal on it with parts available so I need to get it quick if its a suitable one