SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:21 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Discussion
Lightweight low cost LED controller for 12V LEDs strips

Looking for lightweight low cost LED controller for 12V LEDs strips.
Anyone?
Thanks!
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:01 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
Lookup ic 555 or 556 circuits online. There are plenty. And they real easy to make. I didn't use whole strips, just 3 led's per "light"(nav, strobe, beacon, tail, landing)
In this video it was my original controller with 555. I just made one with 556. Now I have independent strobe and beacon lights.
Stinson & Trojan (3 min 30 sec)

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Dec 03, 2010, 07:43 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Thanks. Do you have a link for a 555 circuit? I'm not too good at DIYing circuits. Also my 12V LEDs are quite the power hungry type.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:38 AM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Thanks. Do you have a link for a 555 circuit? I'm not too good at DIYing circuits. Also my 12V LEDs are quite the power hungry type.
I think we are using same lights. 12V LED strips. They don't use that much power. I have them plugged in to my 3C LiPO flight battery. I didn't notice drop in run time so am running them all the time even during the day.
How many do you want to use? Chip can handle only so much.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:55 AM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
Depends what do you want to do with the lights. If you want to just turn them on steady, you don't need controller. just plug them in to your 3 cell LiPO.
They have resistors build right in. If you want something more elaborate, something like I made, then I believe you have to make it. I wasn't able to find anything ready and had to do it the hard way. I found few schematics on the net, modified them to accept 12V LED's and more than just one.
Let me know.
Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:25 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
This is pretty low cost for what it does. http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=983

I have not bought one so I can't tell you it's reliability. The other nav light kits are great though for the price.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:31 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
This is pretty low cost for what it does. http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=983

I have not bought one so I can't tell you it's reliability. The other nav light kits are great though for the price.
Aha! Thanks for that. That's what I was looking for.