HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:36 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Deception G15 motor! PISSED!

Thier descriptions are so misleading. I recently bought thier new line of Brushless motors G15 motor that's suspeciously speced extreemly closely to the Eflite Power 15. Gee I wonder why????

So I ordered a couple as I'm building an electric P-38 and at the supposdly 152g each it was already going to be a pretty heavy plane. The HK G15 weighs 170g alone not even including the prop adaptor or connecotrs. 20g is considerable why is it that they cant put down accurate information?? Surely they have scales and qualified people that can weigh something? Why cant they just be honest and put down accurate information? Yes they are cheap and yes typically you get a great deal on your order but more and more I'm just not liking what I see.

ARRRR

So if you want a G15 and think it weigh's the claimed 152g then be warned it's not 152g it's more like 170g just for the motor. Ah now that I got that out I need to go place another order lol.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:44 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,370 Posts
Got any other info like measured Io, Kv, etc..?
I have a G10 on transit, it's listed at 149g but am hopping this may be a little optimistic, not that I have an airframe in mind for it, but intend to do some comparisons between it an a real P10 and my scorpion and hyperion motors, I'll probably grab a classic TR3536-C for the mix too.

Mike.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:16 AM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
Thier descriptions are so misleading. I recently bought thier new line of Brushless motors G15 motor that's suspeciously speced extreemly closely to the Eflite Power 15. Gee I wonder why????

So I ordered a couple as I'm building an electric P-38 and at the supposdly 152g each it was already going to be a pretty heavy plane. The HK G15 weighs 170g alone not even including the prop adaptor or connecotrs. 20g is considerable why is it that they cant put down accurate information?? Surely they have scales and qualified people that can weigh something? Why cant they just be honest and put down accurate information? Yes they are cheap and yes typically you get a great deal on your order but more and more I'm just not liking what I see.

ARRRR

So if you want a G15 and think it weigh's the claimed 152g then be warned it's not 152g it's more like 170g just for the motor. Ah now that I got that out I need to go place another order lol.
You do realize the difference in stated weight (152g) and actual (170g) is about .6 oz don't you?

Thats 1.2 oz total for both motors.

If your dual motor plane can't handle 1.2oz more than you expected, then perhaps you should have purchased two Eflite Power 15's at $65 each.

Just in case you weren't aware, most warbirds are going to weigh more than an aerobatic flyer and a little extra weight is not always a bad thing.

There is a reason they call them flying bricks.

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:44 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
You do realize the difference in stated weight (152g) and actual (170g) is about .6 oz don't you?

Thats 1.2 oz total for both motors.

If your dual motor plane can't handle 1.2oz more than you expected, then perhaps you should have purchased two Eflite Power 15's at $65 each.

Just in case you weren't aware, most warbirds are going to weigh more than an aerobatic flyer and a little extra weight is not always a bad thing.

There is a reason they call them flying bricks.

I think your missging the POINT here. The point is about HobbyKing posting mis information not about my build.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:31 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
334 Posts
They copied the information straight from horizon. Maybe horizon "lied" and didn't include the weight of the mount or adapter?
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:53 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
It does say on their site 152gr. NOT including connectors. Connectors would include prop connector, bullet connectors and firewall mount connectors.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:24 AM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday!Mayday! View Post
It does say on their site 152gr. NOT including connectors. Connectors would include prop connector, bullet connectors and firewall mount connectors.
NOT including connectors would only be the bullets.

the Prop Adapter and X mount are completely separate and are not "connectors"

OP, does your HC 15 motor weigh 170g with the x mount, or is the weight just the bare motor.

You didn't mention the Xmount adapter and the 4 screws, as to whether or not those were weighed along with the motor.
You only mentioned prop adapter and connectors (bullets)
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:01 AM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
NOT including connectors would only be the bullets.

the Prop Adapter and X mount are completely separate and are not "connectors"

OP, does your HC 15 motor weigh 170g with the x mount, or is the weight just the bare motor.

You didn't mention the Xmount adapter and the 4 screws, as to whether or not those were weighed along with the motor.
You only mentioned prop adapter and connectors (bullets)

Course you are correct. But I have learned anything I get from HK I don't go by their weights. I will read reviews (if any) or plan on them being heavier.
Kinda like their servos. The one they have at 3.7gr actually weighs 4.9 on my scale.

However, I do agree with above statement-, that a little over an ounce on what he is doing will not even be noticable.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:25 AM
Sleepy Hollow, IL
Joined Dec 2008
438 Posts
Even High-End Companies Publish Misleading Weights

Castle Creations publishes the weight of their BEC Pro at 29 grams WITHOUT WIRES. I just weighed mine and it is 45 grams with the wires.

The without wires weight is useless as the device comes with two heavy leads for the battery connection and 2 receiver leads wound through a ferrite ring. Castle didn't lie about the weight published; a without wires weight just doesn't make any sense from the users standpoint.

Best to design around the electrical requirements that the motor needs to meet. Once that is determined the weight of the plane's other components or airframe may need to be adjusted if that is really a prime requirement.

ampmaker
ampmaker is offline Find More Posts by ampmaker