HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by trappy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 07:37 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Discussion
Flying FPV in New York City

New York City (2 min 36 sec)
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:47 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
<previous spam post removed>

Great flying! AS usual!!
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Last edited by Kmart; Dec 02, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14 Posts
Bad news

TRAPPY SHOULD BE LOCKED UP!
LANCE4US2 is offline Find More Posts by LANCE4US2
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:07 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
This is amazing.
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:20 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
30 Posts
Congrads Trappy. You're all over the news!
joeluafpv is offline Find More Posts by joeluafpv
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:06 PM
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
Trappy what you did is not something that should be praised as it looks like most of the responses are, you have added more amunition to those that want to further regulate our sport, you have done who knows how much damage to the future of our sport, which involves thousands of RC Pilots and builders etc.
In this age of threats in all forms, the Goverment has and continues to be looking at our sport as a possible weapon for those who want to harm America, so I really hope you enjoyed your reckless 15 minutes of fame, I only hope it doe NOT indanger our sport.
Sincerely,
JLCS
JLCS is offline Find More Posts by JLCS
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:49 AM
I direct Josh and Josh
Navarre, OH
Joined May 2010
800 Posts
Trappy,
I'd love to have you on the show. Maybe we could do a web-chat with you and the Josh's.
stonekap is offline Find More Posts by stonekap
Old Dec 05, 2010, 03:23 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Sure, anytime
Old Dec 05, 2010, 03:00 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Mar 2004
241 Posts
Irresponsible, wreckless, and childish without regard for others who fly in a safe and controlled manner.

Then there is the act of flying over densely populated area under the misnotion that somehow your communications link has 100% integrity.

Then there is the act of breaching FCC rules using ISM 433MHz ground frequency bandwidth, at significantly higher power levels than allowed, to control a UAV.

Shamefull at best, and a black eye for the rest of us...
Parallax is offline Find More Posts by Parallax
Last edited by Parallax; Dec 16, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Excellent video Trappy.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
NYC Video

Hi Trappy-

I work for a Brooklyn, NY news organization. We are hoping you can give us permission to use your video in our broadcast, and wondering if there are any Brooklyn "Team Black Sheep" members that I could speak to over the phone?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
John Bentzinger
News12 Brooklyn
news12bkln@news12.com
718-861-6800
News12John is offline Find More Posts by News12John
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2010
22 Posts
Reckless

I am not an RC person, however my 12 year old son is.

I've been a professional pilot for the last 20 years and I never thought I'd find myself advocating more goverment regulation of our airspace until I saw your Hudson River video.

Has everyone forgotten the midair last year that cost 9 people their lives???

Reckless, YES. Criminal. I hope. Buddy you put lives at risk.

What do you think would happen if your little toy was hit by one of the numerous aircraft that transit that airspace everyday.

I'm pretty sure that toy doesn't carry a transponder, so it's invisable to TCAS and ATC. I'm also pretty sure it's too small to be picked up as a primary target by NY Tracon. More importantly it would be all but impossible to see from a REAL cockpit until it was too late to "see and avoid".

VERY disappointed... One new FAR that will firmly have my support...
propilot1971 is offline Find More Posts by propilot1971
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
propilot, you jump to conclusions very quickly. Too quickly considering you're accusing us of putting lives at risk. We did not fly at times where aircraft were present and we have operators on ground informing us of incoming air traffic, should there be any. We have talked to many airline pilots abroad and local and have used their advice when performing our flights. Besides, our proximity to structures and ground beg to question if your "risk assessement" is not completely off. If you flew anywhere near our plane with a full scale aircraft, you'd be flying extremely dangerously yourself.

That's all I will say on the matter. And of course that the flight was perfectly legal.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
22 Posts
I beg to differ. You did put lives at risk.

You don't fly when aircraft are present... It looks to be day VFR on the video. Given the congestion of that airsapce I find it hard to believe you had the air all to yourself. I also can think of a single person in my industry that would condone what you did in NYC. People on the ground looking for traffic make a poor substitute for eyes in the cockpit or trained ATC personnel.

Listen, putting aside my opinion concering your lack of judgement and allowing you the opportunity to land the plane if another aircraft were to approach. What if you had lost radio contact? Then what? You have a piece of equipment running out of control, capable of taking down most anything in it's path. IN SOME OF THE MOST CONGESTED AIRSPACE ON THE PLANET.

Did you take into account the fact that the FAA and AMA have been in active negotiations for the last 2+ years concerning locking you down to small boxes of airspace? Did you think for one minute how your little circus stunt could affect other RC pilots and their ability to enjoy thier hobby?

Legal... For now. But you little flight went a long way to making it not so legal next time. I'm just glad you 2 minutes of fame didn't cost anyone their life.
propilot1971 is offline Find More Posts by propilot1971