HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:23 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,881 Posts
That raspy motor sound is typical Dynam, Ive got several other Dynam planes with the same motor and they all sound that way. Sounds like bad bearings and like it could fail at any time. However, my Dynam DC 3 has 76 flights and is still going strong.

I've experimented with several other props, 2 and 3 blade, and cannot get any real performance improvement with them. Seems the supplied prop is optimal for the power system.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 04:39 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
854 Posts
Is it one-piece or 2-piece wing with connecting rods?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:16 AM
United States, OH, Findlay
Joined May 2010
66 Posts
I just ordered one to add to the fleet. They look very nice any advice or mods on these planes.
v_dub1968 is offline Find More Posts by v_dub1968
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:33 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,881 Posts
The wing is two piece - epoxied together - there is no reinforcing wing joiner - and it could use one. The long, high aspect ratio wings, will flex quite a bit when stressed in flight. I've not done any reinforcment but others have with a carbon fiber rod.

Assembly is quick and straightforward, the foam is beautiful and parts fit very well.

Two quirks:

The nosegear steering is far too "quick" and makes for difficult roll outs on landings and takeoffs. I drilled another hole as close as possible to the rudder servo center on the steering horn side and installed the steering rod there - reduces throw to the mininum and helps smooth out the steering.

Plane is also a little difficult to get really smooth landings as it tends to " hop" if not landed perfectly. Flaps may help this but I've not taken the time to install them.

It's a very nice flyer and really has no vices. Roll rate is very slow unless you max out the aileron travel which makes them somewhat touchy.

Most of these, it seems, come with the blue Dynam motor, 1050-1100 kv, that will draw about 250 watts with the supplied prop. This makes for very spirited performance but is really pushing this small a motor. Some of these planes, and most of the Dynam Cessna 182's (Sky Trainer) come with a 950kv version of the same motor (it's red). This one will only draw about 180 watts and doesn't perform nearly as well. But it may last longer - especially if you use constant full throttle.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Mar 01, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:16 AM
simplefly
United States, IL, Glen Ellyn
Joined Sep 2010
230 Posts
Well, I did replace my motor with Power G 400 and added white 2 blade spinner + 2 blade apc 9x3.5 prop. Flies great. Better then stock set up. I also added flaps. On the front wheel comments; I have noticed that if you don't accelerate rapidly, the front stays straight. I think this has something to do with offset counters of motor torque while spinning.
I forgot to mention the rubber tires. The stock ones get flat easily.

I'll post some pics later.
simplefly is online now Find More Posts by simplefly
Last edited by simplefly; Mar 01, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:13 PM
simplefly
Joined Sep 2010
230 Posts
Dynam Sr

Here are few pics and a short video.

Dynam Sr Trainer (1 min 45 sec)
Last edited by simplefly; Mar 18, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:00 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
Love the lights Simplefly! I have a light module that I am thinking about adding to mine as well. Did you cut another groove along the wing for the wires to extend to each light on the wing tips or did you just expand the existing groove that the aileron/flaps wires go through?

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:38 AM
simplefly
Joined Sep 2010
230 Posts
I used same groove and then expanded it to the end of the wing. Very easy.

I got these lights from hobby partz dot com, they are on sale with free shipping.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/rclander-l...gsystem-a.html

Can't beat the price.
Last edited by simplefly; Mar 02, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:16 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefly View Post
I used same groove and then expanded it to the end of the wing. Very easy.

I got these lights from hobby partz dot com, they are on sale with free shipping.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/rclander-l...gsystem-a.html

Can't beat the price.
That's the same one I have! I bought a couple of them last year for the same price. I put one of them on another plane of mine and kept the other one for future planes. Looks like I need to slap that spare unit on my SR.

I like that you can actually tune the light module to a specific channel on your transmitter and be able to turn the lights on and off. Although, I found out on my other plane that the pots adjustment on the light module sometimes needs readjusting from time to time.

Also, the wire length of the wing lights in this light kit is perfect for this plane. My other plane has a 55" wingspan and the wires were just long enough.

KMan
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:16 PM
United States, OH, Findlay
Joined May 2010
66 Posts
Nice lights simpleyfly
v_dub1968 is offline Find More Posts by v_dub1968
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:59 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
Very nice.

I am a rather novice pilot but I really think the sr is the star of my fleet.

Stable smoothe and looks amazing. Just really happy with it.

I am looking to purchase more planes from dynam as they have impressed me.

Love the lights. And I love having flaps, needed, probably not. They are just nice to have.

Great pics btw.
Rimmyman is offline Find More Posts by Rimmyman
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:08 AM
simplefly
Joined Sep 2010
230 Posts
Here is a video of some flying yesterday. It was too windy and cold but I managed too pull it off.
Landing with flaps, on a windy day like below is a bad idea.

Cirrus Sr-22 Dynam Sr Trainer (4 min 38 sec)
Last edited by simplefly; Mar 03, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:53 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
I imagine that using the flaps is best when there isn't much wind. I can only speculate because I haven't flown mine with flaps yet I have them installed and ready to go, but am just waiting for the weather to warm up on a weekend. Spring is in the air and it won't be long
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:24 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
854 Posts
Ordered mine two days ago. Empty parking lots are nearly impossible to find in Switzerland but farms are plenty. Has anyone tried a hand launch of these DR Trainers?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:17 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Ordered mine two days ago. Empty parking lots are nearly impossible to find in Switzerland but farms are plenty. Has anyone tried a hand launch of these DR Trainers?
Even if you hand launched it you still need a decent place to land. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but it would not be ideal. Besides, takeoff and landing with this plane is half the fun. I fly in empty farm fields too behind my house and ususally there is a long driveway or path the can be used for a runway. Look for one of those and you should be in good shape.

KMan