HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:44 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
No, just sounds like it is grinding or something, but if it aint' broke...no need to fix it!
The power is not bad, not quite like the T-28. I thought those motors were close in size but I guess not? I need to figure out ho w to figure all that out! : )
Thanks for the input.
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:01 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2 View Post
No, just sounds like it is grinding or something, but if it aint' broke...no need to fix it!
The power is not bad, not quite like the T-28. I thought those motors were close in size but I guess not? I need to figure out ho w to figure all that out! : )
Thanks for the input.
I think it is good to have a little noise coming from the plane. Otherwise it is too quiet and it is hard to tell whether it is actually running or not. Adds a little realism to the flight experience.

The Parkzone motors are nice, but they are almost to quiet.

If you are really set on replacing the motor, there are a number of factors to consider. Size, type, and kv rating are the big ones but mounting, prop size, and plane type are other options that play a factor too. The nice thing is that there are lots of resources available to help figure it out.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:51 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,729 Posts
I agree with Kman. A little noise is not a bad thing and I don't think it's going to affect the life of the motor. To me, it wouldn't be worth the time, effort, and (modest) expense to replace the motor - although there are several good candidates for less than $18.

LMK2: You've got the right idea! "If it ain't broke...."

You could also end up with this saying, if your not careful. "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:12 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
I do fly right at the edge of our development and the neighbors that walk by always appreciate how quiet all my planes are (I have about 15) The only ones I don't fly here because of noise is my EDF's. Too noisy and I don't want to ruin my great flying spot.
This one wont hurt, once I get it up there you still cant hear it much.
My Vinyl stickers should be in Tuesday or so, I will post pics of the final product.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:13 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
I live on the edge of a development too and most of my flying I do in the empty farm fields behind my house. The thing is that the fields are very rough and it makes landing gear obsolete. I normally fly all my other planes by hand launching and belly landing them. So, tomorrow I am going to take the afternoon off so that I can maiden my SR. I am going to go over to an empty area of the subdivision so that I can utilize the pavement for a runway. Wish me luck!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:44 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
Successful Maiden Flight!

Maiden flights are always interesting. This is my 6th new plane in the last 2 years that I have been flying and it didn't disappoint. Flying conditions were less than ideal because there is a storm front coming into our area this evening. Winds were a solid 10-15 mph and the sky was overcast. But, considering that this weekend is going to be wintry, it was this or nothing.

During takeoff, I was expecting the plane to take off faster than it did. It got a little squirrelly on me and I ended up ramping the street curb into the air! The about halfway through I tried to adjust my camera and almost lost control of the plane. Luckily, I saved it.

Overall, it is a nice flying plane. I didn't get too crazy just because of the windy conditions. Check out the video below and sorry in advance for the camera not being pointed very well. I should have had it pointed up more.

Enjoy - KMan

Dynam SR Trainer Maiden Flight (6 min 24 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Got in a couple of flights myself today. That darn front wheel is still squirrely. When I take off it wants to go to the right and when I land it is going to the left. Not uncontrollable, but annoying. Wonder if I need some down/right thrust? Might solve the take off curve
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:48 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
Maybe programming some expo into the rudder/front gear would help. This would soften up the controls and possibly make it a little more managable. Are you using a computer radio?

I think I might try this on mine. I am using a DX6i radio system.
KMan
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:27 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
Flight Times

I measured my battery after flying today and it was 3.86v per cell. I only flew for a little over 5 minutes, so I bet I could have gone another 5 minutes if I was more familiar with it. I had a good mix of full to half throttle when in flight.

How long of a flight are you guys getting on a 2200mah battery?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:52 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
Dynam Flap Installation Video

Here is some useful information on installing flaps for this plane and other Dynam models...

How to Install Flaps on Dynam Aircrafts (5 min 14 sec)
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:04 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,729 Posts
tFlew a couple of batteries today and I'm liking this plane a lot. Flew just under 10 min both times and put back about 1600 mah in the 2200 batteries. Just a little over 70% discharged which it what I try for.

As I noted above, this plane is sure no aerobat but is easy and relaxing to fly. It loops ok and sustains inverted rather well. It's just the rolls that look so messy.

I finally just relaxed into some scale flying and enjoyed it a lot. Looks very cool on low speed, eye-level passes and can be coaxed into some very nice touch and goes.

Nosewheel steering travel is way excessive which causes a lot of twitchiness. I'm using a cheapie radio without expo or dual rates so no relief there. If I recall correctly, the nosewheel pushrod could be moved in one more hole on the servo.

I'm going to take the wing off and try that as well as do a little better job of dressing the servo wires that are so visible thru the windows.

This is really a sweet little plane - light and simple ... and a great value at it's modest price.
Last edited by dbc; Dec 11, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:37 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,476 Posts
Grounded due to Blizzard

Well, for me I am going to be grounded due to nasty winter weather for awhile. It is currently 9 degrees F out with 40 mph winds and snow I am just glad I was able to get out and maiden yesterday.

Since I will be stuck inside for awhile, I am going to add the flap hinges, control rods, and servos to my SR. Although I had no problems landing into the wind, I suppose that landings with little to no wind would be much faster. Plus, this will be the only plane I have with flaps.

KMan
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:29 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,729 Posts
Flaps might be fun, but with the extremely light 14oz/ft2 wing loading of this plane, the really aren't necessary. You might want to save the servos for use when you get the Dynam Grand Cruiser or this plane:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...w-rtf-24g.html

You can never have too many (Dynam) foamies!

I tamed the nervous nosewheel steering on the SR by drilling a 1/8" hole just slightly inside the one closest to the center of the rudder servo horn and moving the steering rod there. Nosewheel now moves much less and the plane tracks much better on takeoff and landing. The turning circle is a little larger but it will still just do a 180 turn on a double width driveway.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,729 Posts
Notice the similarities between the SR and the new Cessna Corvalis from Tower?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2534&search=Go

It looks to be made by ST Models as the motor and servo arrangements are the same as the ST (Hobbico) Cessna Skylane and Piper Super Cub. I've had both of those planes and they are OK but not really as good as the Dynams.

Corvalis looks to be a nice plane but at twice the price of the Dynam SR it's not a very good value.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:50 AM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Bummer I was hoping that it was the same because they would carry parts. But the battery loads different and the front cowl is different. Anyone find replacement parts fir this thing in case we need a cowl or wing?