SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Well we had the maiden s plane handled. Even with the We were not able to use the flaps with the buddy box for some reason. When the DX6I & the DX5 were linked together, the flaps went down. The only way I could retract them was by activating the trainer switch on the DX5. So I pulled the plug on them prior to our flight. Anyone ever had this happen?
Could it be that flaps are channel 6 and the dx5i is a 5 channel radio?
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
What a great thread. I got talked into this plane by Gooniac33. He was my teacher several years ago. I flew it with him abonce 8 months ago. I only flew it once and was too afraid to fly again. But I have been flying often lately. Thanks for all of the input.
Konamack is offline Find More Posts by Konamack
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
I was falling asleep when I wrote ^ that post- so here is a little more detail.

Gooniac is a great guy and he 'forced' me to buy this plane. He was ranting and raving about how great it is. I watched Latinflyer (on Bayrc.com) fly his and I was sold. I used my smartphone to order one on the spot.

I had only flown the plane one time, but was afraid to try it again- actually, I do not have a nearby spot with a good runway.

Well, I got over my fears and flew it a couple of weeks ago. It was AWESOME!!!

I love the scale looks and handling of this plane- the only thing I did not like was the scale takeoff!! It took about 100 ft to get this bird off the ground.

I flew about 3 flights using 3- 2200mah 3-cell batts. I was a happy guy. I went back on my next day off and flew more (did I mention that it was windy,,, ) The wind was blowing right to left, did mention that there is a TREE to the left of the runway?!!! LOL!!!

I have put my baby back together. Now she sports a 2-bladed APC 9 x 7.5 prop with a Hobbyking gold prop adapter.

Thank You ALL for your great suggestions. I will submit a flight report after I fly on Saturday!!
Konamack is offline Find More Posts by Konamack
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
After talking with other folks, we figured it must be the channel thingy. Anyhow, we decided not to fret over it cause he won't be on the buddy box much longer
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined May 2012
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
After talking with other folks, we figured it must be the channel thingy. Anyhow, we decided not to fret over it cause he won't be on the buddy box much longer
I wonder if it would work if you move the flaps to the gear channel? The dx6 only has a 2 position flap switch anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
I did try this, but when I activated the switch, the flaps deployed and the servos spooled up like they were gonna take off, so I immediately disconnected and decided to leave well enough alone. I think the flaps on this plane are just for the WOW factor anyhow. It landed so nice the other day without them.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
motor replacement

Hello folks,

Do you know if the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 motor from Hobbyking will work well for this plane?

Specs.
Turns: 22T
Voltage: 2~3S Lipoly
RPM/V: 1240kv
Internal resistance: 0.095 Ohm
Max Loading: 16A
Max Power: 150W
Shaft Dia: 3.0mm
Bolt holes: 16mm & 19mm
Bolt thread: M3
Weight: 45g
Motor Plug: 3.5mm Bullet Connector
Guijs is offline Find More Posts by Guijs
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined May 2012
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guijs View Post
Hello folks,

Do you know if the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 motor from Hobbyking will work well for this plane?
The motor below matches the existing mounting holes exactly and only needs a tiny amount of triming where the motor comes through the cowling. If you compare the dimensions, you should be able to determine if your motor will fit:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

I'm not sure you will be able to use the original spinner though.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
stevea3342,
Which prop are you using with that motor? I added flaps then decided to sell it. Wasn't satisfied with the low power. I needed a 2215-20 for another project so I ordered two. If nobody buys it before the motor arrives I'll throw it in and give it a whirl. May change my opinion. Will see. And the flaps work perfectly with no balloning noticed.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2012
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
stevea3342,
Which prop are you using with that motor? I added flaps then decided to sell it. Wasn't satisfied with the low power. I needed a 2215-20 for another project so I ordered two. If nobody buys it before the motor arrives I'll throw it in and give it a whirl. May change my opinion. Will see. And the flaps work perfectly with no balloning noticed.
I'm using the stock prop. I just drilled it out to fit the collet that came on the new motor. It is a much better plane with a more powerful motor. You may end up wanting to keep it
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
Does the stock spinner still fit or did you just use the prop adapter? The new motor arrived today. I'l wait until this weekend to install it. Test fly it. Then maybe unlist it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined May 2012
1,502 Posts
I don't think the stop prop will fit since the motor I have has larger diameter shaft than the stock one and doesn't have threads. The collet that came with my motor has a little spinner which is just the bolt that holds the prop on. It looks ok though.

If you don't want to modify your stock prop, there are several 2 blades discussed in this thread that would probably work even better than the stock prop.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
New 2215-20 motor installed. To accommadate the new motor mount I had to trim off the edge of the raised areas of the bottom two mount holes. The round mount just dropped in between the existing 4 raised mount holes. Easy enough. No trimming needed on the cowl. Real close but not touching. I went with an APC 9x6E prop. On the bench with a fresh 3s-2200 30c battery I was holding 250 watts drawing 20-21 amps. Can't wait to give it a try.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,103 Posts
Quote:
New 2215-20 motor installed. To accommadate the new motor mount I had to trim off the edge of the raised areas of the bottom two mount holes. The round mount just dropped in between the existing 4 raised mount holes. Easy enough. No trimming needed on the cowl. Real close but not touching. I went with an APC 9x6E prop. On the bench with a fresh 3s-2200 30c battery I was holding 250 watts drawing 20-21 amps. Can't wait to give it a try.
Don't "gun it" on take off. Slow up throttle on take off and keep it straight with some right rudder.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,692 Posts
Quote:
That sounds real close to the original blue motor (1100kv) with the APC 9x6 prop. I still run this setup and it works very well. It results in decent power and long flight times on mixed throttle.

I have been flying mine recently and it is still going strong. I have a new camera I need to try out on it. I hope to send it up in the air and capture some video to share this weekend

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24