SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:39 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
Which motor and esc (and prop) did you use?
Please see post number 434.

Mfpage
mfpage is online now Find More Posts by mfpage
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:48 PM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Three more days and counting until it arrives! So I've been reseaching on how to paint this plane. Sounds like an awful lot of work. I saw a thread where someone used the self-adhesive monokote trim strips. I'm thinking about trying this. Has anyone else ever tried these? As far as the clear coat goes, would you apply before or after the strip is applied? Thanks for your help, and have a great Labor Day weedend.
These foam airplanes are a hoot to paint. Spend a little time on google images to look for full scale versions or just go with your imagination. I tend to use the craft paint you find at Michaels or Walmart for about a buck. It comes in flat and gloss and metalic finishes. I thin it with Windex to get it to go through my Harbor Freight airbrush. Rattle cans work too. The EPO foam can handle most propellants if you are not too close. I'd think you'd want the trim on first. You want it stuck to the foam not to the clear coat. I've used WBPU through my airbrush and Krylon brand clear coat and both work.

One of the folks on one of these Dynam threads talked about using wet newsprint to mask. I'm going to try that on my next paint project..
jim12 is online now Find More Posts by jim12
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Three more days and counting until it arrives! So I've been reseaching on how to paint this plane. Sounds like an awful lot of work. I saw a thread where someone used the self-adhesive monokote trim strips. I'm thinking about trying this. Has anyone else ever tried these? As far as the clear coat goes, would you apply before or after the strip is applied? Thanks for your help, and have a great Labor Day weedend.
Can you tell us what size motor you received once your plane arrives?
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
563 Posts
Yes I will. It probably won't arrive until late Tuesday night as this is when UPS runs in my neighborhood. Hope to post positive results on Wednesday.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
126 Posts
I flew my SR today for the third time and started getting brave. It's all trimmed for level flight at 1/2 throttle. Rolls are quick and it handles well except for loops. At the top of every loop it wants to roll out and do kinda like a Lomcevak maneuver. I could not get a clean loop no matter what I did. Really strange considering everything else is smooth. And, landing with flaps down is spectacular. I love this plane.
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage View Post

Mfpage
Mfpage, did you try to use the Stock prop on that motor?

Looking at the specs I think it should work right?

Thanks!

Alex
warbirdzzz is offline Find More Posts by warbirdzzz
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
I flew my SR today for the third time and started getting brave. It's all trimmed for level flight at 1/2 throttle. Rolls are quick and it handles well except for loops. At the top of every loop it wants to roll out and do kinda like a Lomcevak maneuver. I could not get a clean loop no matter what I did. Really strange considering everything else is smooth. And, landing with flaps down is spectacular. I love this plane.
My SR does the same thing. I can get it all the way through a loop if I dive at entry and come around on top with a lot of airspeed and control authority. If you are full throttle and slow speed at the top of the loop, p-factor and torque are going to conspire against you, too. More than likely, you probably have some subtle warp in the wing twist, or some slight differential in alignment or warpage between the two elevator halves, and it doesn't become apparant until you are in a highly-loaded or slow-speed condition. These foamies rarely come out of the mold without some minor deformity, and with the level of manufacturing and assembly precision, it's really difficult to get everything aligned and trimmed precisely. With the long, tapered wing of the SR, it wouldn't take much to cause you problems.
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzzz View Post
Mfpage, did you try to use the Stock prop on that motor?
Looking at the specs I think it should work right?
Thanks!
Alex
The BL2215-20 is rated for a max of 22amps. I would think that the 3-bladed stock prop would draw more than 22amps.

Always use a watt meter when you vary from the stock setup. If you don't own a watt meter, keep it stock.

I think you may also have to also ream the shaft hole larger for the 3-bladed prop.

Mfpage
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
The BL2215-20 is rated for a max of 22amps. I would think that the 3-bladed stock prop would draw more than 22amps.

Always use a watt meter when you vary from the stock setup. If you don't own a watt meter, keep it stock.

I think you may also have to also ream the shaft hole larger for the 3-bladed prop.

Mfpage
I do have a Watt meter, I'm just trying to figure out which motor to get. Last question:

Does the BL2215-20 fit the stock firewall or stock motor mount?

Thanks alot fot he help

Alex
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:

Mfpage
I'm going to give that motor a try. I had a couple of take-off's today that were a little too "exciting". The runway I use isn't very long or smooth. I either need to build up a lot of ground speed before taking off (which can be challenging), or I need to yank it in the air before there's enough speed to make the plane maneuverable once airborne.

Though once in the air, I enjoy the smooth flight characteristics of this plane, even on the stock motor.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:10 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzzz View Post
I do have a Watt meter, I'm just trying to figure out which motor to get. Last question:

Does the BL2215-20 fit the stock firewall or stock motor mount?

Thanks alot fot he help

Alex
I believe it did fit. It's been 9 months and cannot say for sure. I have many "X" motor mounts in my inventory and I only remember once in the last four years I've had to swap out a motor mount.

Mfpage
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Thanks Mfpage, I'm sure it'll work out

I've pulled the trigger on this motor, and will probably use the 50A ESC that came with the dynam FW-190.

Will let you know how it goes.

In the means time, I've glued the rudder back on, which came broken off, and have put CF strips along the wings, underneath where the servo/flap wires go, wings feel so much stronger now.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can, still think I'm a couple of days away of flying this bird.

I also bought one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html to control the speed of the flaps and to be able to reverse one of them as i own a pre-historic TX that doesent give me that option.

Has anyone had any experience with these Turnigy units?

Thanks

Alex
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:06 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
563 Posts
Warbirdzzz, when you say CF strips, is this CF rod? If so, what size CF did you use? So you just slipped it in the slot where the servo wires go? A friend suggested using a strip of packing tape to help stiffen the wing. He thought the tape would cover more area than just a CF rod. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Warbirdzzz, when you say CF strips, is this CF rod? If so, what size CF did you use? So you just slipped it in the slot where the servo wires go? A friend suggested using a strip of packing tape to help stiffen the wing. He thought the tape would cover more area than just a CF rod. Any thoughts?
rcflyinff, these are thin CF strips 1 metre long and about half a centimeter wide. I put them vertically along and in the servo wire slot, which i widened a bit and made longer.

I fitted each wing with a 60cm long strip, with a little Epoxi and boy they feel stiff, but still have some give. I bought these strips at hobbyking.

Don't know about the Tape, but i can say these tiny strips have low to none verticalmovement so even though they're thin the wing feels at least double the strength it had.

I'll try attatching photos, sorry for the shi*ty quality

Alex
Last edited by warbirdzzz; Sep 04, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
563 Posts
Well we received out SR today. Very exciting for both my son and I. It does however have the 950kv motor. I was a little bummed about that but tried not to show it. My buddy said to just go up a size on the prop (10 instead of a 9) and it should be fine. I'm not very knowledgeable on all of this yet, but he seems to think a bigger prop will compensate for the lower kv. Over all, I am very pleased with this plane and it came in perfect condition with all of the parts I took some pictures during the build and once I figure out how to post them I will.