HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
The wings do flex but don't break unless you fly it straight into the ground. In that case you can just glue them back on Kman
I can verify all of the above statements!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,138 Posts
I just received my SR trainer with a blue motor. The website said it is supposed to be 1100kv, but the motor is labled 950kv. Is this normal? Worth complaining about?

You can see the picture of the motor I got, but it seems like this is the one that should have come on it:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dym-00...15-kv1100.html

Maybe this is why people haven been complaining about performance a few posts back.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Last edited by stevea3342; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,244 Posts
Possibly, looks like they pulled a fast one on us. That is maybe why they are so cheap now

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Hey guys!

Been reading all of the 30-ish pages of this thread as I have a SR Trainer that is waiting to be built.

Mine came in in one piece, all as advertised except for the motor and ESC. Mine came with a BLUE 950kv motor and 30A ESC.

Put in a wattmeter to test the combo out and got 108 watts pulling 11A on a fresh charged 3S 25C.

That is a little scary low isn't it? I've read the bird might be thought of underpowered even with the 1100kv motor.

Anyone got any ideas as for a replacement for the motor?

I have a Turnigy D3542/5 1250KV Brushless Outrunner Motor but it seems too big to fit and the X-mount for the motor won't fit the firewall on the plane.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex
warbirdzzz is offline Find More Posts by warbirdzzz
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:32 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,244 Posts
Sounds like the output from this NEW blue motor is quite disappointing

I have this motor in one of my small warbirds and it would be a good fit for this plane. Someone else in this thread used it with good results and if you read the reviews for the motor, another owner of this plane reported good results...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma67-2215-1500kv.html

Kman
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Thanks for the reply KMan!

That motor sure looks like a good step up from what i have right now. 300W should defo make it fly better.

Do you think that motor can handle the stock prop?

Thanks again!

Alex
warbirdzzz is offline Find More Posts by warbirdzzz
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:32 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzzz View Post

That motor sure looks like a good step up from what i have right now. 300W should defo make it fly better.

Thanks again!

Alex
I am not sure. I could run a quick test with the one I have and see what it draws. Let me get back to you on that

Kman
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
470 Posts
Oh crap, I don't like the sounds of this. We are waiting for our plane to come in Tuesday. Curious to see if it also has this blue motor installed. Probably does. Little man wants to paint the top of his plane red. Anyone had any experience on doing this (prepping, painting, clear coat)? I've read that some are using the Polycrylic from Miniwax as a clear coat, but there are some concerns about the product yellowing over time. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what is a good alternative? Thank you for your replies......
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2012
1,138 Posts
On the ammeter, the 950kv 'blue' motor pulled about 14.1 amps peak on a 3 cell. If the 3 cell is about 12.4 volts, we are at 173 watts. I don't have a way to measure thrust, but the plane felt pretty strong. on the stock prop (in the basementm lol). I'll fly it for the first time tomorrow and see how it goes.

I have faster planes (gliders) already but I got this one specifically to practice take offs and landings and get used to flaps (and I wanted the tricycle gear). I think it will still serve the purpose and still be a nice "Sunday Flyer"

I'm curious to see how you guys will make out with the 300 watt motor. If this is dangerously underpowered with the stock motor, I may be joining you.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:25 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzzz View Post

Thanks again!

Alex
I ran a quick test with an APC 9x6 two blade prop and measured 32A and 340 watts, yikes! So, it looks to me that 1500kv is too much for this setup. So, for this size prop the lower kv motors would be a better option. Here is the 1300kv rocket motor that would be a good candidate IMO. I don't have one I can test with, but if my stock 1100kv motor draws 22A and the 1500kv motor I tested draws 32A, then the 1300kv motor should be somewhere roughly halfway in between : )

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma71-2215-1300kv.html

Kman
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:32 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
On the ammeter, the 950kv 'blue' motor pulled about 14.1 amps peak on a 3 cell. If the 3 cell is about 12.4 volts, we are at 173 watts. I don't have a way to measure thrust, but the plane felt pretty strong. on the stock prop (in the basementm lol). I'll fly it for the first time tomorrow and see how it goes.

I have faster planes (gliders) already but I got this one specifically to practice take offs and landings and get used to flaps (and I wanted the tricycle gear). I think it will still serve the purpose and still be a nice "Sunday Flyer"

I'm curious to see how you guys will make out with the 300 watt motor. If this is dangerously underpowered with the stock motor, I may be joining you.
Sounds like you should be fine then. You could always put a higher pitch prop on it if you wanted a little more oomph, as well.

Kman
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
470 Posts
Three more days and counting until it arrives! So I've been reseaching on how to paint this plane. Sounds like an awful lot of work. I saw a thread where someone used the self-adhesive monokote trim strips. I'm thinking about trying this. Has anyone else ever tried these? As far as the clear coat goes, would you apply before or after the strip is applied? Thanks for your help, and have a great Labor Day weedend.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined May 2012
1,138 Posts
I had a few nice flights today using a 3cell 2200 with the stock 950kv motor. It taxied and took off nice. It doesn't leap from the runway into the air, but it does a nice scale take off.

It handled an 8-10pmh wind fine and floats in for a landing. I was worried about nosing over and breaking the prop and front gear, but it didn't have that tendency. I added the flaps but haven't used them yet. I would recommend this plane to anyone looking for a slow smooth plane. This may make a great aileron trainer as well.

I think I will leave it stock. Sure, it would be a lot more fun with 250watts, but then to enjoy the fun, the wing will probably have to be reinforced and the ESC upgraded. At that point, it may be better to just switch to a plane that is more capable out of the box. Still, if I had the parts laying around, I might go for it anyway
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:30 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
I think I will leave it stock. Sure, it would be a lot more fun with 250watts, but then to enjoy the fun, the wing will probably have to be reinforced and the ESC upgraded. At that point, it may be better to just switch to a plane that is more capable out of the box. Still, if I had the parts laying around, I might go for it anyway
I upgraded motor and prop. Now pulling 22 amps and 228 watts. Really nice, flies with authority.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2012
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage View Post
I upgraded motor and prop. Now pulling 22 amps and 228 watts. Really nice, flies with authority.

Mfpage
Which motor and esc (and prop) did you use?