HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Bushman View Post
So do you fix the warped tail (and how), or do you just let it go? It has to have an effect on the flying characteristics, right...............
Heat and pressure can form it back to shape. I used a wet washcloth to help bend it back to near straight condition. Just wet the cloth, throw it in the microwave to get it nice and steamy, and then wrap in around the tail while bending it back into shape. Make sure to use some kitchen gloves to protect your hands so you don't burn yourself!!!

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Heat and pressure can form it back to shape. I used a wet washcloth to help bend it back to near straight condition. Just wet the cloth, throw it in the microwave to get it nice and steamy, and then wrap in around the tail while bending it back into shape. Make sure to use some kitchen gloves to protect your hands so you don't burn yourself!!!

Kman
And caution on the temperature... If it's too hot, it will cause the foam to "alligator". Check out vissuleyes' really cool Youtube video on EPO repair:

Repairing EPO foam with boiling water.mpg (7 min 51 sec)

First time around, I got it too hot and it messed up the finish (it was a silver SR). Next time around, I just gently bent it by hand in the Texas heat, and it was close enough. I haven't bothered doing anything with my Grand Cruiser, and it flies beautifully. Truth is, unless you have really pronounced warping, or you have really precise flying skills, you probably won't see any noticable impact on flight characteristics if you're just doing the kind of flying the SR Trainer is designed for. There are plenty of other subtle flaws in the airplane that would still cause you to need trim, even if the rudder wasn't bent. If you compare the left wing and the right wing, the left flap and the right flap, and the elevator sides for that matter, you'll probably find some warpage or misalignment as well - probably not as pronounced as the rudder, but likely to have more of an influence on the flying characterists than the rudder. It's probably more of a matter of aesthetics. If it's warped enough to bother you looking at it, then I'd say fix it. Otherwise, I'd fly it first and see if it causes the airplane to do anything wierd. Mine had a tendency to roll out of the top of a loop, but I save my precision flying for my Extra 300, and just live with it on the SR.
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Old Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,264 Posts
Managed to get quite a bit done in my sporatic free time. I must take the time to toot my own horn as I was wrapped up in my daughters graduation where she earned her PHD from Texas A+M. Gig Em Aggies! Only thing left to do is apply the decals and do a cg check. All of my batteries have the same side velcro as the plane does. Need to replace that. Thanks for the tips on straightening out the tail. Mine is not that bad. Will see how it flys. I received all the parts to add flaps but will wait until I do the maiden before installing them. May not even need them. 100 degree plus days all week. Shooting for this weekend. Come on September.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
she earned her phd from texas a+m.
whoop!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Old Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
whoop!
I saw your comment about the Texas heat. Was curious what your hometown was and affiliation if any.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
I saw your comment about the Texas heat. Was curious what your hometown was and affiliation if any.
I'm in the Fort Worth area. If by "affiliation" you mean where did I go to school, that would be Texas A&M '80
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, PA, Penn
Joined Aug 2004
55 Posts
We just bought two more

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the great information many of your comments and words of praise for the model helped influence our purchase.

Any of you concerned about shipping damage need not be concerned. Ours arrived in Pennsylvania from California in less than a week. Just this past week. It was shipped in an outer cardboard carton over the kit box. When we open the kits there was absolutely no damage because each component of the kit was in an additional innner box. The fuse was in one box with the stab. The wings were in a seperate box, and the parts in a third box. each piece was also sealed in plastic. Our kits came with the blue 1100 motor, 40 amp speed control and two props.

The manufacturer appears very concerned about the quality of their products and they are a great value for the money. .

We want to fly ours off of short grass, (no paved runway at our site) so I am replacing the wheels with Dubro #200TL treaded light wheels. It appears they will fit in the pants with just a small amount of trimming the openings.
flyboy52 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy52
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,287 Posts
Flyboy - good to hear yours showed up with no harm done. Good luck getting it put together and up in the air

Kman
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Apprentice 15e
United States, PA, Murrysville
Joined Nov 2011
56 Posts
fiber glass spar snapped mid-flight.. ;-(

i went inverted inadvertently and tried to straighten the SR-22 out... and it came down like a short bird...

Name: 2012-08-18 19.45.33.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 222.7 KB
Description:

Name: Wings_snapped_2012-08-18.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 318.9 KB
Description:

After upgrading the motor and the nose gear, this plane flew so well..tracked like an arrow..

RIP
Apprentice15e is offline Find More Posts by Apprentice15e
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice15e View Post
i went inverted inadvertently and tried to straighten the SR-22 out... and it came down like a short bird...

RIP
Sorry for your loss... I can relate. The SR is pretty unforgiving in the roll axis if you let it get away from you. Time to start watching for Nitroplanes sales and coupons! You should be able to get a replacement pretty cheap if you bide your time. Take my word for it: The second one is even more fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,287 Posts
Apprentice - that's a bummer I sheared both wings off in a nose dive crash, plus cracked the fuse, and mashed the nose a little. I glued everything back together with gorilla glue white and used some packing tape to fix it. I have at least a dozen flights since then and it still flies great. Give it a try if you are up for it

Kman
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
I tried to chase moles with mine and it held up pretty well,had to repair the wing, the bulkhead that holds the battery and the motorplate area. ust have to put windshield back on and back to flying!!!
Jmccustoms is offline Find More Posts by Jmccustoms
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
216 Posts
The good news (well OK, not good under the circumstances) is that Nitroplanes has it for under $75 again.
jim12 is online now Find More Posts by jim12
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
When I whacked my first SR, I built a new firewall and motor mount out of plywood, got a new motor, and added about five pounds of epoxy and popsicle sticks to the wings and fuselage. It didn't quite have the flowing lines it started out with, but it flew pretty good, and was a fun plane. Eventually I whacked it again, and decided that, although repairable, it was just too ugly to appear in public again. I waited for a sale, and eventually got a new one for $69. The plane really is a bargain at less than a hundred dollars. It's on sale now for a little more than 69 bucks, but if you use the pricepickle coupon code, you get another 6% off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,166 Posts
I just ordered an SR, and want to make sure I get a spare 2 blade to go with it. I'll probably just use a collet with the new prop. Can someone tell me the diameter of the stock motor shaft?

Looking through some of the old posts, I wasn't sure what size 2 blade to use. It seems some people suggested 9x7. Any suggestion on a size that might maintain stock performance?

Great sale price as mentioned by DriverRX8 - $69 with the pricepickle coupon and about $22 to ship. I didn't even need a new plane, but the price could not be resisted. Now where will I put it.....
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Last edited by stevea3342; Aug 23, 2012 at 02:49 PM.