HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:17 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
I ordered mine yesterday. What type connector does the stock esc have? Every 3s battery I own has a Deans connector.
It has a 4.0 mm banana connector, so plan on soldering on a deans.

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
17 Posts
SR upgrades

I have this plane and I am used to flying rc planes that have enough power to get you out of trouble. I have the red motor and I put a 45 ESC in it because I had one just laying around and the 3s batteries give you a very realistic scale flight but it is hard to fly it realistically if there is any wind and the climb rate is very slow.
I put a 4s battery in it and wow what a difference, it is a whole new plane with power to do what you want. now I can fly at half throttle and really takeoff in less than 30 feet.

I was wondering if using a 4s 1800mah ok? it fits just fine without modification and CG seem to be the same as with a 3s 2200mah. Has anyone done this?

Also I just got the plane 1 week ago from nitroplanes and it has some kind of rod/support inside the wings, (not one rod connecting both wings) is this a new and improved plane ( from the original)?
mbe575s is offline Find More Posts by mbe575s
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:23 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,550 Posts
You should be fine with that 4s battery as long as it doesn't over tax the motor/ESC/battery. Check it with a watt meter if possible or just do constant checks on all the components to make sure they aren't over heating.

I don't think there are any changes so far to the airframe itself. Only the motor and ESC have varied between models.

Kman
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:37 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Trying to plan ahead. Any issues using the supplied glue/epoxy? For those who will be adding flaps, I found servo reversers for $6 shipped. What length servo extensions will I need if using TP-9 servos for the flaps? Be happy to pass on the link if interested.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:55 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,550 Posts
I used TP-9 servos and they are barely long enough. There is just enough wire to poke the ends through the hole in the wing and them plug them into a Y-connector.

Kman
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:58 AM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
218 Posts
Thought I'd share an interesting event with my SR yesterday.

After a normal flight I landed and taxied back to the flight stations. I raised the flaps and the motor slowing started to turn. I double checked the throttle was closed and it was. The motor slowing accelerated to about 2/3rd power and all controls froze.

As this is a small plane, I hadn't put a arming switch on it so after a couple of seconds I motioned a friend over. As I held it up he unplugged the battery to kill the thing. Haunted I guess.

I've rebound the receiver validating proper failsafe settings so we'll see. It was all quite strange and it reminded me why I put arming plugs on my bigger planes.
jim12 is online now Find More Posts by jim12
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
ordered my shafts for motor from grayson hobbies and fixed both my motors yesterday, an easy fix and back to flying again.I enjoy this plane
Jmccustoms is offline Find More Posts by Jmccustoms
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:33 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccustoms View Post
ordered my shafts for motor from grayson hobbies and fixed both my motors yesterday, an easy fix and back to flying again.I enjoy this plane
Is this the threaded stock shaft? I need one also. Link?
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
I took the SR22 on its maiden flight yesterday. Great flyer! I love the way it looks and acts in the air. But the landing gear mounting sucks. I caught a kudzu vine growing across the landing strip and it pulled out the mounting plates on the nose and right wing. From the amount of adhesive tape showing on the mounting surfaces I'm surprised the gear stayed on at all. A little gorilla glue and it's all better. I'll be back in the air tomorrow after work. And, after clearing the vines away.
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post
Is this the threaded stock shaft? I need one also. Link?
Graysonhobby.com and part number is DY-828 and yes it's the threaded shaft. To replace pull c-clip and bushing off back side of motor, then pull bell end with shaft off (magnets will have a definite pull) loosen set screw, take a small deep socket or pipe and put old shaft on table, take hammer and nail (I used a finishing nail) and tap out old shaft. Tap new shaft in lightly from front of motor bell( make sure to line up flat spot on shaft to setscrew) tap slightly further in, put bell back on motor, reinstall bushing and c-clip. Then lightly tap shaft back forward to snug up c clip to bushing and motor and WALA...your done!!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Oh and don't forget to tighten up setscrew!!!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:20 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
I took the SR22 on its maiden flight yesterday. Great flyer! I love the way it looks and acts in the air. But the landing gear mounting sucks. I caught a kudzu vine growing across the landing strip and it pulled out the mounting plates on the nose and right wing. From the amount of adhesive tape showing on the mounting surfaces I'm surprised the gear stayed on at all. A little gorilla glue and it's all better. I'll be back in the air tomorrow after work. And, after clearing the vines away.
I had the same problem. Threw them back in with gorilla glue white and they have been stuck in there ever since

Kman
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
My SR arrived yesterday. One day ahead of schedule. Got a packed week ahead. Not a whole lot of build time. The only defects so far is the rudder horn was bent and cracked. Got Gorilla glue curing. Rudder is also slightly warped. Will attack that later. All else looks good. On the plus side I got two props. Not sure if thats normal. Parts picture only shows one. Also has the blue motor. Have all the extra parts on the way for adding flaps.
More to come as time permits.
Rick
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
My SR arrived yesterday. One day ahead of schedule. Got a packed week ahead. Not a whole lot of build time. The only defects so far is the rudder horn was bent and cracked. Got Gorilla glue curing. Rudder is also slightly warped. Will attack that later. All else looks good. On the plus side I got two props. Not sure if thats normal. Parts picture only shows one. Also has the blue motor. Have all the extra parts on the way for adding flaps.
More to come as time permits.
Rick
The rudder warp is a Dynam signature feature, I think. I've had a couple of SR Trainers, and a Grand Cruiser, and they've all had the warped vertical tail. It's great that they gave you an extra prop, but there's a 99.9% chance that when your prop hits something, it's gonna snap the motor shaft before the prop gets chipped. I never got an extra prop with my SR's, but I got two bonus props in my Grand Cruiser! I wish they would pack bonus motor shafts...
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2011
520 Posts
So do you fix the warped tail (and how), or do you just let it go? It has to have an effect on the flying characteristics, right...............
Starving Bushman is online now Find More Posts by Starving Bushman