Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:22 PM
Just "plane addicted"...
Pennsylvania
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Tip:

If you don't like the grey spinner on the white plane use mineral spirits to remove the paint and you'll find a nice white spinner underneath that tacky paint.

It only took a few minutes to do and looks much better (IMHO). The white is not quite as glossy as I'd like but close enough that I decided against spraying it gloss white.
I wonder if there is a "clear" that can be sprayed on the white spinner to give it some gloss after removing the silver paint?
BacknRC is offline Find More Posts by BacknRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
yes! Tamiya clear! or any other clear coat thats plastic safe. just don't spray the plane with it.
Rimmyman is offline Find More Posts by Rimmyman
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Getting the "riveting" done. Next I will get to the inside...
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:32 PM
Just "plane addicted"...
Pennsylvania
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmyman View Post
yes! Tamiya clear! or any other clear coat thats plastic safe. just don't spray the plane with it.
Great! Thx for the info.
BacknRC is offline Find More Posts by BacknRC
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:36 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,422 Posts
I got my new receiver in the mail today, so all I have to do now is plug and chug! The only problem is I won't have any "daylight" to fly the maiden flight until this upcoming weekend. I just hope it isn't snowing, too. Otherwise, I may have to come up with some small skis to attach to each wheel point.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:02 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2 View Post
Getting the "riveting" done. Next I will get to the inside...
Man, that looks nice ! good job so far!
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:55 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2 View Post
Next I will get to the inside...
I was thinking a little about the cabin as well. It just doesn't look very "finished" with wires and electronic components so visible through the windows. I thought that it would be cool to have working passenger doors on the cabin that could open and close to a more realistic interior. But it would be a little tricky to cut them out with that bulkhead support in the way.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:21 AM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
I the past I have just found good cabin pictures online, printed them out and hotglued them inside creating a cabin look at first glance. if I find some I will let you know...do the same if you find something...
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:31 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
luvmykids: awesome job. can I steal that idea? thats looks great!
Rimmyman is offline Find More Posts by Rimmyman
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Sure, just a grey and black sharpie and a think piece of paper for a flexible straight edge.
I do it to all my planes and people cant figure out at first why they look so different.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:32 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,708 Posts
The real Cirrus SR 20-22 is made almost entirely of composite material. Only the control surfaces are aluminum.

All those panel lines and "rivets" may be interesting but they don't make the plane look more realistic because the real one is not constructed that way.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:29 PM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Looks more realistic to me! Fortunately I dont fly with anyone who knows planes. we just go for cool. (More fun) : )

Here's the graphics I built today to go on it. Having Calies print it out on clear vinyl.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:25 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,708 Posts
I got a couple of more flights in yesterday and I'm generally pleased with how this plane flys. It's so light that it's easily bumped around by the wind - but that's to be expected.

Stock setup has very good power and only moderate speed. As noted above, there is some steering touchiness on takeoff roll and landing rollout. This can probably be improved by reducing the nosewheel throw - I seem to recall the control rod could be moved in closer on the servo arm.

The plane will loop easily but you can really see the wings flex when pulling out of the loop! These wings are long with no reinforcment rods. Rolls are not very pretty as it's almost impossible to get them to look axial. Just call them barrel rolls. Inverted flight is OK but not quite as controllable as some other planes.

I'd say that it's just not real comfortable doing aerobatics and looks best and flys best when you ease up on it.

Overall, it has no real bad flight characteristics and is relaxing and comfortable to fly in a scale manner. That typical Dynam motor raspiness will bother some people while others will say it adds to the realism.

These inexpensive foamies have really come a long way. Consider the clear windows, glossy smooth foam, excellent fit of the component parts, servicable electronics and scale looks. All this for $70 (sale price) and you're looking at real value.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
I have found every point that you made above true too. I also find the motor noisy. Is yours the same?
I have found my t-28 and Corsair motors to be powerful and very quiet, do you think they would do well in this? I don't know a bunch about motors and watts.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:27 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,708 Posts
I have 5 identical Dynam motors - two each in the DC 3 and Grand Cruiser as well as the one in this plane. They all sound the same; which is to say a little loud and coarse. Almost all othe motors sound better. But, these do provide good power and fairly good efficiency and have lasted very well - my DC 3 has nearly 50 flights with no problems.

The 480 size motors mentioned above would be a little too big for this plane but they could possibly be made to work.
I could recommend some other motors that would sound better and cost far less than those Parkzone motors but do you really want to change it out just for the sound?