HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
Cool Yeah, I would be surprised if they stopped carrying this model. It is a really solid platform and a great flyer. I beat the crap out of mine and it keeps going like the energizer bunny

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Still listed as out of stock on the website and even more disappointing is that I never even got a response to the PM I sent to the Nitroplanes customer service employee. Guess they really don't care about getting my money.

Nate
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old May 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Still listed as out of stock on the website and even more disappointing is that I never even got a response to the PM I sent to the Nitroplanes customer service employee. Guess they really don't care about getting my money.

Nate
Grayson Hobby lists it as OOS as well, but will most likely respond to an email request for additional info. Their customer service is excellent.
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Old May 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Oct 2001
228 Posts
Hello,

Great info you have here; thank you all for your time . I am assembling my SR-22 and I have the red motor, so I want to use the 9x7.5 prop, but I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of adapter do I need to buy and if I am going to be able to have a spinner for it.

Thank you in advance for your help,

CrazyBear
crazybear is online now Find More Posts by crazybear
Old May 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
Hello,

Great info you have here; thank you all for your time . I am assembling my SR-22 and I have the red motor, so I want to use the 9x7.5 prop, but sI was wondering if you could tell me what kind of adapter do I need to buy and if I am going to be able to have a spinner for it.

CrazyBear
With the stock motor shaft, you can put GWS props on with no modification. They have spinners that slip over as well. I posted this on mine a ways back in the thread. Otherwise, if you go to an APC prop, you are better off cutting the motor shaft down and using a collet adapter.

I am still playing with spinners, but I have a GP 1-1/2" that I may be able to get to work. I will post if it works out.

Kman
Last edited by kman24; May 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: correction
Old May 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
Ok, this is what I am running now...

- APC 9x6 thin electric prop
- Great Plains 3mm to 5mm collet adapter
- Great Plains white 1-1/2 prop spinner

I just spun it up and it works good on the ground. Hopefully, I can try it out this weekend

Kman
Last edited by kman24; May 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added photos
Old May 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Dang it! Snapped the shaft - but found replacement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice15e View Post
Thanks Kman,
Any ideas on the replacement shaft for the red stock motor?
So after about six months of flying on my second SR, I bounced it hard while landing on a windy day, and the prop nicked the ground. The shaft snapped and the prop and spinner flew off in one piece. On my previous SR, I could never find replacement motor or shaft, but this time around, I saw that Grayson Hobbies has the blue motor in stock, along with replacement shafts. On the assumption that the red motor uses the same shaft as the blue motor, I ordered a couple of the blue motor shafts - and sure enough, they fit the red motor perfectly! They have the flat for the set-screw cut into them, and are threaded on one end. Works perfect! I'm going to order some more just to have handy. They are only three bucks. Part is Dynam Replacement Shaft - 2815 [DY-3001]. Be advised that the shaft does NOT come with the bolts and washer that hold the spinner and prop on (or the retaining clip at the back of the motor), so if you snap your shaft, be sure to look for those pieces!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DriverRX8; May 18, 2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: editorial cleanup
Old May 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Oct 2001
228 Posts
Is this the blue motor you are referring to? Dynam Replacement Brushless Motor - BM2815A-KV10. My SR-22 came with the red
motor and 30 amp ESC. Do need to replace the ESC if I get the blue motor? Can I still using the 9x7.5 prop?

Thanks in advance,

CB
Old May 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Oct 2001
228 Posts
Hello,

My 9x7.5 prop has not arrived yet, so I am going to installl the 3 blade and spinner that came with the plane, but I am confused what do to with the washers. If I install the spinner at the end of the last nut the spinner is too far from the motor.

Do I remove the two washers?

nut-spinner-prop-nut

Or?

CB
Last edited by crazybear; May 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:40 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
CB - the 30A ESC is done for the blue motor and the 9x7.5 prop. I believe measured around 23 amps with that setup on mine.

Also, for the stock setup it goes...

nut-spinner back-prop-washer-nut-spinner cap

Kman
Old May 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
Hello,

My 9x7.5 prop has not arrived yet, so I am going to installl the 3 blade and spinner that came with the plane, but I am confused what do to with the washers. If I install the spinner at the end of the last nut the spinner is too far from the motor.

Do I remove the two washers?

nut-spinner-prop-nut

Or?

CB
I mounted mine nut-spinner-prop-washer-nut.  Th e  first nut that goes on the shaft screws on with the flattest side facing front.  It screws down as far as it will go.  Then you put the spinner plate on.  It has a recess molded into the back that fits snuggly over the first nut.  You shouldn't even see the first nut if the spinner plat is properly seated.  It won't go on right if you put a washer between the nut and the spinner plate.  With mine mounted this way, there is about 1/8 inch between the spinner and the cowling.  If you don't have that much  clearance, you  can probably not screw the nut all the way to the back to push everything further out on the shaft, but be sure you put blue Locktite on the threads to help keep it in place.  You should do that to both nuts anyway.
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
my experience

Hello guys,

i was reading this post for some time now, and now i think it's time to contribute something.
please excuse if i made mistakes, english is not my native language.

I've bought my SR-22 like 4 months ago and was flying it a lot.
As I'm a new be to flying non glider planes, of course some mishaps happened.

- did my maiden on my local model airport (uneven grass), almost ditched it while initial climb, about a meter in the air, after that I've programmed some dual rate and expo to the aileron

- the first few landings didn't went very well, at the 3rd or 4th landing i broke of the prop/spinner assembly clean of, right where the assembly is screwd onto the shaft.

- couldn't find replacement shafts for the red 900kv motor, so i ordered a blue (1100kv) one from nitroplanes, as well as some replacement props.

- a few landings later the wheels came very loose, so i've had to glue them into place again with some CA glue.

- did the flaps as well, unfortunately with two different servo manufacturer, so the extension distance is slightly off between the two sides, but manageable.
also glued in the magnets to hold the cowling in place

- on like the 20th flight i had some kind of radio failure, very suspicious,
i'm using the eurgle/turingy 9x transmitter and while trimming the rudder and aileron at the same time, it froze, no reaction at all, after turning the power off and on again, problem was gone, never happened again. surly while this happen plane decided to hit the ground, left wing broke of at the root, where the flap is cut out, prop mount plate also broke out of the foam, right wing was damaged as well.

- fixed it with a whole bottle of glue, put in yet another new blue motor and a new prop, and painted the wing where it was glued black, to mimic the anti slip coating which is used on some full size aircraft.

- today, i've got about 100 - 120 flights so far, and i'm getting better,
practicing take offs and landings, 3-4 on each battery charge.
and i can tell, that putting in flaps really helps a lot getting some decent landings out of this wonderful plane.

unfortunately, those many landings have worn the front wheel pretty much,
as i'm flying on a grass strip, i've reached the point where I need two or three try's to get the plane of the ground, because the front wheel is giving in and the prop is touching the ground, or the steering isn't controllable any more,

if anyone of you has a suggestion how to fix this, I'm open to suggestions.
I'm going to bend the front wheel leg a bit more forward, but besides this, i don't really have an idea.

some more info on the equipment
eurgle/turingy 9x transmitter 2,4 ghz
3x turingy 2200 mAh batteries,
i'm flying 3x 2,5 minutes with each battery, and it's usually down to 1 - 1,2 Ah
normally using only 50-60% throttle
dabernie is offline Find More Posts by dabernie
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:00 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,313 Posts
Dabernie - thanks for sharing your experience with this plane. My SR has been showing a lot of wear and tear lately, too. I am constantly bending the nose gear back due to rough landings. But it still is holding up. I used gorilla glue white to reglue all 3 landing gear mounts and it made a great difference in durability. If your nose gear still has a lot of slop in it, then the strut may have too much play where it rotates in the plastic mount. You could try and install a bushing of some sort.

As for wheels, get some Dubro low bounce wheels and they will more than likely outlast the plane

Kman
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
thanks for the hint, i'll have a look if i can get some dubro tires here in austria with reasonable shipping prices.

i forgot to mention that after putting in a 1 meter carbon rod across the wing, right in front of the servo cable channel, after that i had enough confidence in the plane to do my first roll and loop with it.
loop looks great, roll i have to practice a bit more to make it look good, but i'm usually a scale flyer, that's just to improve my skills.

when i get to it, i'll post some pictures
dabernie is offline Find More Posts by dabernie
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Looks like Nitroplanes has the SR Trainer (receiver ready) back on sale in both white and silver versions (as of June 30, 2012):

White: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...arf-white.html

Silver: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...rf-silver.html

I've been out of the hobby for a while, but have been thinking of dipping my toes back in the water. At only $73 for a receiver-ready model with mostly positive reviews, I took the bait. I'm expecting a white SR Trainer to show up sometime in the next week or two.

I'm curious about ground clearance for bigger propellers - is there room for a 10-inch prop on the SR Trainer? If I get stuck with the lower kv (900 rpm/V) motor I'd like to try an APC 10x10 Thin Electric if there's enough ground clearance for it.

Incidentally, for anyone who still cares, the wing loading is not particularly light on this model, probably because of the narrow wing chord. It's the cubic wing loading that matters most when it comes to flight characteristics, and this metric puts the SR Trainer in the same category as a low-wing .40 size (glow) sport trainer. Not quite the floaty little foamy I was expecting!

The high cubic wing loading does answer some questions. No wonder there have been so many issues with bent landing gear. This model is going to land pretty "hot" for a parkflyer. Nothing a reasonably competent RC pilot can't handle, but a lot to ask from a skinny wire landing gear on a grass field!

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle