SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:54 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Nice color scheme dbc... very sharp! Did you paint that or is that a custom cut decal?
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:50 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
hey gang! i'm a relatively new flier myself, and thi sis my step up plane from my SS.

I have already made a few changes after my maiden flight. took it out today post changes and I was THRILLED with it!

firstly, I changed it back to a 2 bladed prop. this helped a LOT with the power with the RTF version. (motor ESC and batt run great)

I also added the optional flaps. MUCH better at the landing speed.

Adding the flaps meant using a better radio, so I went back to my Futaba 72Mhz 6 ch. its not a 2.4, but its a great radio.

I am REALLY happy with this plane. Best part is, my Bday was Dec 1st and my friends all kicked in some money and surprised me with it! elated.

I am debating on painting it or just the decals, but as is, its a great looking plane!
Rimmyman is offline Find More Posts by Rimmyman
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:32 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
kman:
The trim is cut from monokote trim strips. Available in lots of colors, just cut to the shape you want, peel and stick. It's very easy and you can let your imagination run wild with ideas.

I wanted something different from the bright blue and red seen on so many planes so I went with dark metallic navy blue and bright yellow. I just made up the scheme as I went along.

Rimmy:
I'm not suprised you got better performance from a two blade prop (it appears to be an 8 inch?). Plane feels overpropped with the supplied 9x6x3. I got much improved performance from these motors on my DC3 by using 8x6 two blade GWS DD props.

I really like the looks of the 3 blade so I'll try a few others I have on hand to see if there's something that works better. The GWS 9x5 three blade looks promising.

I probably won't install flaps. I'm sure that they're effective but I thought the plane slowed adequately without them. Only done one landing, however, so far!
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Dec 05, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:37 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
dbc - Monokote has a sticky side? I have heard of it but am not familiar with it.

KMan
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:38 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Rimmyman - welcome to the club! That's funny, I used some money I got for my birthday to get this plane and my birthday was on the 2nd.

I am interested in installing the flaps on mine too. I was looking at the hardware that was included with the kit and I noticed that I have 5 hinges and 2 servo control rods. Does it only take 2 hinges on each flap and they include an extra one or did I get shorted one? It looked like in your pictures that you just used 2 hinges per flap and then attached your servo in the middle.

KMan
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:04 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Kman:

I can sure tell you are addicted to foam! Monokote is probably the most popular brand of mylar covering used in balsa planes. The trim sheets are smaller sheets of mylar with a peel-off sticky back. Monokote used to cover the planes is the same material minus the sticky back.

Here's a link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...%3E+trim+sheet
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:01 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Tip:

If you don't like the grey spinner on the white plane use mineral spirits to remove the paint and you'll find a nice white spinner underneath that tacky paint.

It only took a few minutes to do and looks much better (IMHO). The white is not quite as glossy as I'd like but close enough that I decided against spraying it gloss white.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
Kman: the servo horn is the bottom of the flap hinges. it sticks out in the middle of the flap. you'll see it when you take the flaps off the wing.

I only used 2 per side because the mounting point hits the control linkage.

I am sure a better builder can make it work with all 3 like you're suppossed to, but i'm a newbie.

the flaps helped me alot as I am not used to flying a plane this fast yet, so its a learning curve for me.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:32 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I can sure tell you are addicted to foam!
I am addicted to VERY addicted to these foam planes. My first and only balsa plane was pretty much a disaster experience (25+ years ago). During that time a kit plane was a box of lumber and instructions/templates. I love the fact that I can spend a few hours getting one of these planes up and running as opposed to a few months. That is how long that plane took to put together. No Monokote either, it was the cloth fabric covering that had to be lacquered and then painted.

This plane is my 6th foam plane and I don't plan on stopping with this one!

KMan
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:01 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I like foam planes too. I've had at least 20 of them in the past and currently have 6. But I also like balsa planes and have 8 currently.

I can appreciate your experience years ago with balsa but I must say that many current ARF balsa planes are just as quick and easy to prepare as this SR. I'm always amazed by the quality of construction of most balsa ARF's - they are, for the most part, beautifully built by hand to a standard that many hobbyists, myself included, would be hard pressed to match.

Inexpensive foamies are important to me because you can assemble and fly one quickly and with little expense. The loss of my $70 SR would not cause me much concern; but the same isn't true when I crash an expensive balsa plane.

Long live foamies!
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
amen DBC! foam is cheap, easy to replace, you can fiberglass it if its weak, you can easily manipulate it, then correct it if you need to. I think electric foam planes are THE way to fly!
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
368 Posts
I am assembling mine this morning and should have a flight report today. One problem that I usually have with these foamies is cheap landing gear. Anyone had a problem with the gear on this?
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:38 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I'm skeptical of the gear on this plane as well as the Dynam Grand Cruiser I have.

The all are fastened to the foam with relatively small plastic blocks that surely will pull out if hit very hard. The nose gear on this plane wobbles a good deal when rollling on smooth asphalt and the steering control rod is unsupported for several inches both at the steering horn and servo horn ends - not a good thing. The Cruiser is probably worse as it uses a very poorly designed and weak compression strut. Main gear struts are very sturdy on the SR but only thin wire struts on the Cruiser. It could be that the wire ones will bend where the nice aluminum ones will just pull out.

Despite all this, the Cruiser has withstood 5 flights and the SR one without any damage. But neither has had a rough landing so far.

Post back with your findings on assembly and how it flys. Too windy here today for me to get some more experience with it.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:20 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
368 Posts
Well, assembly was a breeze (about 20 min) and right out to the first flight. Ran 3 batts through with LOTS of touch and goes (everyone gives me a hard time 'cause I like to do so many) and no problems whatsoever. CG was good right away with a 2200.
The only problem I found was the front gear doesn't track well especially on takeoff for some reason. I will have to look into that. Other than that, a great flying plane.
Compared to my T28 and Corsair the motor is a bit noisy too, I may look for a used one of those and drop it in. I really like those motors. I have 100's of flight on my 3 parkzones. Now off to "scale it up"
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:20 PM
Just "plane addicted"...
Pennsylvania
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Tip:

If you don't like the grey spinner on the white plane use mineral spirits to remove the paint and you'll find a nice white spinner underneath that tacky paint.

It only took a few minutes to do and looks much better (IMHO). The white is not quite as glossy as I'd like but close enough that I decided against spraying it gloss white.

Nice....thanks for the tip!
BacknRC is offline Find More Posts by BacknRC