HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HappyKillmore, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
Hey,

We need to use HK in the field without internet. So far, it has worked perfectly when we kept the HK software running while we went to the field. However, when we restarted the program, we could not get the map again. Is there a way that we can save a google earth map and use it later with HK in the field?

Thanks,
Ginelle
Ginelle is offline Find More Posts by Ginelle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
No sir. Google has decided that the Google Earth Javascript API will not cache (it actually does but it needs a "key" validation which requires an internet connection) and they have discontinued support for the old Google Earth API. So the answer is no, there is no way to use my GCS without internet.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Mar 27, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
I had the problem of the GCS not communicating with the ArduPilot Mega board. I followed the instructions as you had mentioned in the video. As I played around with the ArduPilotMega arduino program, I realised that I needed to implement the GCS on the board. For the legacy GCS created by the ArduPilot people, there is a code that says:
#define GCS_PROTOCOL GCS_PROTOCOL_LEGACY
My question is, for the HappyKillmore GCS, what code should I put in?
kartik.cs90 is offline Find More Posts by kartik.cs90
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
#define GCS_PROTOCOL GCS_PROTOCOL_MAVLINK

Legacy and APM binary are both unsupported at this point. MAVlink is the protocol they have decided on because it has full 2-way functionality.

PS, the video isn't mine. That's Peter Hollands in England doing some testing....with the UavDevBoard....

I do need to put together a few videos showing how to use my GCS....
Old May 03, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
XBee wireless communication

Hey, Sorry for being such a pain. I defined LEGACY on the Arduino code, and it seemed to work fine with the GCS, but only via USB. I changed the code to #define GCS_PORT 3 and also defined the serial baud to 38400: #define SERIAL3_BAUD 38400 (our XBee modules communicate using that baud rate). Once I switched on the HK GCS, it doesn't seem to work. The GPS Message remains at 0.00%. Any tips?
Old May 03, 2011, 12:32 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I just tried selecting GCS_PROTOCOL_LEGACY and I was still getting a partial MAVlink message back. I've sent an email to Doug asking if GCS_PROTOCOL_LEGACY is working at all anymore.
Old May 03, 2011, 01:49 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I have confirmed with Doug, LEGACY and STANDARD as GCS_PROTOCOLS are no longer supported. Selecting either will use MAVlink by default. Why haven't you made the switch to MAVlink?
Old May 03, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
Well, when the GCS communicates, it uses MAVLink, I think. It is working perfectly fine with the USB connection (port 0) but it is not communicating at all when change the code of the APM on Arduino to port 3. I configured the XBee module to communicate at a baud rate of 57600. It just doesn't seem to communicate. Am I doing anything wrong?

P.S. I know that the xbees are communicating since I tested them using Arduino and XCTU.
Last edited by kartik.cs90; May 04, 2011 at 04:42 AM.