SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:28 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best way to produce a paper template from the dxf files posted above if I don't have a plotter? Take the dxf files down to a copyshop with a plotter and have them print them out? Use software that will convert the dxf files to a tileable pdf? Use some dxf viewer program that will produce a tiled printout? Any suggestions? Thanks

Also, do you guys recommend any good online sources for depron, especially somewhere with reasonable shipping so a small order won't break the bank? I bought some thin depron online about 3 years ago but I can't for the life of me remember where.
Ditto to rcfoam.com. My local hardware store/hobby shop is a dealer for them so I don't have to pay shipping...just taxes!

Regarding the dxf file. You can use a free program called inkscape to both edit it and convert the dxf to a PDF. As far as a tiled printout goes there are programs that'll do that but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Btw...it definitely can be done but you're probably not going to have much fun cutting one of these out by hand. Let me know if you want me to laser cut one for you. I won't do it for free but it's really not that expensive either.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
byte me!
Joined Aug 2008
558 Posts
If MIT KID has no objections, i have the plans converted to .pdf.
Also, Ive just finished weighing the complete airframe with all electronics..33grams
0011000011001 is offline Find More Posts by 0011000011001
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0011000011001 View Post
If MIT KID has no objections, i have the plans converted to .pdf.
Also, Ive just finished weighing the complete airframe with all electronics..33grams
Hey can you tell me the wingspan so I know what scale to print to? thanks
Suicufnoc is offline Find More Posts by Suicufnoc
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:36 PM
byte me!
Joined Aug 2008
558 Posts
im not actually sure about the recd ws...i just made it the same as my suk
0011000011001 is offline Find More Posts by 0011000011001
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicufnoc View Post
Hey can you tell me the wingspan so I know what scale to print to? thanks
I'm showing a wingspan of 426.63mm measured just in front of the aileron counterbalances.

Brian
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Sweet thanks. I decided to go up to 18". About an inch bigger, should be ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
I'm showing a wingspan of 426.63mm measured just in front of the aileron counterbalances.

Brian
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:53 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,685 Posts
@Suicufnoc - I wouldn't think that's a problem. I've added close to that on one version I did...it still flew!

Brian
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
Btw...it definitely can be done but you're probably not going to have much fun cutting one of these out by hand. Let me know if you want me to laser cut one for you. I won't do it for free but it's really not that expensive either.
Sweet! I'll gladly pay you to cut one for me. Drop me a pm with your paypal address. Thanks!
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Sweet hopefully it works out. I should have a little extra power with the setup I'm doing, so if it's a little heavy it should be ok. Though if it doesn't have good enough vertical I guess I'll have to make a little bit smaller one. Or just make it ligher!

Just ordered Depron Aero and carbon from RcFoam. I recommend them to anyone. And I've got elecs on backorder from HobbyKing. I'll probably have 3 airframes ready by the time they ship... oh well
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicufnoc View Post
And I've got elecs on backorder from HobbyKing.
Which electronics did you go with? I've just ordered one of cpdude's laser cut kits, so now I have to decide whether to rip the electronics out of my 4-site and build the Yak 55 now, or wait until I finish destroying the 4-site to rip out the electronics, or just order completely new stuff for the Yak 55.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Which electronics did you go with? I've just ordered one of cpdude's laser cut kits, so now I have to decide whether to rip the electronics out of my 4-site and build the Yak 55 now, or wait until I finish destroying the 4-site to rip out the electronics, or just order completely new stuff for the Yak 55.
GPS-C03 motor/gearbox - Should get about 55g thrust, according to other's results. I'm gonna use a 5x4.3 gws prop. Could probably go 5x3 or 6x3.
1 cell 3 amp esc
Turningy Nanotech 1s 160mah - I think there's a 120mah version too if you want lighter

1.7g linear servos - Rudder/Elevator
2.0g servo - Going to try one of these on ailerons. I think it will be enough, if not I'll probably go to two linear servos. Or maybe just two of these.

And I'm using an FrSky 3g micro reciever but I'm assuming you're using Spektrum, so you could use This
Last edited by Suicufnoc; Feb 25, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,685 Posts
@Darth - I'm really not offering a kit. I'm just trying offering laser cutting services to my fellow modelers and maybe coveri some of my costs.

@Suicufnoc - I'm definitely interested in hearing out how the single aileron servo works out.

Brian
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Now I just need to get some plastic. Probably go with the drop cloth I guess, or mylar if I can find some. I keep seeing things around the house that might work. I'm considering a very thin plastic bag from a store. The ones that are too weak to hold the groceries and rip.
Plus you get free cool artwork. Walmart logo or something...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,230 Posts
Suicufnoc, thanks very much for the links.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Suicufnoc, thanks very much for the links.
No problem. I'll let you know how it works out. The gearbox is on backorder though, so I don't expect to get the stuff for a couple weeks. On the bright side, the plane will definitely be done before next winters indoor flying season. (An already crashed and rebuilt several times )

Hobbyking says the 2g servo has 200g of torque, which seems like it should be more than enough to handle both ailerons. Mounting it may be a little bit of a pain, but shouldn't be much different than a larger foamy.
Last edited by Suicufnoc; Feb 26, 2011 at 09:39 PM.