HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:51 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
if it has thickness much more than paper the corner opposite the hinge has to be removed. just dont chop into where the hinge will go. as in this diagram. 3mm depron has more than enough thickness
Anomalous is offline Find More Posts by Anomalous
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:15 PM
United States, OR, Scappoose
Joined Nov 2003
159 Posts
What kind of paint are you guys using on the "mylar"?
hot4teach is offline Find More Posts by hot4teach
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:28 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
I've been painting the foam before covering. I use just a light dusting of Pactra R/C paint .

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Nov 2003
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
I've been painting the foam before covering. I use just a light dusting of Pactra R/C paint .

Brian
Oh well, too late for that. I think I might just use some sharpies.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
just had a maiden flight outside with my 2 cell, BL version. and it went quite well. i was surprised as i thought it might be too heavy to fly as it was designed for one cell. totally different to my 2s parkzone sukhoi although same weight and power system., as its really floaty and slow and just wants to go into a hover by default. the hover is surprisingly easily controlled even though im totally new to hovering a plane. i thought it was much more difficult to do lol! its quite well behaved and all controls work ok, even though i used a short throw brick and aileron servo. with power off it just stops level in mid air and floats down neutrally even without much input, so must have got the weight balance about right. little chance of crash damaging it. the rudder control is awesome; it turns very tightly. although the motors got some power, its size (more area than weight) dulls it alot compared to the suk. it still shoots vertical, but theres not alot of point really as unlike the sukhoi, its totally rubbish blasting around forward or vertically as you cant maintain it in level flight easily a high speed due to its sensitive flat wing shape, but thats probably true of most floaty profiles. one problem is my wing strengthening struts keep coming unglued during flight but hopefully ive fixed them securly now. i can see im going to have fun with this.

edit. weighed it today. AUW 48 grams
Anomalous is offline Find More Posts by Anomalous
Last edited by Anomalous; Apr 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
stop me i'll hurt myself
lancaster county pa
Joined Dec 2008
130 Posts
Got mine printed, now to find the staples for enlarging.
the riot is offline Find More Posts by the riot
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,673 Posts
paint for foam-and mylar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot4teach View Post
What kind of paint are you guys using on the "mylar"?
tamiya acrilic, sprayed, ads almost no weight.
that's what i use on my foamies.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2003
159 Posts
Maidened mine today and it flies great. So much better than the 4-site.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:52 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot4teach View Post
Maidened mine today and it flies great. So much better than the 4-site.
Thanks for the feedback!

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:47 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
I need to put mine together. I'm a little nervous about the build, but these things look so cool!
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2008
88 Posts
It's a simple build. I cut all the parts out first. I have a metal sheet that I lay on my bench which I tape the covering to pulling it tight and getting all the wrinkles out. Then I take each piece and dust it with 3m spray and then lay it on to covering and running my fingers back and forth making sure there is good adhesion. Then start building and adding electronics and carbon fiber. Took me about two hours all said and done
idigrc2 is offline Find More Posts by idigrc2
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idigrc2 View Post
It's a simple build. I cut all the parts out first. I have a metal sheet that I lay on my bench which I tape the covering to pulling it tight and getting all the wrinkles out. Then I take each piece and dust it with 3m spray and then lay it on to covering and running my fingers back and forth making sure there is good adhesion. Then start building and adding electronics and carbon fiber. Took me about two hours all said and done
Wow...no way I'll get it done that quick the first time!

Did you hinge the control surfaces?
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2008
88 Posts
I used some small pieces of hinge tape to hold everything in place while I was placing the covering on
idigrc2 is offline Find More Posts by idigrc2
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
United States, OH, Northwest
Joined Jan 2011
43 Posts
Every says these fly much better than the 4-site but how do they compare to the UMX Extra 300? (my gut guess says they should be very similar in slow flight abilities and agility)
Hancock is offline Find More Posts by Hancock
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2003
159 Posts
Got a chance to fly a little more in the shop yesterday. It's a 3-car bay and I'm not a wizard on the sticks by any means. The plane is great in a harrier. Knife edge has a little coupling but I mixed it out. Rudder turns are very predictable. I really like everything about it so far. I'm already thinking about the 2nd one I will build. It will probably be brushless and will try to get it a little lighter.
Also, the horns that Brian supplied are great. Makes the ailerons move much faster than on the 4-site.