Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Discussion
mAh logging on modern chargers

Hi,

I bought a lipo charger when I got into rc a while ago, it is good but very basic. No display but flashing LED's and beepers. I am looking to upgrade and want a charger that reports how many mAh went into the battery.

Lots of chargers indicate "Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)" but does this include the mAh that was charged? What I am reading doesn't really spell that out.

I also see as an advantage that my existing charger does not have a storage charge mode.
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Some charger have USB port and you can have PC software that can track and log and you can save this info BUT on its own the charger wont ATLEAST the memory you talk about is not for that.

Its basicaly a MODEL memory like in transmitter. It saves the charging SETTINGs. so if you have different pack that you mostly used you can save the setting and recall them by selecting that memory....

Storage charge feature is handy but once you understand how lipos work and whats best for them you can safely storage charge without the use of the sotrage charge feature.

BAsicaly charging the pack HALF FULL. Since you should never charge UNATTENDED then this is easy to do without the use of that feature. Simply looking at the voltage the cell are at you can determin half charge and manualy stop the charger...
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
I just looked at a Turnigy accucell manual, and on the screen it shows "charged capacity" on the lcd screen. I think this is what I am looking for. I like the usb feature, but it seems like this feature is getting more difficult to get.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:06 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,001 Posts
If your charger is OK other than the data display, another option would be to buy a watt meter. If you put that between the charger and the battery you will have a record of the capacity and also starting and ending voltages for the charge.

You can read about that here:

http://www.powerwerx.com/techdata/Watts-UP-V2.pdf

I think we all agree that a watt meter is one of the most valuable tools you can have for setting up RC electric power systems.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I don't know of any current generation charger with an LCD that won't tell you the total mAh put into a pack during a charge cycle or drawn from a pack during a discharge cycle.

They will also display the pack voltage. Most will have a way to display the individual cell voltages (so long as the balance lead is plugged-in, which for lipos should be always when charging or discharging).

They will all have a Storage mode. The better ones will automatically charge or discharge the pack as needed to reach the storage level, which is around 3.85V/cell, but can be anything between 3.75 and 4.00.

As mentioned, most offer "model" memories to store different combinations of settings for different packs.

Many offer a PC interface to support logging of the charge/discharge data. The iCharger range is one of the few to include on-board data logging. The charge/discharge data is stored internally and can be uploaded to a PC when needed.

There are many, many chargers out there that will be a significant improvement over what you describe as your current solution.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I placed an order for an iCharger106B/6792 , see how that goes.