Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2001, 05:07 PM
Olympia Washington
Joined Jan 2001
26 Posts
RC AEROCHOPPER computer Simulator

Hello all,
I am thinking about getting into helicopters and after reading many discussions concerning learning to fly heli's, its quite appearant that a flight simulator is the way to go. Does anyone have any experience with the RC AEROCHOPPER computer Simulator?

My computer is fairly old (P166) so most of the new simulators would not run on it.

Thanks

Rick
RickLinstad is offline Find More Posts by RickLinstad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2001, 06:46 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
Rick, I just got into helis myself, and just finished building my version of the ELMH. I broke out the old Aerochopper flight sim and started using it for the heli. I really never tried any other r/c flight sim, but I think Aerochopper is probably as good as any other. Of course the graphics are very basic, but the way the model reacts to control inputs are very realistic...and that's what counts. It really helped me a lot and I was able to hover my ELMH within a half hour of flight time. I have plenty experience with fixed wing r/c, so I guess that helps a bit.

The Aerochopper version I have is DOS based, but it'll work in Windows, but without sound support. I have version 1.0, which only has PC speaker sound, and version 2.0, which added soundcard support, but again, only in DOS.

My laptop has Win ME but after some Net searching I found a way to boot into DOS. I had to do a little fiddling with the operating system, but good old DOS is there if you need it.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Oct 08, 2001, 08:00 PM
Hondo, Texas
Joined Nov 2000
88 Posts
aerochopper

Rick,

If you decide on RC Aerochopper, I have one I would part with.
If interested email me at gwschader@yahoo.com and make me an offer. I have the manual, the disk, and the control box. If you want to see a review of the sim, go to http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/Aerochopperrevpage.html

Gerry
gerry schader is offline Find More Posts by gerry schader
Old Oct 09, 2001, 01:47 AM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
Aerochopper is a very good simulator. IMHO, the simulation is more realistic than G2. However, the graphics are EGA (640x350 16-color), so it isn't much to look at. Then again, try running G2 on anything w/o a 3D graphics card

BTW, I spoke with the author of Aerochopper at a trade show. He said he wrote the entire program in assembly language. No wonder it's so fast on ancient machines. Also explains why it hasn't been updated in a while ...

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Oct 09, 2001, 10:27 AM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Hi all,
I got the R/C Aerochopper sim back in '98 when I got in the hobby. I chose this sim because I did not have a radio at the time. It got me in the air the first time I flew planes! (no take offs or landings though). I made believers of sims out of the experienced fliers. On the same note, I'm doing helis now and have gotten short hovers, not just hops, on my first time out.
The only proble I have is getting it to work all of the time. There seems to be IRQ probs with my Win98. I have a bootable dos disk and the prog does not detect the TX. I have changed the sttings in the sim, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Oct 09, 2001, 02:39 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
Bill, When you boot the program in DOS, at the command prompt, try typing "rc 2" or "rc 3" or "rc 4". This forces the program to use IRQ 2, 5, or 7. With my old computer I had to use "rc 2" or the program wouldn't run.

Talk about a small program in this day of 100mb+ programs.
Aerochopper fits on one floppy disk!
Old Oct 09, 2001, 03:05 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Danny,
Thanks for the info. I had to do that on Win95 when I first got the sim and it worked . It also worked on my old work NT4.0 PC with a DOS boot diskette. But, I have been trying to make it work on a laptop with Win98 and a 9pin serial conn, and it won't. I tried all of the RC command combos and it never passes. I wonder if it is fighting something else for the IRQ.....
Old Oct 09, 2001, 09:12 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
Bill, First of all since you're trying to get it working on a laptop, have you activated the serial port? Have you used the serial port for anything else in the past? I have a Sony Vaio laptop and had to go into the Sony "setup" menu to activate the port. From there I can go ahead and change the assignments.

So if you can't get the Aerochopper software/hardware to work with the laptop, you might be able to tackle it from the other direction by changing the laptops settings......good luck.....
Old Oct 09, 2001, 09:18 PM
Cottam Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2001
19 Posts
Hi all
Bill, the pointing device often interferes with this program and others like it that use a serial port. I had to really tinker to get it working right but it often hangs the system. Usually you can get better results by booting to DOS and NOT just running in a DOS window.
Rick, I think this sim is #2 behind the CSM in the actual feel but it does help get the reflexes learned. I have the Aerochopper, Aerofly, G2, and CSM and will use the CSM myself and train newcomers on the Aerochopper.
Take care
Denny
Denny is offline Find More Posts by Denny
Old Oct 09, 2001, 09:34 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
Denny, You're right about running it in DOS. When I run it in a DOS window the program frequently crashes for me too.
Plus I get audio support in DOS, but not in Windows.
Old Oct 09, 2001, 09:49 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Guys,
Thanks for the great info. I have R/C Aerochopper on a diskette that also a bootable DOS disk. I don't run it in a window, but I still have the problem of the TX not being detected. I had this disk made previuosly because I was lending the sim out to people at work on NT workstations and the video was choppy until the sim loaded off of the DOS disk. I guess I need to recheck the ports, there must be a pointing device conflict. I can't recall ever having used the serial port. I have used the printer DB25 port (parallel), but not the serial.....
Old Oct 13, 2001, 10:07 PM
Olympia Washington
Joined Jan 2001
26 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your opinions on Rc Aerochopper. It sure helped. I just got one from ebay today and look forward to starting my heli training.
Rick
RickLinstad is offline Find More Posts by RickLinstad