HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:43 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Why don't vendors lists all the stats for a plane?

I am finally learning enough about sailplanes that I know which features I want to see when I am shopping. Some of the things I would like too know are the following.

1. Maximum prop size.
2. The complete make up of the fuse (is it entirely carbon, is there carbon reinformcement, is there kevlar?)
3. How the wing is built. Is there a spar, which sort of spar, carbon reinforcement, balsa or obeechi sheeting, what sort of molding?
4. Airfoil type.
5. How many cells and which size?
6. Weight.
7. Servo locations (in the fuse or in the tail?)

to be fair a lot of these items are listed but not all of them.

Are there some other stats you like to know before you buy a plane or do you just leap in and buy...

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2003, 01:09 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,700 Posts
Websites can get cluttered with all that data. However, you should always expect concise answers when you ask these questions directly.

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:12 AM
large member
beside the highway market
Joined Jan 2003
280 Posts
i think like dieter,to much info on one page can be overwelming and add a lot of clutter

i also agree that the vender should know all the info but really the best is this forum rite here

if it has been on the market for a while it will get a more practical reveiw which is more than good

another interesting thing to mention is dieters convidence in his knowledge of what he sells

one of the things that i get ticked at is when they include the weight but dont say with or without eq.
there should be a standard for weight please give us the weight of the airframe only

,vario
vario is offline Find More Posts by vario
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:21 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Some (most) of the questions posed require input from the asker, dealers can't be expected to cover everything nor are the majority of the public telepathic
Besides. Where is the fun in knowing all the answers? Life requires some unsolved queries
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:28 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
The one that really bothers me is that most vendors don't list the maximum prop size. They will make suggestions, but not list the biggest prop. That drives me crazy
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:14 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Add recommended pack configuration and CG range to the list. Also add that we want to see everything in standard and metric or everybody pick one (yea right).

I can't agree with the idea that too much clutters the site or that the dealers may not know. Here is a link to an example that I really like and it seems like this dealer 'knows' for hundreds of planes. Even the CG, throws and incedences (seriously, go look at this)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMZ5&P=0

Here is a link to a plane that is not theirs (same info): http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA07&P=0

I think the info would sure cut down on the phone calls before and after the sale and would result in better informed and satisfied customers.

Soapbox now gone
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:10 AM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Aug 2000
845 Posts
Make that weight of plane, just the plane. Bill is right, you can put the specs there without clutter. You can put it at the bottom of the page or in a pop up window.

Bobby
blfinche is offline Find More Posts by blfinche
Old Jul 19, 2003, 05:54 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Personally I would like to see:-
Nose length, which would give me maximum prop size.
Kit weight, which would enable me to work out flight loadings.
Provided they gave me accurate areas.
Europeans quote total surface areas. Wing + Stab.
We only quote wing area.
How about a standard factor to compare motors from?

Its our money after all
Old Jul 19, 2003, 08:50 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I would like to see the planes bad habits listed.. does it have a mind of it's own?.. does it fall out of the sky for no reason? should we fear it????
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:47 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,700 Posts
We at ShredAir are guilty as charged. The Hook, for example, will swing a 20" prop, while any Surprise maxes out at 17". Now, what does THAT tell you... ?
Bad habits: a Hook will hook you; a Surprise will surprise you. You'll want more, and we'll deliver...

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 20, 2003, 01:50 AM
Goin' Vertical
Salem, OR
Joined Nov 2001
708 Posts
Habits?

Dieter,

Does this mean:

the Stork will deliver you,

the Scorpio will sting you,

and the Tsunami will wet you?

tIgGeR
Tigger is offline Find More Posts by Tigger
Old Jul 20, 2003, 04:53 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Listing a plane's bad habits????!!!!!!!!!!!! Think of all that lovely money the lawyers will be collecting.

My plane crashed, no one told me it would break up on contact with the ground

How about pilot's bad habits? Start asking for certificates of competence on type before selling you the model Might be a good idea at that

The best source of information on anything you are going to buy is your buddy who has one already. Magazine reviews are not goingto tell you anything bad

If you want to be the leader of the pack then you are just going to have to take your chance

Many dealery now quote skill levels Many fliers ignore these