SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:41 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
Discussion
About clutch/flywheel in engines

Hello,
How to start... Recently I purchased some Cox pee wee 020 and tee dee 020 engines. After having hard time running them ( I know nothing about engines...but trying to learn) i finally made them all run...easy once you make them right sealed. This needed about a month of hard reading..
So after checking they run properly, Ive decided to give them some use. As Im not into airplanes but yes into microhelicopters (CP helis about 100 grams weight) I tought I could use these small engines to power them, but after all ive read ive found i need some kind of clutch/flywheel to keep the engine running without a propellor on it. So the question is:
-where can i find a clutch/flywheel with the appropiate size for these engines?
-if not available, where can i find plans to resize them and make it? (have friends working with cnc machines so cnc would not be a problem.

Hope this make some sense, saludos
Doblao
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:59 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
As of right now, there are NO flywheel or clutch for .020 model engines.

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:37 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
and

can I run one of the .049 like this one in a .020 engine?
Saludos
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
654 Posts
Doblao, The clutch from the Cox .049 powered car can be used if you can get it mounted to an .020. Centrifical clutches are designed for the horsepowered transmitted and the operating RPM. It just would not be wise to mount it on a larger motor and/or one that operated at a lower rpm. It will be fine.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:26 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
In addition to adapting the clutch over to an 020 you'll also need to arrange for some way to start the engine or include the pull starter you see on that .049. But the front nose of the .020 is shorter than on the .049 so some cutting would be needed. And if you can fit it then you'll also need to play around with the springs that pull the fly weights back to allow for the right sort of idle. The flyweights are what gives the centrifugal clutch its name. They are tuned with the spring to fly out and lock to the outer drum at the right RPM that allows the engine to idle without engaging but when sped up they lock to the outer drum from friction. In between they slip a little.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:18 AM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
561 Posts
someone with a lathe/mill can do it without much work...

many (and I mean maaany...) years ago me and my friends scratch built some 1/8 cars, powered by .21 engines...

the flywheels where made from 1/4" sheet aluminum, the clutch bell was made from steel...

we tried many materials for the clutch shoes from teflon to steel... the ones made from sheet steel where the best, most durable...

from what I remember spring tension wasnt critical at all...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:00 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcall View Post

from what I remember spring tension wasnt critical at all...
This statement is correct provided that you only need the clutch for starting. If the engine is throttled and you want disengagement, then the spring tension is critical.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
I'm not a heli flyer but think that you would need some kind of a fan and/or heat sink to cool the cyliinder and head I think that you might be better off using electric power for really small choppers.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged