HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:32 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,667 Posts
Discussion
Dualsky Mini Breeze 24" EPP 3D Indoor Foam Plane

Just curious if anyone is flying one of these? I haven't seen much info on these on the net.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:57 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2009
222 Posts
I had one of the 36" outdoor Breezes. It was my favorite front yard foamie 'til I destroyed it...
str8wing is offline Find More Posts by str8wing
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:05 PM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
I'm looking for info and videos on this plane as well.
Anyone have some links?
rsmheli is offline Find More Posts by rsmheli
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
I have one of these kits that I am just finishing up. Not quite in time to fly at my once a week indoor opportunity today.

The instructions for the kit are not great. The images are dark an small. Text is limited. So I had to do some guessing on assembly.

There wasn't enough CF rod for all the bracing. Fortunately I found some additional .8mm rod in my CF scrap pile.

I'm not sure about the hinging method, the hinges are just ~3mm bands of EPP that are left to span the gaps between the stationary surface (main wing, vert and horizontal stabilizers) and the moving surface. They seem too stiff. I tried loosening each surface up by flexing it prior to assembly but it didn't seem to help much.

On the plus side it does go together pretty easily. I'm hoping it won't weigh too much.

More next week...
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Last edited by JoeR; Dec 12, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:44 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
This plane has caught my attention as well. I look forward to a flight report Joe. 2dogrc has the instruction manual online and the pics look pretty good if you need to resort to it.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:04 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Khen- you're right the online manual has much better images (color and larger). The printed manual is half the size and black and white. Very hard to read.

But it doesn't look like I screwed up so I guess all ends well.

I used the Ultimate foam glue that 2Dog used to sell. I like the flexibility of this glue and/or UHU por glue over CA.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:42 AM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
I met a gentleman at a weekend indoor event that had one flying very nicely.
He was using lightened components and a HK 10 Gram motor with 2S 240mah packs. Not only would it pull out of a hover, it would actually accelerate straight up. Very impressive!
I think he would have let me fly it but he was using Mode 1 and I would surely have trouble with that.
Mine is on order.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Sure, you coulda flown it!

This plane is great for smaller indoor venues.

It has the "floaty" feel of a larger airframe.

With a Hobby King 10 gram motor and GWS 6/3 prop vertical is unlimited.

The hinges have proved to work fine. I did loosen them up a bit .

The fact that its EPP is a big plus.
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:56 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,234 Posts
wrugen, which motor, esc, batteries and servo's did you use for your build? I'm tempted to order one of the combo's from 2dogrc but I'm curious if I can get a better or cheaper power setup from else where. Thanks for any help.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:16 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Well, my flying venue was out of order last Saturday so I couldn't try out the mini Breeze.

I was putzing around in my workshop this morning and decided to try powering up the plane to see how much power it had.

Well my motor just isn't cutting it. This is NOT the recommended 2 Dog RC motor. Its one that I've had for a while. A 8 gram motor, can't remember the brand. But with a 6x3 prop on 2 cells it only pulls .7 amps. Specs on the packaging said it should pull more like 3 amps.

So, I need a new motor.

I'm concerned the recommended 2 dog motor won't have enough grunt as the AUW weight of the plane with 2- hyperion UM160 cells is right at 3 oz.

Which HK motor has been tried? Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:53 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Okay, the motor I have is a C10 - 2100. Here's a link to it on HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6585

I took a closer look at it and while I was removing the prop I noticed the bell was sliding on the shaft. I tightened up the bell and cranked it up. 2.2 amps on a 6x3 prop. better.

It won't hover out of my hand in my basement though. Need more power!

I have one of the silver 10g motors but it has a KV of only 1500.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:32 PM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
This is the motor I purchased and was recommended by wrugen
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5358

Mine is not even started yet but this motor has plenty of pull on a 6X3 prop as witnessed at a recent indoor event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Okay, the motor I have is a C10 - 2100. Here's a link to it on HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6585

I took a closer look at it and while I was removing the prop I noticed the bell was sliding on the shaft. I tightened up the bell and cranked it up. 2.2 amps on a 6x3 prop. better.

It won't hover out of my hand in my basement though. Need more power!

I have one of the silver 10g motors but it has a KV of only 1500.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
wrugen, which motor, esc, batteries and servo's did you use for your build? I'm tempted to order one of the combo's from 2dogrc but I'm curious if I can get a better or cheaper power setup from else where. Thanks for any help.
Sorry I took so long to reply.

Hobby King 10 Gram moter (link in previous post)
2.4 Blue arrow servos
6 amp Turngey SP control
240 ma 2 cell battery
6/3 GWS prop

Didn't see myself but my friend said the recomened motor from 2 Dogg wouldn't punch out of a hover
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:23 PM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
Mini Breeze completed

I finished mine tonight
I used an AR 6300, a 6 amp Thunderbird along with the 10 Gram motor, blue arrow servos and a 6X3 GWS. It will hover out of my hand a little over 1/2 throttle. 85 Grams with Hyperion 2S 240 maH.
My only complaint with the kit is mine was missing almost 1/2 of the required CF bracing material.
Will maiden tomorrow at our indoor fly.
Last edited by rsmheli; Jan 09, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo on all up weight. 85 grams not 185
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:55 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
I finally flew mine indoors the other night. Flew well. Not much punch though. It barely climbs from hover. I need a better motor.
My setup:
C10-2100kv motor with 7x3.5 prop
CC Phoenix 10 Esc
Hyperion UM160 cells with home made series connector
4-3.7 gram digital servos
lightened Hitec Optima 7 receiver

If I remember correctly, I'm at 3 oz.
Last edited by JoeR; Jan 09, 2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: updated prop size- initially posted 7x3 which was incorrect