HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion Samson II 35e??

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/model/SA...Label-1400.jpg

Anyone know anything about this plane?? It's a beaut, but I can't find much about it. Apparently they don't sell it without the motor.

Thanks.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:43 PM
USA, KY, Mt Sterling
Joined Sep 2010
79 Posts
i built one last month, have flown it 3 times so far. it was my first ARF. The motor it comes with is a brute. If you don't want it someone will buy it.

I recommend you get the plane, its amazing in the air and on the ground.

let me know if you have some Questions?
GarettR is offline Find More Posts by GarettR
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:16 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Garett,

Thanks, it is now just the small matter of convincing HER!!!

Anything tricky with the build??

Steve
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:54 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I would not replace the motor that comes with the plane, hyperion motors are brutal, and really, really good. That's why I use them on my gliders
Now, on convincing your wife, you need to take her to dinner to a fancy restaurant, buy her some nice dresses @ nordstrom/saks/bcbg, etc and that will do the trick (beware: no words in any alphabet will be reason enough to convince her, actions count more in this cases ...)
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:47 PM
USA, KY, Mt Sterling
Joined Sep 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Garett,

Thanks, it is now just the small matter of convincing HER!!!

Anything tricky with the build??

Steve
it was my first arf so everything was tricky to me. I felt like the directions were minimal but adequate. I used CA on everything, No Epoxy. The blind nuts all seemed crudded up and I should have used a tap first on all of them.

I would mock up the wings to the fuselage first then put on the horizontal stabilizer. Not enough reference on the bare fuselage and I definitely got the horizontal stabilizer off the horizontal plane, by simply centering it left to right.

But it flies and I've got it trimmed to go straight. If I was a precision flyer I'd probably have to debond the whole tail and get it right, but for now it works
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Being a biplane you will notice that you need to fly the plane all the way until touchdown when landing ... it is simply beautiful!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Dec 03, 2010, 07:38 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Garett,

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered mine from Allerc. I am planning on using the Hyperion motor, but I think I will use some Hitec servos and a Phoenix Ice lite 75 esc. This will be a little overkill on the esc, but it falls in a range that I can use for other planes in the future.

Which servos and esc did you go with?

Thanks.

Steve
Last edited by sgomes; Dec 03, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:42 PM
USA, KY, Mt Sterling
Joined Sep 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Garett,

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered mine from Allerc. I am planning on using the Hyperion motor, but I think I will use some Hitec servos and a Phoenix Ice lite 75 esc. This will be a little overkill on the esc, but it falls in a range that I can use for other planes in the future.

Which servos and esc did you go with?

Thanks.

Steve
congrats on the purchase.

I went with the Hyperions suggested in the instruction manual. Don't remember what the part numbers were. Plastic gears for ailerons and elevator. Metal gears for the rudder servo.

I bought a Linear BEC Hyperion 70A ESC and bought a castle creations SBEC that I spliced into the ESC. A little extra soldering work, but I didn't know the difference between LBEC and SBEC at the time.

Used the AR7000 Rx that came with my DX7

The instructions recommend ~8inch servo extensions for the ailerons, but my 6inchers worked fine with the length of the servo wiring.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:23 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
garett, thx. Will keep you updated on my progress.

Looks like you have some extra protection with the SBEC. The ICE LITE 75 comes with an SBEC, so think I'm just going to use that. I got four 85mg servos - not as powerful as the Hyperion digi's, but I think they will be fine. I'm using them in my 51" Slick where they get a pretty good workout without a problem, so I think they'll work in the Samson.

I'm going to use a 6110 rx. I've never had any kind of problem with them even out to 1000', so I have every confidence they'll work.

Yeah, I read about your issue with the hor stab. Very sorry about that, but it sounds like it really isn't affecting your flying. I'll never do anything that requires real precision, but at least I'm forwarned before I glue everything up.

Man, I'm nervous just thinking about maiden day, and the plane won't even be here until Tuesday at the earliest. Got my servos, and the esc should be here next week also, so I'm ready to begin the build.

It is clearly the most beauteous plane I will yet have, so I plan on taking my time with it. I'm a terrible modeler, given to rushed clumsiness - bad combination, so we will see if I can exercise some level of restrained, conscious attention to the build. THAT will be a first.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the diatribe.

Steve
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:11 PM
USA, KY, Mt Sterling
Joined Sep 2010
79 Posts
that ice lite 75a is what i should have used. just didn't know the difference of Linear and Switching BECs til I read the manual of the Hyperion ESC.

I'll put one in whatever my next plane will be.

I've seen too many signal losses on my friend's planes using recievers without the satellite rx. It might have been the Tx at fault, but not risking it on the Samson.

I've never had a signal loss, but his DX5e seems to have one every other month. Makes me nervous as he is one of only two people I know that use the Spektrum tech.

I'm sure if you've put together planes before you will know how to handle this build and maiden. It was a new experience all around for me and I had no idea how intimidating it would be to fly something I had glued, soldered, and pieced together.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:11 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this one myself. I prefer the 70e size Sampson so I may go with that instead.

The motor (and all the new Hyperion motors, I own several of them) are simply awesome. Everything in the motors are the best you can buy. They are incredibly efficient and powerful. IMO the best dollar for dollar on the market.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:58 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Garett, thx for getting back. The DX5 has known issues, but my DX7 has just been bullet-proof. But we have enough things to think about without having to worry about brownouts, so there is no question - one should go with whatever rx he is comfortable with, especially with special models like the Samson.

Buzz, thx for the input on the motors. FYI, here are a couple of threads that deal mostly with the 70. Hope they are helpful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065765
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015569

If you decide to get one (of course you will!!) and have the time, I would be interested in your progress with the build. I plan on keeping an update going here to document mine, which should begin tomorrow - FedX says it will be on my porch.

There is precious little info available on the Hyperion Samson's, or any other Hyperion models for that matter, and I find it confusing?? Indeed, they are pricier ARF's, but they are also of a very high quality and attention to detail - I think much higher than the average. I wonder why so little coverage??

Anyway, thanks again; and I will give my initial impressions tomorrow - just can't wait!!

Steve
Last edited by sgomes; Dec 07, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
It looks like Hyperion has 4 Pitts on the market currently that I see. Two Sampsons, Pitts Python and another "Limited" Pitts. I'm not sure if the two yellow ones are your typical Hyperion kits or what. Maybe David could shed some light but, from the threads I've found they all seem to be really nice birds.

Choices, choices
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:12 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Buzz, if you're serious about getting one, just wait a week. Routinely, one week after I get a new plane..............they go on sale!!

Steve
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Buzz, if you're serious about getting one, just wait a week. Routinely, one week after I get a new plane..............they go on sale!!

Steve
LOL! I feel your pain. My luck is another model is announced that I like better than the one I just purchased.