HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:03 AM
Joined Sep 2010
163 Posts
Airhead:
Not at the moment. Actually, it works out fine. When in high alpha, and it starts wing rocking, add a little throttle and a high amount of air coming out of the thrusters settles the wing down and then you can back off the throttle.
My second goal is to try to actually hover. I will have to purchase larger tubes to see if that can counteract the torque to have it stay in one place. If you look closely at videos, jets still rotate slowly to the right when trying to hover because there is no flow over the ailerons to counteract all of the torque produced by the plane. What the jets are doing is a very high alpha that is moving slowly that is controlled by the wind. (Wind pushes on both side of the wing) If you look at my video at roughly 2 min, you can see I was able to hold it from rotating for about 2-3 seconds. That is the thruster working.
To me, hovering is being able to hold it from rotating for at least 10 seconds.
I hover a 50cc airplane and it is very easy to keep the wings level and plane vertical, but this model having a wing taper and up high(don't have enough power to puch it and save it) is a challenge.
I conceived the thruster idea last year and it has fun designing it. Started using nyrod as thrusters and worked my way up. Have side aside and added canards and found that very helpful. Now does cobras even tighter at low altitude and flies slower and better upside down.
Besides having the design fun, it has open a new style of flying. Thrusters, thrust vectoring, canards offer excitement in your flying. Others want speed (I did pylon racing 180-195mph) but it requires big areas, so I am like you, do it slowly and precise.
aero1960 is offline Find More Posts by aero1960
Last edited by aero1960; Dec 09, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:15 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Another cool thing I learned on here...thanks.
TT, what's happening there, is that the strakes are basically a delta wing and delta's produce some of their lift from leading edge vortex. this vortex follows along the leading edge and spills off the end of the wing. add that to another wing and that vortex spills onto the root of the "other" wing. so planes like the F-16 and F-18 utilize this vortex, by allowing the root to stall a lot later in AOA than it normally would without it. kind of ingenious, aint it?

paddles might be a simpler method than a gimbling cone. sort of liek the thrust vectoring Squal. would be much simpler to design and could be put right inside the exhaust cone to hide it.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,788 Posts
..........here is what my target would be. WOW.

Rafale EDP TV indoor rc jet (2 min 42 sec)

AND

Thust Vector rc Aerovatic EDP jet (2 min 20 sec)
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
Miami, Fl
Joined Dec 2007
8 Posts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/makosrc...n/photostream/

This is my old F-16 from Feibao the prototype dry weight 45lbs take off weight 53lbs :-) AMT 450 45lbs of thrust
marvinf14 is offline Find More Posts by marvinf14