1,313 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing 1/4 scale Go Kart - SWARM

It's new.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15284

List Price is $99.99

I'm setting up a SWARM - price goes to $ 92.40 if I get 5 other people to join

http://www.hobbyking.com/SwarmSale.asp?id=49473

Please reply below if you joined the swarm.

Got 6 out of 6! Placed my order!! Thanks to all who joined!

Swarm probably live for another couple of hours.

Join and check if it went into your shopping cart.

As usual with mail order, there is a shipping charge. This amount will vary depending which country you are in.

Also this is not RTR, and the product page clearly states other items will be required.

I don't work for HobbyKing so don't address your concerns about the design to me.

I just want to buy one of these at a reduced price.

If you do not know what a HobbyKing swarm is, go to the site and read up about it first.

Let's post build details in the other thread on this product.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343370
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Shipping charge / other items etc / Swarm Status
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
Always were your sun glasses!
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
I was browsing this and other forums I belong to and started reading. I found this and said WHAT THE? Pan cars don't hold this belt design nor will they ever. You'll only see this in solid chassis touring and off road 4x4 rc cars. So why a speedy rc kart? It doesn't work due to the flex between one pod and the other part of a chassis. The belt will only travel and loose strength and power. You can CAD it all you want and design it all you want. It comes down to the fact of the motor and gearing needs to be all on one pod for it to work correctly on a pan chassis setup like this kart. You can try to tighten up the T-bar plate screws to rduce this travel but you'll loose traction no matter what. A stiff rear ended pan car is no fun but replacing worn belts is even worst.

Allow me offer examples of the belt setup on this kart.

One, look at Kyosho, MRC and other kart brands out there now or even in the past. All have had belt or chain drives and all have worked well. Either way, these branded karts were on the same solid one piece chassis. Everything runs in one straight line on these karts. Like a drive shaft if you will.

Example two? Look at this kart/belt design as a bike chain. If the your bike chain is crooked, it won't work or it will bind up one. In a belt format it will be wear. Need I mention it will or could come off. I don't see a side rail nor belt tentioners like the karts mentioned above either. It could be a $30.00 option down the road.

Food for thought? I did months of research before I bought my first kart. The first one I rushed into as it was nitro. A huge mistake for me and my neighbors at 9pm on the street. I do have a cop for a good friend nowNeedless to say I've since moved on to my second rc kart. Like this one I to run electric.

Leadhauler
Leadhauler is offline Find More Posts by Leadhauler
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:06 PM
Out side of Destin FL.
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
So I guess people are allowed to toss and post spam in this forum. I'll have to spread the word then on that.

Did you notice? He forgot shipping cost of 25.00 plus. Thats the swarm cost bro!

JB'
djskiptonic is offline Find More Posts by djskiptonic
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
MightyDog
Southern state of Alabama
Joined Jan 2010
221 Posts
So why again the two piece chassis setup Leadhauler? I agree I'm a newbie to this kart and rc thing but I get what you said about the bike chain. It makes sense. I guess they did't think the belt would stretch much with that brushless and 2s Poor judgement on design but a pan car like this would be cool if it actually worked somehow. Maybe a blet tensioner is in the works.

Digdug
DigDug is offline Find More Posts by DigDug
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:22 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djskiptonic View Post
So I guess people are allowed to toss and post spam in this forum. I'll have to spread the word then on that.

Did you notice? He forgot shipping cost of 25.00 plus. Thats the swarm cost bro!

JB'
Shipping cost will vary depending which country you are in. I figure most people on rcgroups are smart enough to check the cost of shipping themselves on the HK site.

The shipping cost (that applies to a specific country) is the same for the list price and the swarm price since it's based on the shipping weight.

There's a $7.59 discount = 8% on the item.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:28 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug View Post
So why again the two piece chassis setup Leadhauler? I agree I'm a newbie to this kart and rc thing but I get what you said about the bike chain. It makes sense. I guess they did't think the belt would stretch much with that brushless and 2s Poor judgement on design but a pan car like this would be cool if it actually worked somehow. Maybe a blet tensioner is in the works.

Digdug
A guy called "handyman" posted two items in the discussion tab for this item over at HK. Just quoting what he posted.

ordered mine on the 24 and got it today!:-) this thing is awsome fast,you need to roll into the throtle gently or it goes into donuts,.,i never got it to max speed! unfortunately when i tried a standing start it shot the anti rotation pin out of the axle drive pulley( :-( how do i go about ordering the axle drive pulley and metal pin?

------------

it is beyond HOT!it needs to be run on a very smooth surface as it has no suspension other than chassis flex.,the tires have so much traction and the motor has so much power that the drive pulley broke and the anti rotation pin came out thru the side of the pulley. i only got to run it for 5 or ten minutes before this happened ., i still cant believe i got it delivered to california/usa in three days! you guys are really stepping up your game with the shipping! if you are interested in examining the part that failed i can return to you as it is a very interesting failure,the pin came thru the side of pulley allowing the pin to fly out., this thing has more power than it can use so i dont think anyone will need to swap motors for more performance.,i cant wait to get it going again,., thanks for the great deal and the super fast shipping!
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 29, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Someone posted this pic in the Files tab for this item at HK

Titled "Tyre Wear"
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Sir, How do you figure solid one peice chassis. To you it may be a chassis but it is two. It has a "CUT" TBAR design in the back end of this kart. Not sure about your product knowledge then, Look at your lit they sent you. It shows it and A Tbar adjustment. Series of side to side travel screws. I know as I am a rc pro racer that travels for a 5 LARGE companies and one who holds rc knowledge. Not some little young kid ooh and ahh over some images of a kart here.
As for the Rolling throttle? I'd hope so, thats how you drive all rc cars. If you hit full throttle and it spins, there to much motor or gearing's off. With karts I find its all about weight to.

To mention the pulley? I told you so. And for fellow buyers? It will happen again as the rear FLEXES! and the motor and pulley will seldom be in line properly. Take a corner, the belt is at a angle. This will endure extream wear. End of subject sir so stick to Spamming and selling. Not rc setup or knowledge.

Leadhauler
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Looks like bad tire wear to due to camber and caster design of the kart.

Leadhauler
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadhauler View Post

End of subject sir so stick to Spamming and selling. Not rc setup or knowledge.

Leadhauler
I don't work for HobbyKing.

I want to buy this kart. I get a cheaper price if I get 5 other people to join the swarm.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:13 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
@ Leadhauler

The comments posted in # 6 are not my comments, they are from someone who actually has one of these. That's clearly stated:

A guy called "handyman" posted two items in the discussion tab for this item over at HK. Just quoting what he posted.

I don't know who originally uploaded the picture at HobbyKing in post #7. Update: This picture was uploaded by a staff tester / photographer of HK called Samme.

He comments: Because it has no rear diff it's a real tyre shredder, lucky Hobbyking has plenty of spares at a low price.
Check out the files tab where I uploaded an image of a tyre after 1 whole hour of hard laps at our local track.
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 29, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: photo source
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Either way its a bad design. Call it like it is. You wouldn't run your kids bike chain at that angle. Why an rc? It's darn silly and sad as this could have been a nice kart for the funds for thos elooking at a large scale for xmas. I give it till march of next year like most have been. 6 months run tops! Expensive hopups will be the only thing to save it due to its flaws. The tires show that and next will be someone posting a worn belt like back n the 80's when belts were polular.

Leadhauler
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:36 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadhauler View Post
Either way its a bad design. Call it like it is. You wouldn't run your kids bike chain at that angle. Why an rc? It's darn silly and sad as this could have been a nice kart for the funds for thos elooking at a large scale for xmas. I give it till march of next year like most have been. 6 months run tops! Expensive hopups will be the only thing to save it due to its flaws. The tires show that and next will be someone posting a worn belt like back n the 80's when belts were polular.

Leadhauler
Go to the HobbyKing site, post your concerns about the design flaws in the forums there as well, or in the discussion tab on the product page.

Look for a guy called jason5001 , works as cs for HobbyKing.

In the meantime, anyone in the swarm that just completed, post your delivery status at the other thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343370
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:33 AM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
780 Posts
I've looked the pics over many times...apparently single plate chassis..no "T-BAr" in sight

imgumby
imgumby is online now Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby View Post
I've looked the pics over many times...apparently single plate chassis..no "T-BAr" in sight

imgumby

Look, believe me, I am not trying to come off here as a know it all ok? I just have years and years of rc experience in both design and driving. Probably more years than most of you guys have had in rc sales. Yet I'm not that old either. Heres the proof and as I said before, you guys really need to look, read, buy or obtain a kart in order to show your credibilty on here. You have a great looking product but looks is not everything on the track. However, Most of us here in the large scale section and more so in the Team Edge Kart forums are just that. Either X pro, semi at one time or, lets just say some still could be. My Point? We do know what were talking about when we say something regarding rc. This is why we assist those in forums correct? Knowledgebable rc people answering question to newbies or those who lack?

Now, look at the pictures and point shown to all now.

Leadhauler
Last edited by Leadhauler; Dec 03, 2010 at 01:12 PM.