HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:19 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Jan 2010
138 Posts
Discussion
Front wheel wire attached to engine mount

Hi folks.

i'm working on my Koala RC plane (maybe you've never heard about this model, because was designed in argentina long time ago). the original design uses an engine mount with front landing gear. i have only a dave brown 1519 engine mount. i'll make a hole and use it (the mount) as a front landing gear support.

do you think is a god idea?

Regards;

Mauricio
Mauricio2346 is offline Find More Posts by Mauricio2346
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:30 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
better idea is to take a small peice of hardwood and drill whole in that and strategically position it where it will work and not effect engine

just an opinion make sure firewall is strong
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:32 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Back when I had hair, we used to just bend the gear wire into an "L", and insert it between the firewall and the engine mount. That always worked...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:17 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
that works better if you have a dual fire wall and you thread it and epoxy it between the two but he want to steer his i believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Back when I had hair, we used to just bend the gear wire into an "L", and insert it between the firewall and the engine mount. That always worked...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Jan 2010
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
that works better if you have a dual fire wall and you thread it and epoxy it between the two but he want to steer his i believe
you're right! i want this wheel to be steereable.
i saw this modified engine mount

http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo...n_firewall.jpg

and i thought that a tiny hole below the mount can support the landing gear wire. even in a hard landing or crash, the engine-mount-front wheel could stay together and protect the propeller or the engine itself.

http://www.marionvillemodels.com/rc-...ngineMount.jpg

above you can see what i want to do. this one is made on aluminum. mine is made of glass nylon.

here's another example:
http://www.selectdigitals.com/images/fix/6.jpg

Regards;

Mauricio
Mauricio2346 is offline Find More Posts by Mauricio2346
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
have you considered taking a block of hardwood about 1/3 inch thick drill hole in that for wire and ad a color to top and bottom and mount that between the mount and a firewall

ill be able to show you in photo tomorrow

works well and allows you to deal with rough landings without issue
worst case scenario you just replace wood